Cozumel Mayan Ruins Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Mayan Ruins cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Do not miss out on Cozumel's famous Mayan Ruins! Learn about Mayan civilization, culture, folklore, and unsolved mysteries.
Member Image bbrose314
Jan 2016
The San Gervasio ruins were neat. Apparently the Mayans had to all make the trek to the temples once in their life time for fertility and family. The red hand prints were amazing to see! Would not suggest people who can not walk easily on uneven ground to come on this as a lot of the walking is very uneven and rocky.
Read bbrose314's full Independence of the Seas cruise review
Member Image parakleo
Jan 2016
Our excursion guide was extremely difficult to understand with his thick,fast, mexican accent. some of his information was not accurate as he did a brief walking tour at Tulum. We found some of the other tour guides from other companies had better information and VERY easy to understand. This tour we went on only afforded about 60 minutes at Tulum so no time for the beach there. WE arrived after lunch but had only had breakfast on the boat. No food was offered until after our tour but had to be quick. The actual site was interested and on a beautiful beach!
Read parakleo's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image comcox
Jan 2016
In Cozumel I did the Tulum Ruins tour which began with a very choppy ferry ride to the mainland and then a bus to the ruins. We got a basic tour of the ruins and then free time to explore them on our own, head down the steps to the beach, and/or shop and have lunch on our own in the "village" next to the ruins. Our ferry got back to the pier 15 minutes before sailing time so it was a quick dash back. Our guide did try to sell us stuff and asked for tips, but that is common in Mexico.
Read comcox's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image Chappy Bill
Dec 2015
Our guide was friendly and informative. It was a great excursion.
Read Chappy Bill's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image BurghMLR
Nov 2015
This was a perfect half day excursion highlighting some of the island's most interesting sites. We saw the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio, stopped for photos at a beach outlook and got to sample chocolate at the Mayan Cacao Company. It was informative, fun and left us time to explore downtown in the afternoon.
Read BurghMLR's full Celebrity Constellation cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image 3scouts
Nov 2015
The day was perfect, not hot or cold. Just a few bugs were out. The ruins were ok, not great but ok. I had read about the tour guide trying to sell you things and thought probably an isolated case. Nope, she showed us all kinds of jewelry at the end and said we could buy it in the shops as a special promo purchase from her. Pretty tacky way to end the tour. But, we had a good time seeing the ruins, very few people were around so it was as if we were all alone. Some other passengers, not from our tour, were being very disrespectful and rude with the shop owners trying to get a discount. The stop at the beach was great and the stop at the Chocolate factory was super great. On the tour they have you sample tortillas with chocolate sauce, hot chocolate and then after the tour and in the shop, samples and more samples, did I say samples?? No one said one bite, they were very gracious in allowing you to sample, that was of course before me. Now I'm sue they have a limit, no, not really, they were very helpful and wanted you to sample all of their products. Everyone on this entire tour were very nice and wanted you to enjoy yourself.
Read 3scouts's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image FlyStef
Nov 2015
I booked the Tulum Ruins and Beach Break directly with Royal Caribbean, and I won't ever do that again. It was expensive, and we only got 20 minutes to really explore Tulum. Of everything we did, this tour was the biggest disappointment. First off, the seas were rough, so the ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen ended up being the vomit ferry from hell. It was contagious, once one person started throwing up, it felt like everyone started throwing up, there was vomit on the walls, the floors, the seats, it was everywhere, and so gross. The smell started to make me ill, I ended up putting a tube of sunscreen in my beach towel and held it to my nose and just smelled sunscreen to keep from getting sick myself (I don’t get sea sick, but the smell will turn my stomach). I felt bad for the ferry workers who were running all over the boat trying to clean up all the vomit. We finally got to Playa del Carmen, but the seas were so rough the ferry captain had trouble docking, and then it took a solid 40 minutes just to get everyone off the boat, because the seas were so rough the gangway was rocking and rolling and sliding with the boat. We all finally got off, got in our respective lines, and were led to buses across the street behind some buildings. We were all happy to be on dry land, and headed to Tulum, or so we thought. I knew we were behind schedule (3 hours from getting off Oasis to getting on the bus in Playa del Carmen), but thought there was still plenty of time for Tulum. But then our Bus stopped at this horrible tacky tourist stop as a “bathroom break”. There was a bathroom on the bus, and there were bathrooms at Tulum, we didn’t need a 45 minute stop at a tacky tourist destination. I don’t need to buy Chinese