Cozumel Island Tour Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Cozumel Shore Excursions > Island Tour

From its world famous coral reefs and wild jungle to the multitude of museums, ruins, and other noteworthy buildings, there is much to see on a guided tour of beautiful Cozumel Island.

dandebnick2

1 review

We had a magnificent, wonderfully romantic cruise A++++++++.

hapretiree

1 review

3 hour tour of Cozumel in an air-conditioned bus; would have preferred an open vehicle, but that wasn't an option for this tour. Enjoyed the history lesson by the knowledgeable tour guide, but as many tours, the stops are scheduled to look and buy. Which I did. :)

Provider: MSC Cruises

nkmack

1 review

Golf course was in good shape. Wide open and not crowded. Rarely waited on any hole. Not difficult but enjoyable. Service was also tops. Newer rental clubs at a fair price $ 50.00. Cart lady was pleasant.

wvjlmartin

1 review

We rented a jeep with a tour guide, maybe 6 jeeps total. Drove all around the island. It was very entertaining. The guides was wonderful.

WeirDave

1 review

We rented a car locally then headed out to drive the island. We checked out quite a bit on our own including eating on the "other side". We also snorkeled on the other side in a wonderful spot that had the reef 10 feet out. It was filled with marine life and was AMAZING!

H&J

We hired a car and driver to take us on a tour of the island. It was $25 a person (3 of us) plus a $20 tip (aggregate) at it was well worth it. We visited the beach areas as well as the interior. I feel it was money well spent as we saw both the tourist side and inhabitant side of the island. It sure beat sitting around in a Senor Frog's all day.

Isako

1 review

Pretty beaches. Tequila factory was interesting. Roads are in good condition.

Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises

lauramcob@sbcglobal.net

1 review

Our tour guide, Margarita, was lovely, entertaining and very knowledgeable. She proudly presented the Mayan ruins at the San Gervais historical site, which was also adorned with many distracting iguanas. As the bus drove through the city and countryside, Margarita tutored us on the island history and current cultures and how the old and the new have blended into the society that is existing today. We also made a very quick 20-minute stop to a beach. Of course, we would have loved more beach time but since we weren't expecting the side tour, it was a nice bonus.

Buggy2001

Beautiful scenery!

arkansasboy

1 review

A very friendly and helpful tour company who took care of us and tried hard to give us the best time while on the island.

CaringCruiser

1 review

Tequila! Would have liked more shopping time near port.

tcoffman

We hired a private driver for the day through Tours Plaza. We had Alberto. We had a fantastic day. I highly recommend doing this and I highly recommend Alberto. He was very nice and spoke English very well.

sparklingsoul

I took RC's island tour of Cozumel, which was interesting but also slow and a bit boring. We ended up at Playa Mia beach, which I liked, and wound up staying there late and taking a taxi back to the ship.

NewbieCruzie

1 review

I signed up for the Ultimate Island Buggy Tour with Island Marketing Ltd which was supposed to be a tour of the island in "funky colorful buggies" we were supposed to go snorkeling which did not happen ( not exactly sure why) maybe because it was a little windy that day. Also the " bug " that I ended up with was actually a Chev Aveo with the back cut off of it. Only VW bug on the tour was the one driven by the tour guide and one other family. We did go to El Cedral as it stated but it was more like a shopping plaza than a settlement as described. We did stop for lunch and our guide Mario was very nice. He did prepare a nice lunch for us of fresh guacamole and salsa and barbecue chicken and tortillas with rice. When we walked across the street to the beach a big NO SWIMMING sign was posted. I was disappointed overall in this excursion and thought the price was NOT worth what I actually ended up getting. I would NOT recommend this tour.

cruisologist

Scoot-Coups Island tour. It was fun.

nw_man

We wanted to see some of Cozumel that wasnt the inside of a bar, so decided to hire a driver for a day. The booking process was easy enough and we got full instructions from Eduardo on where and whom to meet. Our driver, Canterra, was at the scheduled place at the scheduled time, perfect. We originally only booked the standard three hour tour at $95, however we extended this by a further 2 hours. We saw the East side, no construction over there and really wild, toured the Mayan ruins, the Lighthouse and saw crocodiles in the swampland. Canterra was friendly and chatty plus informative and did seem to know his stuff. We wanted to end the day at a beach and he recommended one and took us and waited til we were ready to return to the ship. Excellent.

