Skagway Gold Panning Excursion Reviews

Skagway Gold Panning cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Catch the gold fever searching for yellow nuggets in the heart of historic Skagway.
Member Image knittinggirl
Sep 2014
Third part of this tour and the most disappointing. The gold panning was hokey, and they scattered some gold flakes around the trough to make it seem like you got some gold.
Read knittinggirl's full Celebrity Century cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image AlaksaCruise
Aug 2014

We did the Gold Panning/Salmon Bake & White Pass Railway. If we were to come into this town again we would have walked to town - immediately taken the White Pass Railroad and then enjoyed the beauty/quaint little town of Skagway. We may have also done rafting, dog sledding or glacier point.
The gold panning/salmon bake is a waste of TIME and money. Do not buy in to this tourist trap. You are not in a river panning for gold (you are at a wooden table) and the salmon bake is not outside next to the river as I was hoping - it was in a building.

Read AlaksaCruise's full Celebrity Solstice cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image niceguyneastbay
Aug 2014

Its ok. bit on the cheesy side. You get a history lesson about gold mining and some of the staff dress up.

Read niceguyneastbay's full Zuiderdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image Tarheelmama
Aug 2013

Pretty corny.

Read Tarheelmama's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Provider: Disney Cruise Line
Member Image JudyA_TX
Sep 2012
I really didn't like this bit at all. It was SO touristy. I felt as though I was at Six Flags and being shuttled through just so I could end up in the gift shop to buy gold jewelry. Yes, we had the chance to try panning for gold in warm water troughs. And, yes, I did end up finding $14.66 worth of gold flakes (according to the woman who weighed my gold in the gift shop). But that was about it. I wouldn't do that again.
Read JudyA_TX's full Star Princess cruise review
Member Image Milenka17
Sep 2012
We panned for gold in Liarsville, but it was a little silly. You were given a pan that they put gold in and you had to get gold out using the techniques they showed you. We got a few flakes.
Read Milenka17's full Star Princess cruise review
Member Image baruchgershom
Aug 2012
We went on the Liarsville gold panning. We were more interested in the show than finding gold. The show was cute.
Read baruchgershom's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image Vietri Sul Mare
Aug 2012
Gold panning was fun and more difficult that what I expected!
Read Vietri Sul Mare's full Golden Princess cruise review
Member Image Gcjcruisers
Jul 2012
Gold panning was very fun to participate in. The characters were very entertaining. And I had more gold in my pan than my wife, which made it all worth while. When you take your gold to have it weighed and sold, don't have them put it into the plastic vials. Keep it in the black film canisters. You can pick up a small glass vile for only a couple of bucks instead of paying the $20.00 for them to put it in one there.
Read Gcjcruisers's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image candidcio
Jun 2012
We were looking for a quick, inexpensive excursion in Skagway. We went to the Liarsvile camp and salmon bake. The food was good, but not great. The folks were very friendly and entertaining. It was educational, but a little campy, so you have to bring the right attitude. Afterwards I realized that the ship docked at an excellent trail (Devil's lake). I did get a chance to hike that rail (up a steep hill). It was lovely and if I were doing it again I would go on the free hike to get some exercise and catch some beautiful views. There is an internet cafe with several computers you you can rent cheaply. I had to take care of some work and this place saved my bacon.
Read candidcio's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review