made magnets in the shape of a sombrero. I wanted to see Tulum. We finally got to Tulum, and we had a 15 minute walk from the Bus to the actual ruins where our tickets were finally given to us. Once we got into the Tulum Park, our tour guide then led us up the hill away from all the Tulum structures, and talked for 40 minutes about Mayan life, not Tulum ruins, or the structures he had led us away from, but just general mayan life. At the end of the 40 minutes, he told us we had 20 minutes to explore Tulum and then we were all leaving on the bus. WHAT? I had 20 minutes to actually see Tulum? Seriously? You couldn’t even do a lap at a brisk walk in 20 minutes around Tulum, I tried. My whole family started getting really pissed. We wanted to see Tulum, it was the whole point of the trip, and I get that our tour may have been cut short due to the ferry ride, but we lost 45 minutes due to that awful “bathroom” break at the horrible tourist trap. And then we were racing off to this beach break where the water was too rough to swim. That 45 minutes could have been at the ruins and not at that awful tourist trap shop. We could have cut the beach break down since the surf conditions were so rough. Why cut down the time at the one thing we all went on the tour to see? And why was our 40 minute tour with a guide so far away from the structures in the Tulum compound? And why did our guide not discuss hardly at all any of the Mayan Ruins in front of us, no architecture or construction details. Just that it was a trading post, and most of the structures were limestone. That was it. That was the extent of the knowledge of the Mayan temples in front of us given by our guide. Anyway, we raced to lunch at this restaurant on the beach in Tulum, where the beach was covered in thick seaweed and the seas were very rough. We had a full 2 hours here. Why? I don’t know, I would have preferred more time in Tulum ruins. Our ferry ride back confirmed my initial suspicions, the afternoon ferries from playa del Carmen are fully booked by the cruise ships, the available ferry to the public was at 6pm and would have been too late to make the boat. Overall I’m glad I got a quick glimpse of Tulum, but overall, I wouldn’t do it again. I would wait till I’m staying in Mexico several nights to do Tulum, and then Chicheniza. It was too rushed, and frankly too poorly done for the price.
Read FlyStef's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image PartyPlansPlus
Nov 2015
Smallest Mayan ruins but it was a 3.25 hour tour of the ruins and beach. Denisse was our tour guide and she was great. It was a good tour because it was short but I wouldn't recommend it for children (they would be bored) or people who would have trouble walking over very rocky walkways and for about an hour.
Read PartyPlansPlus's full Carnival Ecstasy cruise review
Member Image Red93
Nov 2015
While the bus itself left a lot to be desired, it was air conditioned, which was a relief. The tour was short, but interesting with a stop at a Mayan temple, and traditional village. The final stop was in a tequila tasting, which was fun. There was some up selling, but that's kind of expected.
Read Red93's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Skip36
Oct 2015
This was one of the reasons we chose this cruise was for the ruins.
Read Skip36's full Celebrity Infinity cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image riffatsea
Oct 2015
The bus was air conditioned and well maintained. The guide was extremely knowledgeable about Mayan life, language, the ruins etc!! It was a very hot (101F) day so it was uncomfortable after a while but we had time for refreshments/bathroom etc so it made the day a good one despite the heat.
Read riffatsea's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image Rangersfan1994
Oct 2015
The driver Jose and the guide Gustavo were very personable and told us about the Mayan culture and history of Cozumel. We toured the ruins then visited the inevitable souvenir shop where black coral is the preferred sale item. After that we drove to the east side of the island for a quick stop along the shore. The waves along the rock jetties were picturesque.
Read Rangersfan1994's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image Tomlee6853
Sep 2015
Very enjoyable and interesting, mixed with a stop along the isolated side of the island for a beautiful view of the Caribbean and cold local beverage.
Read Tomlee6853's full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Member Image _Gazpar_
Sep 2015
In Cozumel, we opted for the Tulum experience. Our guide “Pamela” was knowledgeable and pleasant. She was experienced, and polished, Almost too much so (if that’s possible). There were upgrades offered at every opportunity. During the ruins trip, they were informed and well-spoken and easy to understand. They even had someone trailing us with a backpack of water and cups in the event you got thirsty. We then had about an hour to tour on our own and swim if we choose. The “snack” provided was a bottle of water, small bag of chips, and a mini moon-pie. It was followed by an hour of allocated “shopping time”. The excursion went an hour overtime, and the ship waited for our return, as we were the last group to board. My wife was nervous because of the schedule, but the tour company had representatives around town, who were easily identified by their uniform, and who seemed to know where we were at any given time. Overall the tour was very professional, although it was VERY crowded.