Floridiana

1 review

Highlight: the dancers. I would not book this tour again.

Provider: Oceania Cruises

jaskie

The tour had 2 parts, was a tour of the Mayan ruins on the island and then a tour of the island. The ruins were interesting to see, wouldn't go do it again though.

WildbillinKC

1 review

Nice tour guide. Related some interesting stories and history of Cozumel. Beach break was awful. We were packed like sardines. There must be a better beach in Cozumel than the one we saw. Stop @ shopping venue made many nervous, didn't seem real safe though nothing happened other overly aggressive vendors. Stop at Rum place was thinly disguised as sales opportunity for Rum guy.

fastrock

Cozumel is excellent as always. First visit was tour to east side of island, second visit was to Toro's Place and shopping.

GrandmaHofmann

Private guide takes you though all the facilities including a museum, models of buildings, gift shop, and rest area.

radtechmom

Our guide, Martin met us at the pier and took us to Discover Mexico Park. He gave us a tour of the museum which he talked about different Mexican cultures and outside were small replicas of various types of temples. He would take our cameras and took up close pictures of the temples to make it look like you were climbing it - he was fun and informative. From there, we drove a short time to Chankataab park. This was a beach area that you could, from a fee - swim with dolphins, scuba dive, or snorkel. We did the snorkel and enjoyed it very much. There were areas in the water marked for different things to look at while snorkeling. An outdoor restaurant was available to get something to eat - we loved our nachos, fajitas and quesadillas. There is a garden to walk through - not flowers - just tall green trees or bamboo - but I enjoyed it.

shanwoll

1 review

passion island was beautiful. it was all inclusive food and alcohol. the food however was like mystery food. horrible and the alcohol just went down fine it was so hot outside.

Coli

1 review

Don't fall for the tequila tour shopping experience - some of the worst tequila I've ever had - but fun. Our guide was good and it was great to learn more about the island.

Provider: Disney Cruise Line

oct696

Took an island tour on a modern air conditioned bus w/tour guide Alex and driver David. Drove all over the island - I think we saw it all. Stopped for a tour of a "tequila factory". Bought over priced tequila as souvenirs. The 2nd stop was at an 'authentic' Mayan ruin and Catholic Church. The church was real, not so sure about the Mayan ruin. The last stop was at Playa Mia, an all inclusive beach resort. Very nice. The best thing about this place was they had a sand wheelchair so it was sooooo much easier to get my mom to and from the water's edge. The drive along the ocean was so beautiful. The water was spectacular.

Srandaz2

The shopping was decent and alot of cool things to see - basically a big flee market

dagadget

Excellent guide and tour Would recommend this to anyone who wants a tour off the beaten path.

iaminadaze

1 review

Free Beer/Soda/Water on board the motor coach! We also went to a show, which was really nice, as well. Great tour guide Patricio and Pepe The bus driver! Tons of photos!

jmb1101

We were taken to San Gervasio Mayan ruins which was really quite interesting. After we were taken to a beach called El Mirador which was breathtakingly beautiful, however, it was also the dirtiest beach I've ever been on. There seemed to be no trash receptacles but old curlers, trash bags, and old tubes of toothpaste were strewn all over the beach. No one seemed to mind. We also visited a touristy tequila place and another dirty place (tourist trap) where the first Catholic Mass was performed. I feel so bad complaining because the people obviously need money but there were cereal boxes, bottles and plastic containers all over the place. Just gross. No trash receptacles here either. I would never go on this tour again.

