St. Thomas Helmet Dive Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > St. Thomas Shore Excursions > Helmet Dive

Dive deep below St. Thomas’ surface for a tour of the island’s sea bottom floor. Encounter spectacular marine life as you become one with the Caribbean habitat.

vcr_traveler515

We were taken by water taxi to a floating dock nearby. We were given detail instructions about the dive and safety. There were 24 guests and we went down in two groups. While the first group was diving, the second group did some snorkeling around the dock. When it was our turn to dive, we stood on the stairs in the water and the helmet was lowered onto our shoulders. That forced us to walk down the 20 ft. stairs one step at a time. A diver was next to us during the descend. Once everyone was down, we were led through a path with side-rails on both sides and saw a sunken helicopter, some sea creatures and lots of fish. The whole underwater experience was 30 minutes. My wife had trouble clearing her ears when she was underwater, but still enjoyed the experience. The excursion operator took pictures of everyone and sold it for $35 on a memory card. That was a reasonable price since we went as a family of 4. We also took our underwater Fuji camera and got some great pictures and video. Make sure your camera is rated for at least 20 ft. underwater as that was the depth of the excursion. Afterwards were served some fruit punch, some with a good dose of rum.

Provider: Princess Cruises

HappySailing24

1 review

We did the Helmet Dive/Tour at Coral World-they gave us no time to explore the Aquarium-as soon as the Dive was over- they closed the place and we had to hurry and Run to get on the bus to leave. For the 4.5hr tour. we only did the 1hr dive-very unorganized with time management. we had to wait for others to Dive first and do there orientation and that wasted an hour. But carnival did refund our portion of the Aquarium tour which was nice-but my Daughter for a year was looking forward to the Aquarium part and never saw it. And its not like we can just drive over and go , LOL,. Also we were able to bring our Go pro down with us and that was nice to have. The instructors/divers also were very nice. The ride on the Bus was Horrible-I thought we were going to crash- very fast driver and then he was playing chicken with another bus driver and the Police was there and couldn't even talk to them. they were hitting each others bus with their hands and screaming and yelling. Neither one would Move for the other to get by. Very Rude drivers. Also on the way Back, my Son was getting on and the driver started to take off and he had a huge cut and bruise from the seat where metal was sharp that he hit trying to get on.That was not a Good experience....

tempocontour

1 review

Coral World staff was professional and informative. The helmet dive was fun but restricted with you only able to walk under water around a circular path via under water hand rail. There were sea life that the dive instructor was able to pull out from under rocks and corals and the instructor fed some fish along the way via a cylinder. The helmet was restrictive in movement and in viewing angle. We did the snuba diving in Grand Cayman, that was lots of fun and I highly recommend that!

When you walk onto Coral World grounds you are immediately greeted by inguanas running all over the place! They have an netted area where you could feed lorikeet birds. They'll fly right to you looking for food! There's also a hands on tank for sting rays, another hands on tank that had star fish, sea slugs and large snails. Another enclosed area that had a couple of small sharks that they let you get into. And a trail to walk around the area.

chrryslsh

1 review

Would have given it a 5+ except for the woman who lined us up at the pier. She was very Rude. she asked my 10 yr old son how much he weighed. I told her about 90 -95 lbs. She said. I was talking to him. I told her well I don't think he knows what he weighs. She said. well they will weigh him there. so what difference did it make and why did she have to be rude? Anyway. once there. it was the best excursion EVER!! no they did not weigh him and never saw that woman again. (She said the minimum weight is 80 lbs BTW) the divers who guided us were so attentive to my son. showed him every little animal. let him touch and hold everything. spent so much time with him. I was so very impressed with them. I would recommend this to anyone. my grown daughter was very nervous about doing this as she is a little claustrophobic. She loved it too. she had no problem at all. she said it did not feel like she was closed in. my husband has sinus problems and was nervous about going so deep as he has problems at times with that but he didn't have much problems either. you start out about 6 feet deep and walk downhill until you are about 20 feet deep. it was really awesome. we saw sea spiders, star fish, sea cucumbers, lots of fish, and lots of other things I cant remember the names of. Also after you get done with the helmet dive you can also explore the rest of coral world. We fed the Larakeets which are these very pretty little birds who land on your hands and eat out of these little containers you hold. then you can swim on Coki Beach. See the Sharks at the shark encounters too.

TV TRIVIA couple

1 review

GO!!! Don't wait until you get on board to reserve your space. It is a chance of a lifetime..and to all the non-swimmers, that is nothing to fear! Now, it can be crossed off of our bucket list

cruzinfromnowon

Exactly what we expected -- Staff was professional. Enjoyed the experience.

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

cruisinmimiof3

1 review

this was the best excursion I have ever done on any of my 3 cruises. It was just amazing! If you can walk down a ladder, and hold a railing, do this tour! You do not swim at all. they have a railing around a course under water about 15 feet. The current pushes you around fairly hard, so you do need to hold the railing. They have a diver in there with you to make sure you are fine, a camera man taking pics and video's and the guide. We bought the USB drive with the pics and video and they are amazing. The guide handed us sea creatures to hold. It was amazing, just do it.