Skagway Hiking Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Skagway Shore Excursions > Hiking

Slide on your sneakers and hike along Skagway's coastline, around its winding trails, and through its forest to enjoy Alaska's natural splendors. You may even catch a glimpse of a bear along the way!

56suzy

1 review

Hiked to Yakutania Point & Smuggler's Cove. The point was nice but we made a wrong turn going to the cove and ended up down a totally different trail.

Crentist

1 review

We decided to hike in the woods just outside of town. It was absolutely gorgeous. Creeks, lakes, and waterfalls all over. The problem was that it was much more difficult and longer than we anticipated. The maps were a little too crude and the path markings not too helpful. And our biggest mistake was not taking any water with us. Because of the heat and the unexpected length and difficulty we became quickly dehydrated. We will remain forever grateful to the couple who gave us their full water bottle. Please take this hike, but also be prepared.

Provider: Princess Cruises

SnowBird Cruzer

This was an amazing adventure. The guides informed us of many of the plant species we encountered, showing us the good ones from the bad ones. I even ate a leaf from something. We took a detour to see one of the Cabin's you can rent in the Tongass Nat Forest as we met the prior occupants on the walk down.
Standing on the glacier was awesome. Looks can be deceiving up there. When we came to a 100 ft deep moulin, I didn't even realize we were that far above the ground level. Simply amazing.
The scenery along the White Pass Railway was breathtaking (and not in a Seinfeld way). Be sure to look out for Mickey Mouse on the way up the tracks. Between miles 7-10, I would say.
The guides were from Packer Expeditions and I would contract with them in a heartbeat.

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

seminolegal

1 review

It was steep hike on the Chilkoot Trail. Good...although not great.

Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises

ella1960

1 review

Awesome hike on the Chilkoot Trail, with knowledgeable guide. While driving to the trailhead, saw a humpback whale and several seals.

Gilly allen

Thoroughly enjoyable

S_S

I had wanted to do some sort of nature hike and finally found a vendor that ended up working with the cruise line to add the excursion to the ones available through the ship http://www.packerexpeditions.com/skagway-day-tours/denver-valley-wilderness-hike-white-pass-railway-adventure. This was a full day tour which included a bus ride, train ride to the White Pass and a 4 hour hike. We figured booking through the cruise might be better as we wouldn't have any issues if the tour ran late (which was not a problem at all..). The train and scenery were really spectacular and the hike was fun too - if a bit arduous for me at least... I might have been OK with just a bit shorter walk, although early on they split us into a faster and slower group... but we ended up in the faster group. In any case, the guides were very nice and clearly enjoyed living and working in Alaska. After the hike, we caught the train back to town.

kolohe280

1 review

I would highly recommend this excursion. It consisted of a two mile hike and a float trip that would have made me happy if it had gone on forever. The guide was great!

Provider: Holland America Line

TrnrMom

Its a longest walk to Jewel Gardens, which was mildly disappointing on a second visit - they have raised their prices in the gift shop, and the gardens/train seem to be less robust than last time. The Pioneer Cemetery is mildly interesting. The hike to Lower Douglas Falls was mildly strenuous but worth the view.

hyker1

We did the White Pass Railway/Laughton Glacier Hike. This trip isn't for non-hikers. And you definitely need adequate foot-wear... hiking boots!!! Fortunately, the rain lifted this day and we did four miles in/out to Laughton Glacier. The guides were excellent and really catered to individual needs on the hike. There was one lady struggling, and one of the guides stayed back with her, which was really great. We actually saw a bear on the hike which made everyone happy, and the guides were really knowledgeable about local plant life, history, etc. The train ride to get to the hiking drop-off point was splendid. Really enjoyed the scenery and history of the Klondike. This is supposedly the most strenuous shore-excursion on NCL's Alaska cruises so far. Be advised, there's a lot of loose scree (rocks) and ice you have to climb up and then back down. We used trekking poles, but the guides will offer them, as well as let you make sandwiches. They even offer fanny-packs. This is an outstanding shore excursion and I highly recommend it.

Blazergirl1960

1 review

This is a VERY difficult hike which is described as 'uneven terrain' and does recommend good physical health. I am 70 and my husband 73 (3 years post total knee replacement.) We went to Amsterdam last year and had no problem walking 4 or 5 miles a day. This hike was unbelievable...straight up at times with tree roots all different sizes and shapes as steps, nothing to hold on to. If it hadn't been for the wonderful tour guide, John Harmon, I would have never made it. However, it was a fabulous experience and another beautiful day but they need to upgrade the difficulty of this hike. Was I happy went we floated down the river on the raft! Spectacular scenery too.