Provider: Disney Cruise Line

Quixotic

1 review

Cozumel was our favorite excursion of the trip and we definitely are going to go back! We hired a private driver for the day, because we wanted more control over our experience and also because we prefer to do things as a family rather than with a big tour group. We were assigned Alberto. We originally requested Gerry based on reviews on TripAdvisor, but now we are so glad that we got Alberto! He was AWESOME! He was very accommodating, chatty, and friendly. His vehicle was a little worse for wear but I soon realized that all the cabs are in a similar condition. He had an empty cooler in the back for us. First, we stopped at a big grocery store. Alberto went inside with us and helped us navigate that whole experience (we do not speak Spanish at all). We got ice, some soft drinks and water, and some sinus medicine (that was a little dicey but we talked to a pharamcist via Alberto and felt reasonably confident we weren't buying crack). Paying was easy, because the whole island takes US dollars or Pesos, and they do the conversion automatically. The kids thought the store was like a playground and liked seeing all the Mexican variations and varieties of things. Then Alberto drove us past a variety of points of interest on the populated side of the island (statues, the military, some history, the ferry, etc) before taking us to the San Gervasio ruins. We paid $8 total for entry (the kids were free) then paid $20 for a guided (english speaking) tour. I found the tour very interesting but the kids were totally distracted by the iguanas that were everywhere. We had a souvenir photo taken at entry and paid $15 for it. It was really cute, but I grimaced a little because it was SO ridiculously touristy... they had a guy dressed up as a Maya native (or what I would say is a caricature of a Maya native) to pose with us. Cute? Yes. Authentic? No. Also, be advised that the road to the ruins is SIX MILES of the bumpiest road I have ever encountered. It was hilarious to the kids, but I found it very jarring. Then Alberto drove us to the other side of the island, all along the way pointing things out and providing a running commentary on the island. He stopped at a roadside craft stall, because the kids really wanted to buy "something" from Cozumel. My son ended up with a painted ceramic cat, I got a painted bowl, and my daughter ended up with a painted ceramic lizard. All of it was the stuff that tourists buy, I know, but we liked it anyway. I also brought back two bottles of vanilla. We then went to the other side of the island. I fell in love. It is SO beautiful! We ate at a restaurant overlooking the water. This was my only disappointment. We wanted an "authentic" experience, but the menu was in English and shortly after we arrived, a huge tour bus showed up (part of a bar crawl excursion). So it was super loud and rowdy, which I definitely did not enjoy. The food was absolutely delicious, so it wasn't all bad. But it wasn't the highlight. We then went to the Punta Sur ecopark. We started with the Crocodile area and enjoyed seeing a croc up close (we were safely on a raised pier above the water). Then we went to the Lighthouse and climbed to the top. The view was breathtaking. Hubby and I stood up there for 20 minutes at least, enjoying the 360 degree views. You could see the cruise ships all the way across the island! The kids grumbled about climbing the lighthouse (a million steps) but they enjoyed the view too. We poked our head briefly into the "museum" which is a series of five small exhibit rooms. We stopped periodically at different beaches and when things caught our eye. We have some great photos from this day. Alberto then drove us back to the Pier and we got back on the ship. We definitely would like to spend more time in Cozumel, specifically enjoying the beach on the "other side" of the island. We'd like to do snorkeling here, too.

wgb7428

Tour gave a good overview of sites around down town. I was thinking the church we stopped at was older than what it was. The tequila factory tour wasn't a tour at all. They produced no tequila there it was just the factory store for this tequila company. I will admit for a bourbon drinker the tasting was interesting and informative. The rest of the shopping was mostly the same stuff that's available in every Caribbean port. The Black Coral was nice but too expensive. We did stop at one location by the airport for a photo stop, but I wish a few more photo site seeing stops would have been provided.

Spokane99204

1 review

Hire a local cab driver to take you around the island. Get out of the tourist congestion and see the relativly undeveloped rest of the island. Tip: Just double check to see how well your driver speaks ENGLISH before hiring him.

Mrs Bluer

1 review

Started slow but picked up and became more interesting. Guide, Margarita, was great. Stopped at location to buy silver jewelry, bathroom facilities were atrocious!! Still shuttering at the filth and conditions of a tourist attraction. You would think they would do something about it. Tequila tour was interesting, bought bottles and they leaked out in the luggage on the way home. Store vendors were very aggressive, police were around with guns all over, driving was crazy! 2 adults + 2 kids on one moped! Overall, interesting to see other cultures.

hotpaws