Juneau Helicopter Tour Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Juneau Shore Excursions > Helicopter Tour

Helicopter tours are a must-do in Alaska and it's easy to understand why. Nothing beats the view of Juneau's glaciers and icy waters from above.

LilMsFoodie

1 review

Era Helicopter tour with dog sledding on the Juneau Ice field was the highlight of our trip. A 20 minute ride over glaciers and valleys is awe inspiring. We loved learning about the dogs and each were able to mush the team for a short distance.

Provider: Celebrity Cruises

nazarene-lady

1 review

We booked with Coastal Helicopters -- went over Glaciers and landed to do dog sledding.
Once in a lifetime experience.

James M

1 review

The helicopter flight to Mendenhall Glacier has always been a highlight for me whether it was my first one in 1985 or the most recent one this September. Mother Nature is just incredible and the trip makes all those college geology courses come to life immediately upon setting down on the glacier and walking around for about 30 minutes. This time we had 3 young people who helped explain some things and help people from wandering too far away.

It is an expensive tour but I would save up and even do it a 3rd time should I return to Juneau.

LarBear

4 glacier helicopter tour with 20-30 minutes on a glacier. If you can afford this, do it! Awesome views of several glaciers from the air, then land on glacier for a 20 minute or so tour. Our guide was excellent, and landing on the glacier was other-worldly, and extremely cool (and cold!, bring a something warm, even if it is warm in Juneau!).

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

WEGL81

Experience of a lifetime. Flying over a ridge into the valley with the glacier and other snow-capped mountains was stunning.

capecod14

1 review

We did the "Pilot's Choice" tour which meant we did 2 landings on the glacier. Our pilot, George, was very good. Our stops and walks on the glaciers gave us an opportunity to walk around see some amazing sights, actually have an opportunity to drink water that had melted in small pools from the glacier and witness some of the "activity" that takes place in the overall texture of the glacier.

My best recommendation for this trip is to bring walking sticks as it is very uneven surface and can be slippery.

The views during the chopper ride were magnificent and will remain in the "mind's eye" forever.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

sailingfinn

A true highlight. Flying through canyons, valleys and then landing on an isolated glacier ( pilot thought Mendenhall was too crowded). Hard to describe the sensations. Wished I had booked 2 trips back to back.

cuckoo32

1 review

Part of the dog sled tour to get to base camp

bkghosh

1 review

The helicopter tour and the dog sledding experience was great, but very expensive.

Provider: Holland America Line

FunGranny

This was a great tour that included dog sledding. Only wish we had more time on the glacier.

CruisingAg01

I booked a Coastal Helicopters and Dog Sledding tour independent of Carnival. We had one person in our party right on the 250 lb. weight limit and I didn't want to pay an extra half seat for Carnival. Coastal allowed up to 280 lbs. This was an incredible experience and the absolute highlight of our entire trip. My first helicopter ride and it was so smooth and exciting despite my normal apprehension about flying. A driver picked us up right out of the ship and their staff helped us get suited up with protective footwear and rain gear. None of this was necessary due to our perfect weather, but they are prepared.

PiperNY

1 review

Well organized and had a great time dog sledding on the glaciers.

rosie1019

1 review

I went on the Tracy Arm Cruise and loved getting up closed with the glaciers, then in the afternoon I went on the Helicopter/ Dog Sledding - Loved the helicopter, but the snow on the glacier was getting soft and trying to walk in 18-20"s of snow was really hard. The dog sledding was fun. My husband went on the fly fishing trip and had a wonderful time- done very well and he caught a lot of the Dolly Varden trout.

Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises

dandman14

1 review

Pilots Choice. The price is high for a reason, you get the best experience. As a helicopter pilot myself, I can say this pilot was safe and smooth on the controls.

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

LOU

SAME COMPANY DEALING WITH CRUISE LINE BUT OFFERED A DISCOUNT IF BOOKED INDEPENDENTLY. BEST EXPERIENCE OF THE CRUISE.

lmfan9

1 review

I booked a helicopter ride to the glacier with Coastal Helicopter ($267/person). It was a wonderful experience. They provided a car ride to their helicopter airport. The people were nice and professional. The ride was smooth and calm. We went to Herbert Glacier. It was just incredible. We landed on the glacier and hanged out for about 30 minutes. What a life time experience!!!!!

Pink35

Left by way of helicopter up to a summit on a glacier and landed. There was a musher dog camp on the glacier where guides took us dog sledding for approximately 1 hour. The guides were very friendly and helped take many pictures with the dogs. We then took a helicopter ride back down to Juneau.

Watson's aunt

wonderful. I was lucky to get a front seat. I would be very unhappy if I was seated in the middle in the back seats. I say by the door on way out and said to lady next to me she could sit by the door on way back. Its a wonderful trip. I walked around town and did some shopping. I got a free ulu at some store I was in and when I went in to the federal building I was stopped. I was told to go to the Information center across the street and leave it there.So I did. I remembered it at dinner. I called the next day and they sent it to me I received it this week. Juneau is a beautiful city. I also took the bus to Mendenhall Glacier the weather was getting bad and it started to rain. Its a wonderful place to spend a day here

Provider: Holland America Line

Youbetterbelizeit

Juneau- we booked through the ship the helicopter ride to the Mendenhall Glacier This is not to be missed ! expensive but worth every penny! The Pilots make you feels so at ease it was a smooth ride there and back. 6 people in each helicopter plus the pilot. They give you boot covers with spikes to put over your shoes. Dress warm.

Provider: Celebrity Cruises

CanWeGoYet?

I got the 2 for 1 deal through tour saver coupon book. They picked us up by the tram in Juneau, but unfortunately they must have overbooked & we ended up having to wait nearly 2 hours for our scheduled flight. By this time my stomach was empty, & I get motion sickness really easy if my stomach is empty. Wish I had thought to bring motion sickness meds with me or at least some crackers. We were packed in to the heli like sardines. 4 in the backseat, none of us are what I'd call fat but I could hardly move or breathe we were in so tight. I got awful the whole way, but at least didn't get sick in the helicopter. I felt bad for myself & the other people. Taku glacier was beautiful but I couldn't enjoy the flight, I was glad when it was over.

tbeemer2

1 review

Awesome Awesome Awesome. Once in a life time oppurtunity to be helicoptered up to a glacier and then play around on it for awhile.