Read _Gazpar_'s full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image mmekline
Aug 2015
Use bug spray...liberally! The mosquitoes are horrible, so be sure you get a repellent with Deet. Our guide was very informative, but there is very little to see at these ruins. The beach stop was worthless; vendors selling the same overpriced souvenirs and not much sand or view. It was still worth it because Alex was a good guide and the bus ride gave an overview of what the island is like.
Read mmekline's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image slane416
Jul 2015
Tour was great. The guide was very helpful w/ my mom who had a hard time with all the walking but she helped my mom up on the ruins in certain areas, which was very nice.. They were very knowledgeable.
Read slane416's full Carnival Valor cruise review
Member Image nickkie
Jul 2015
Nice history
Read nickkie's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Shore excursions
Member Image Jackpot Judy
May 2015
Fantastic! Our tour guide Edwin really knows his history, and kept the tour fun as well as informational. Plenty of photo ops, very scenic and peaceful. Look for the iguanas roaming about the ruins. The shops at the tourist center are nice and the food is great! - try the quesadillas. The bus to/from is large and air-conditioned and very comfortable.
Read Jackpot Judy's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image songbyrd59
May 2015
Patricio our guide and Pepe our driver were awesome! Very educational and the ruins were so cool to see. This was the "smaller" ruins excursion, but I thought it was perfect. The ride around the island was beautiful and the stop at a beachside stand for guacamole and margheritas was fantastic! The shopping wasn't as impressive. The pier shops are fine, but I did not go to Mexico to buy things made in India or China. Took a lot of looking to find authentic Made in Mexico items. Overall...I would definitely go to Cozumel again.
Read songbyrd59's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image TexasSwimParents
May 2015
Good tour of the Mayan ruins with tour guide Nacho. Provided a chance to see the non developed side of the island. The most disappointing part was the chocolate factory tour which was not great.
Read TexasSwimParents's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Ragland T Tiger
May 2015
OK but nothing spectacular. We did stop at blow hole area on beach as well as visiting the local Mayan ruins on Cozumel. Know that if want to see the really large ruins you need to travel to mainland but that involved several hours on a bus - we will visit when visit Cancun, someday. Worth taking and good value for what you get.
Read Ragland T Tiger's full Independence of the Seas cruise review
Member Image chuchu
Apr 2015
Very interesting. Had been here before but this time we were taken to San Gervasio ruins. The guide was knowledgeable and answered many questions. If you are interested in black coral jewelry this where you can find beasutiful pieces. The island has changed a lot
Read chuchu's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image legaljen1969
Apr 2015
We were on a combination tour that went to the Mayan Chocolate Company, Il Mirador and San Gervasio ruins. Our tour guide, Moy, was wonderful. He was very informative and quite funny. I would certainly recommend this tour to someone who might not want to take the entire day to go to Tulum, but would like to know more about the Mayan Ruins.
Read legaljen1969's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image CajunCpl
Apr 2015
We had chosen the RC Island Overview and Mayan Ruins tour at 11:30, over the Bar Hop tour, because we wanted to see some ruins and get a handle on the island. Turned out we picked the wrong time (my girlfriend wanted to sleep late), because it didn’t leave us time to get a cab to the town plaza before or after our tour. So about 11:45, driver Morita and tour guide Nico took us out on the road. The roads led us through the city streets and out to the countryside. We stopped at San Gervasio Ruins, and Nico gave a good walk and talk tour of the Mayan’s and the site’s history. We went out on the west side of the island and saw plenty of blue water and white sandy beaches. We also stopped at the Chocolate Factory which had free Wi-Fi. We arrived back at the terminal at 3:45. Again, the van’s AC was not doing much, so always sit up front as we did.
Read CajunCpl's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image TammeyO
Apr 2015
Great enjoyable excursion. Learned about the history of the island as well as the island and the people who live there. Wear walking shoes for this and if you are prone to heat exhaustion know that it is hot and humid. Saw lots of huge iguanas while walking around the Mayan ruins. The culture is fascinating and the locals are very friendly.
Read TammeyO's full Carnival Paradise cruise review