Curacao Island Tour Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Curacao Shore Excursions > Island Tour

Explore the brightly-hued island of Curacao, which boasts some of the best examples of 17th and 18th century Dutch architecture.

eric.reedy@comcast.nett

1 review

Grabed tour bus outside of the port for $20 each. Air conditioned tour of town, over the big bridge, couple stops Curacao distillery, shopping, optional beach drop off near Sea Aquarium beach area or down town. Great walking in the old town; reminds you of Europe. Kind of pricy, but safe and fun with lots of photo ops. The floating market and floating bridge areas are nice. Lots of cafe style eateries along the water. Easy return to ship walking across bridge and following waterfront back through fort and resort. Very nice and ship stays into the evening if you want to play late. Stores close by 6; so shop early. Did not dive here, but friends who did say it was very nice and well worth doing. The ship does not offer diving because they get in early afternoon, but local charters are available.

barbadosbeachbum

After a lack of communication, we sadly missed out on the excursion we had booked, but managed to salvage it by taking an island tour with an independent company at the port. Although it was not what we had intended, and I cannot for my life remember the name of the company, Rosie gave us a great tour of Willemstad including a stop at a local beach, a Curacao distillery, some beautiful neighborhoods and a lot of info on the history of Curacao! It was 2 hours we enjoyed after a frustrating start to our time there.

hopeful2

1 review

very beautiful nice to walk around and do some shopping and we also took a tour and went and saw the beach but no time to enjoy beach because we did too much shopping.

radgalut

1 review

What a fun day. We saw a lot of the island, and also had a beach break. The driver and host were a blast and it included soda, beer and water.

FUN Well worth the $

brigarlin@rogers.com

1 review

Guide was local and very knowledgeable. Great photo opportunities. Very historical.

Provider: MSC Cruises

Travelgrandma10

This was a good overall tour. We went to the caves which was nice. The excursion to the Curacao liquor factory was a waste of time.

Provider: Holland America Line

Steve551

Our third stop was Curacao. We took the Discover Curacao Island Tour. We loved Curacao! The bad part was that we docked at 2pm (3pm local time) so by the time we returned from our tour it was getting dark and many of the shops closed. The tour was nice, nothing spectacular. Curacao is on our list of places that we will visit again.

Deetour

1 review

Beautiful island with lots of beautiful buildings that are very colorful. Shopping by the terminal seems like the best place to go. Starbucks close by terminal for WIFI connection.

jdechter

disappointed in the tour I took, should have just walked into town. We had some bad rain so the bus was wet, the distillery crowded and a long wait for stragglers. Poorly organized and not that interesting. Got to the beach at 5--ridiculous waste of time.

cruisercathy

it would have been better if the other people with us on the tour would have listened to the times we had to be back on the bus and were there when they were supposed to be. Seaquarium Beach was awful...filthy...from other people at the beach.....

BLR67

1 review

While the island was beautiful, the night life was nonexsistant. Most everything closed at sunset, while the ship was docked until 11pm.

larry_kak

We walked across the bridge and booked a tour in an open van. It was good and we saw the entire island.

terrycoles

1 review

Tour of the liquor company with samples, island tour with stops along the way. Very informative, great tour guide.

Provider: Pullmantur

onyourmark

3 hour tour covered East side and Sea-Quarium Beach

Beth Myers

1 review

The woman who took us around the city area was very nice and informative, but we were a little bored, and we wish that we had just done the city sight-seeing on our own. In any case, the city has all those multi-colored buildings, which are so picturesque. We really enjoyed seeing the city. Later, we went to Cocomo Beach, which has a beautiful water color, but there are a lot of rocks on the ocean floor. Also, a store manager told us to be careful not to step on a certain type of fish that looks like a rock and can sting you. So, I was a little uncomfortable about that. Needless to say, I didn't do much walking in the water. I swam out to the floating deck and enjoyed the views.

