Cozumel Mayan Ruins Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Mayan Ruins cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Do not miss out on Cozumel's famous Mayan Ruins! Learn about Mayan civilization, culture, folklore, and unsolved mysteries.
Member Image vegasgal47
Apr 2016
Took Mayan Ruins, island tour and beach break. Ruins were interesting but after seeing the ones in Belize, not too exciting. Island tour was "ok". The beach break could have been a lot longer (only 1 1/2 hrs. Walking in water was very uncomfortable (lots of rocks and broken shells). If you want to swim, bring water shoes!. We ended up swimming in pools which was great until some guys decided to play football in it. Shopping was great! Lots of places to shop right off the pier.
Read vegasgal47's full Independence of the Seas cruise review
Member Image vccarmi
Apr 2016
although the tour got off to a bad start, it turned into a great experience. we visited the Mayan ruins. I didn't visit them all but did what I could before finding shade. the shopping was good while I wait for the remainder of my party. we drove the island and saw beautiful beaches and visited the Mayan Cacao venue. The chocolate is very good and the tour informative. The pier at Cozumel needs some shade for waiting because the sun was brutal and I am burned. This occurred because the tour was over sold so it required additional wait time. The tour driver (we had a 10 passenger taxi van since we couldn't all go on the intended bus) was very nice, knowledgeable, and efficient.
Read vccarmi's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Springfarm
Mar 2016
the ruins were nice and the guide was great but the so called place to stop for lunch was a food truck by the beach with some tables and a little bar. There is no power on this side of the island and the wait was to long to get anything to eat so we had to go back to the main entry and eat. We were also told to go to Three Amagos for a free drink which was nice but the second drink was $20 another rip off
Read Springfarm's full Carnival Liberty cruise review
Member Image pnwguy1j
Mar 2016
Good tour and tour guide. Be prepared to go on a chocolate factory tour as part of this excursion
Read pnwguy1j's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image travelingguyz
Mar 2016
Hired taxi from port to San Gervasio Ruins, Tequila tastings and downtown shopping area.
Read travelingguyz's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Hired taxi from port
Member Image theoz
Mar 2016
This trip to the ruins was nice. This trip is easier walking than the one in Costa Maya and the tour guide was very informative and passionate when speaking about the ruins. This trip also included a stop at the beach where my husband tried the drink Coco Loco, a drink with several liquors served in a coconut. He enjoyed it. Then we stopped at the chocolate factory. The information session was good and when it was over we went through the gift shop. Chocolate is very overpriced and just ordinary tasting.
Read theoz's full Anthem of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Laurent B
Mar 2016
Cozumel Mayan Ruins and Island Overview Mixed feeling : the mayan ruins part was interesting, the San Gervasio site is quite smaller than other sites in the Yucatan but was still nice and our guide Miguel was friendly and provided good information. Tour of the southern part of the Island was also nice, especially the photo stop at El Mirador where we could watch good size wave crushing against the rocky coastline. The stop at the “chocolate factory” was quite deciving : limited info on the process, very few artefacts, minimalist demo of pre-hispanic and limited sampling (only 4 variety out of the dozen+ they make). To to it off prices where way too hight (8 USD for a 85grams bar). It was more a tourist trap than a real attraction.
Read Laurent B's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Member Image Tugnut
Mar 2016
Visiting Chichen Itza was one of my goals for the trip. Though it is an 8 hour tour with approximately 6 1/2 hours travel time it is a destination that is mind boggling to visit. The site is now a major tourist attraction with many visitors and has become very commercial. Visitors are no longer allowed to climb the structures but can still appreciate the scale and technology the Mayans utilized in their construction. Though the group from the ship ws initially large, I was fortunate to be split off into a smaller group and travel to the site with 9 others in a small mini van with a guide. The rest of the group traveled to the site in a bus. Our guide was very knowledgeable and helpful. At the site, he gave us a tour and then left us to do our own site exploring. I wish that we had had more time there as the site is quite large. It would have been great if we had had some descriptive literature and a map for the site available prior to arriving. Though our guide talked about the Mayans during some of our our travel time, the travel time could have been better spent doing a little research explaining some of the site not covered by our guide. It is a destination I will do future research on and return to.
