Skagway Hiking Excursion Reviews

Skagway Hiking cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Slide on your sneakers and hike along Skagway's coastline, around its winding trails, and through its forest to enjoy Alaska's natural splendors. You may even catch a glimpse of a bear along the way!
Member Image 56suzy
Jun 2014

Hiked to Yakutania Point & Smuggler's Cove. The point was nice but we made a wrong turn going to the cove and ended up down a totally different trail.

Read 56suzy's full Crown Princess cruise review
Member Image Crentist
Not Rated
Aug 2013

We decided to hike in the woods just outside of town. It was absolutely gorgeous. Creeks, lakes, and waterfalls all over. The problem was that it was much more difficult and longer than we anticipated. The maps were a little too crude and the path markings not too helpful. And our biggest mistake was not taking any water with us. Because of the heat and the unexpected length and difficulty we became quickly dehydrated. We will remain forever grateful to the couple who gave us their full water bottle. Please take this hike, but also be prepared.

Read Crentist's full Star Princess cruise review
Member Image SnowBird Cruzer
Aug 2013

This was an amazing adventure. The guides informed us of many of the plant species we encountered, showing us the good ones from the bad ones. I even ate a leaf from something. We took a detour to see one of the Cabin's you can rent in the Tongass Nat Forest as we met the prior occupants on the walk down.
Standing on the glacier was awesome. Looks can be deceiving up there. When we came to a 100 ft deep moulin, I didn't even realize we were that far above the ground level. Simply amazing.
The scenery along the White Pass Railway was breathtaking (and not in a Seinfeld way). Be sure to look out for Mickey Mouse on the way up the tracks. Between miles 7-10, I would say.
The guides were from Packer Expeditions and I would contract with them in a heartbeat.

Read SnowBird Cruzer's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image seminolegal
Jul 2013

It was steep hike on the Chilkoot Trail. Good...although not great.

Read seminolegal's full Seven Seas Navigator cruise review
Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Member Image ella1960
Jul 2013

Awesome hike on the Chilkoot Trail, with knowledgeable guide. While driving to the trailhead, saw a humpback whale and several seals.

Read ella1960's full Amsterdam cruise review

Read Gilly allen's full Volendam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image S_S
Jun 2013

I had wanted to do some sort of nature hike and finally found a vendor that ended up working with the cruise line to add the excursion to the ones available through the ship http://www.packerexpeditions.com/skagway-day-tours/denver-valley-wilderness-hike-white-pass-railway-adventure. This was a full day tour which included a bus ride, train ride to the White Pass and a 4 hour hike. We figured booking through the cruise might be better as we wouldn't have any issues if the tour ran late (which was not a problem at all..). The train and scenery were really spectacular and the hike was fun too - if a bit arduous for me at least... I might have been OK with just a bit shorter walk, although early on they split us into a faster and slower group... but we ended up in the faster group. In any case, the guides were very nice and clearly enjoyed living and working in Alaska. After the hike, we caught the train back to town.

Read S_S's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Member Image kolohe280
Sep 2012
I would highly recommend this excursion. It consisted of a two mile hike and a float trip that would have made me happy if it had gone on forever. The guide was great!
Read kolohe280's full Statendam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image TrnrMom
Jul 2012
Its a longest walk to Jewel Gardens, which was mildly disappointing on a second visit - they have raised their prices in the gift shop, and the gardens/train seem to be less robust than last time. The Pioneer Cemetery is mildly interesting. The hike to Lower Douglas Falls was mildly strenuous but worth the view.
Read TrnrMom's full Island Princess cruise review
Member Image hyker1
Jul 2012
We did the White Pass Railway/Laughton Glacier Hike. This trip isn't for non-hikers. And you definitely need adequate foot-wear... hiking boots!!! Fortunately, the rain lifted this day and we did four miles in/out to Laughton Glacier. The guides were excellent and really catered to individual needs on the hike. There was one lady struggling, and one of the guides stayed back with her, which was really great. We actually saw a bear on the hike which made everyone happy, and the guides were really knowledgeable about local plant life, history, etc. The train ride to get to the hiking drop-off point was splendid. Really enjoyed the scenery and history of the Klondike. This is supposedly the most strenuous shore-excursion on NCL's Alaska cruises so far. Be advised, there's a lot of loose scree (rocks) and ice you have to climb up and then back down. We used trekking poles, but the guides will offer them, as well as let you make sandwiches. They even offer fanny-packs. This is an outstanding shore excursion and I highly recommend it.
Read hyker1's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image Blazergirl1960
Jul 2012
This is a VERY difficult hike which is described as 'uneven terrain' and does recommend good physical health. I am 70 and my husband 73 (3 years post total knee replacement.) We went to Amsterdam last year and had no problem walking 4 or 5 miles a day. This hike was unbelievable...straight up at times with tree roots all different sizes and shapes as steps, nothing to hold on to. If it hadn't been for the wonderful tour guide, John Harmon, I would have never made it. However, it was a fabulous experience and another beautiful day but they need to upgrade the difficulty of this hike. Was I happy went we floated down the river on the raft! Spectacular scenery too.
Read Blazergirl1960's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review