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

Tabbymom

We were docked at the MegaPier instead of the one across from town so no great view. I had reserved the 11:00 am IRIE bus tour and headed over early to make sure I could find it (their directions were from the other pier). I found a guy with a card with my name on it near the IRIE tour sign so knew I had the right place. While I was waiting I found free wifi inside the Renaissance Resort shopping center. When I came out I made a joke about the IRIE guy's Segway and he asked if I would like to use it. I'd been on one before so took it on a little circle of the courtyard. The bus arrived and the driver said not to worry about where we sat because we wouldn't be very full. We started off and the next thing we knew, the bus was being filled by passengers off another ship (the Grandeur out of Panama). They were a bit raucous for some of the tour. Other than that, it was a very nice tour, especially for the $20 cost. There were plenty of descriptions and history in both English and Spanish. They had cold water, soda (no diet), and beer. We drove past the pontoon bridge, through the old Jewish quarter, across the Queen Juliana bridge, past more old homes and other famous landmarks, and a stop at the Curacao "factory" (actually store). IMO this was a bit of a waste; they don't manufacture there so all you really learned was the history and had the chance to try tiny samples of four flavors. It was also theoretically a bathroom break but the ladies room had TWO STALLS. You can imagine the line. Back on the bus to the new housing developments, a view of Spanish Waters, and down to Seaquarium Beach where we got free admission for a 45 minute stop. We could opt to stay longer and have a later bus pick us up, which fortunately was the choice for the Grandeur passengers. It was a lovely beach with warm water; I just left my stuff on a chair and floated for most of the time. Then back on the bus, back across the bridge, and finished where we started by the pontoon bridge. I watched the pontoon bridge open to let a freighter through. After it closed I walked over to the Punda side. I relaxed for a while at Wilhelmina Park and had a snack from the ship, then asked someone to take my picture at the giant Curacao sign. My next destination was the Mikve Israel-Emanuel Synagogue where I paid admission and took a look around the sanctuary and museum. Then I walked over to floating market and back to the shops in town where I bought a few souvenirs. I finally headed back to the ship, stopping near the dock to buy a small wheel of Gouda.

Sprotbrough sailors

1 review

We picked up a private tour from the cruise terminal - around 20 people in a modern air conditioned mini-bus. The 2 hour trip took us to some view points across the island, the Curacao distillery and past the historic buildings in Willemstad. Teh guide was funny and informative and found us an Iguana to photograhp as they are widespread across the island. For only $20 each this was great value for money. The island is not the most beautiful in the Caribbean - a lot of oil refinieries and drilling, but the capital, Willemstad with its brightly painted builings and the pontoon bridge was the most attractive port of the entire cruise.

jefft5301

For only $20 per person, we had a 3.5 hour tour that included all the beer, water, and soda we could drink. Sylvian was our driver/guide and he did a wonderful job. Learned a lot about the island and finished the day with more than an hour at Sea Aquarium Beach.

kurziemom

1 review

Our tour group was divided into 2 parts. The other half had a longer tour and had more time at the Aquarium and a longer island tour. We all paid the same amount. I enjoyed the distillery tour, but could barely hear the tourguide, as it was so very crowded. The tasting was rushed and we were pushed into the purchasing area rather quickly. After the tour we walked around and found a great bistro for dinner. Chicken skewers with peanut sauce was fabulous. But I can't remember the name of the restaurant.

Saltwaterfan901

1 review

Good tour... Clarina was our guide, and she was wonderful.

firefighterman

Aruba wonderful 10/10 use a non-carnival tour Sonny Binns! $30 (3 hours)took us all over the island and drop us off at Holiday Inn Resort for beach excurions ( that was 2 hrs addtional) he came back and got us no extra charge. A+ company "Howard our driver was great!"

fun_one

Very informative and fun in an air conditioned bus

BubbaIU

Booked tour right at the pier. Nice flexible pace, tour operator had no problem going here and there to take pictures and experience the island. Went through historic district, floating market, distillery and gave option to customers to be let off downtown by the swing bridge w/15 min walk back to ship or return to ship. Colors and sights are fantastic, must walk the swing bridge, shopping is good everywhere and many high end shops are avail. Newer area is by the Mega Pier. Safe and Secure port.

plastic2244

Very enjoyable

Lover1Boy

Excellent guide.

Provider: Paul Gauguin Cruises

Hazelnut1939

1 review

Great tour with interesting stops. Inteesting, picturesque town, with historic bridge.

Provider: Thomson Cruises

jdooly1

1 review

Great Island tour and stop at the distillery and other great views of the island to get some great pics. The only complaint is that we only had 15 minutes at each stop, but then again, touring the island does take a few hours and we couldn't miss the ship.

jbackus8746

We traveled with a guide on a bus to a museum which was nice, a liquor factory and my favorite some caves.

kcscrapper

1 review

We booked a city tour on an open trolley from a sidewalk vendor after spending about a hour looking at the UNESCO site and being done with it! The Casper tour guide was friendly and knowledgeable and getting a tour really helped us enjoy this port.

Kelsey12

1 review

This port we were not there very long. Would have loved to stayed all day.

Cancruizer

1 review

As we knew, quite a bit was closed in Curacao due to New Year's day. We got off the ship in the late morning and did a two hour tour from a local company on an air conditioned bus that was very good before heading back to the ship for lunch. We headed back out in the later afternoon to walk around the port area. This was such a charming port we would love to come again... floating bridge, synagogue with sand floor (closed for NY), colorful restored homes, cafes, bars etc., Renaissance and Fort area.

AmberTeka

Good show. Nice day. Great way and place to spend New Year's Day. Again..great tour guide. knew her stuff. Told us a lot of history. Great day.

Sandra in San Antonio

The ship was very late getting into port (2:30 p.m. instead of 1 p.m.)so our trolley tour booked through the ship was cancelled. When we got off the ship, a man at the information desk recommended a private excursion and told us it would go to the same places as the trolley tour. It didn't. However it did go to several places the trolley wouldn't have gone so I was happy anyway.

travelgal17

Very beautiful city and we loved seeing the Hato Caves.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

egyptnqeen

1 review

I loved it! We went to a beach and saw historical sites.

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

Darshan1

The only drawback to Curacao was the surprising amount of pollution in the port from oil refineries. It was only bothersome at the height of the Lido Deck, but it did sting the eyes. The tour was a good combination of island history (much richer than Aruba's as well as other islands) and well as some scenic views overlooking gorgeous beaches and crystalline water. Included a history museum that was worth a short visit. The capital, Willemstad, is very pretty (noted for its colorful Dutch buildings) and it might have been worth exploring it more as our tour didn't go through the town.

Cruizinjunkie

Island tour was very unorganized. Aquarium is small and dolphins in show are still being trained. A dull tour.

Staplerman

As we debarked the ship in Willemstad, we found a group of fellow cruisers with a local tour guide. They needed 3 more people before the tour could begin, so we joined up with them. Our tour guide was a local named Hubert and he was very fun to be around. He made a point to get to the caves early on before the crowds got there and for that we basically had the caves all to ourselves (7 of us in our group). This was great because my wife is very claustrophobic and doesn't do well in cramped quarters. After that he took us to scenic points to take photos and then downtown as he narrated the long and colorful history of Curacao. He dropped us off downtown and we did some shopping, then headed back to the ship.

Photo_Traveler_MBC

-- I woke up as we were approaching Curacao. I thought we were sailing into He## or into a volcanic zone. There were clouds over the mountains reflecting a spectacular pulsating red glow. The glow was caused by the burn off flares from refinery's. Our independent Cab driver was Hubert #132. He gave a very thorough tour and provided cultural and historical details as well as took us to the fort and other view points. We drove around town several times as he pointed out the landmarks. This island was a wonderful stop. I'd recommend Hubert. His cab is decorated with an Iguana on the sides.

J Horn

1 review

Again Each island no more then $20 per person per trip should last 3 hours with Beach!

509ers

All day west side tour to 3 beaches with Mavis. Perfect trip, small and great value. Loads of history and information.

feb0321

1 review

Much of the island is a bit run down . The downtown shopping areas were first rate.

tstamm

1 review

Excursions on the boat fill up fast - so pre-book early. We didn't, but fortunately as we exited the ship we went up and visited with several local tour operators. We wanted to include the caves. The first gentleman we talked to said it would be too busy and he didn't go. Then we visited with Johnie. He said that is where he goes. He knew everyone on the island. When we arrived to the caves we bypassed everyone else and in a few minutes we had our tickets and were on tour. He also was very well versed and provided us with a great education with the history of the island and culture. Johnie offered the caves, a town tour and the Curacao Liquor location. If we ever visit Curacao again we will definitely be contacting him again.

Klloomis

1 review

Nice. Guide was a little long winded, but very professional