Read Tugnut's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Agtech4020
Feb 2016
We took the Mayan Ruins & Island Overview tour. The tour utilized comfortable air conditioned bus and we had a fantastic tour guide MiMi. Our guide did a great job of providing some history of the roads, pits, and structural remains of buildings and temples. The tour took us to a small beach shop with some great photo opportunities as well as a chance to put your feet in the ocean. Lastly the tour took us to a small visitors complete outlining how chocolate was discovered and utilized by the islands original inhabitants. They gave us a chance to sample the chocolate as well as watch a demonstration on how it used to be made edible. On the whole a great tour that was still short enough to allow plenty of time for shopping.
Read Agtech4020's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image nutocruzing
Feb 2016
Tulum was very impressive, well maintained and the scenery was beautiful. Our guide was knowledgeable and kept us entertained on the nearly hour long drive. Vendors were pushy and their wares were very overpriced. We got tacos at Frosty's and they were fantastic! This excursion was well worth the money, especially since it was about a 7 hour long tour from start to finish.
Read nutocruzing's full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Member Image Rick1818
Feb 2016
The ruins were great, but it requires 2 hour combined boat and bus ride each to get there and back and the tour is only 2 hours.....not a good use of time
Read Rick1818's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image flo1234
Very and informative
Read flo1234's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image Andrameada
Feb 2016
Loved this tour! Sebastian, our guide, was the best ever!
Read Andrameada's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image killineybay
Feb 2016
We took a tour with Princess to see the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza. We took the ferry to Playa del Carmen and then a bus to Chichen Itza. It is quite a long journey but we enjoyed it. The bus was very nice and air-conditioned. We did not have very long at Chichen Itza but we knew that. It was well worth the long journey for us especially as we knew we would not have the chance again. Our guide was very good but had to move fast. A great experience - fascinating site. This is one of the Discovery tours offered by Princess. A picnic lunch is offered on the way back.
Read killineybay's full Regal Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image ridgerunner51
Jan 2016
We really looked forward to seeing the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins. The ferry ride over was uneventful and I did not see anyone sick. As many others have reported. the bus ride to get there and back is very long. The bus was very comfortable and the drinks, snacks and lunch were okay. We were hurried along during the tour. My husband was upset that the guide did not talk about Mayan culture; he talked about honey production. Some very dark clouds began approaching and the winds picked up a great deal. We were hurried back to the bus and then to the ferry. The ferry ride was fine until the last 15 minutes. I was getting very concerned when the ferry started rocking side to side. They could not get the ferry tied up in the normal manner and ran a gangplank from the ferry to the dock. Only one person at a time could cross the gangplank. The crew held both hands until you could grasp the handrails and then again at the end of the handrails. The wind and rain were very strong and one woman's glasses blew off her face. The ship was supposed to have already left, but had to wait on us. It was pretty scary but we are glad we saw Chichen Itza.
Read ridgerunner51's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image bbrose314
Jan 2016
The San Gervasio ruins were neat. Apparently the Mayans had to all make the trek to the temples once in their life time for fertility and family. The red hand prints were amazing to see! Would not suggest people who can not walk easily on uneven ground to come on this as a lot of the walking is very uneven and rocky.
Read bbrose314's full Independence of the Seas cruise review
Member Image parakleo
Jan 2016
Our excursion guide was extremely difficult to understand with his thick,fast, mexican accent. some of his information was not accurate as he did a brief walking tour at Tulum. We found some of the other tour guides from other companies had better information and VERY easy to understand. This tour we went on only afforded about 60 minutes at Tulum so no time for the beach there. WE arrived after lunch but had only had breakfast on the boat. No food was offered until after our tour but had to be quick. The actual site was interested and on a beautiful beach!
Read parakleo's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image comcox
Jan 2016
In Cozumel I did the Tulum Ruins tour which began with a very choppy ferry ride to the mainland and then a bus to the ruins. We got a basic tour of the ruins and then free time to explore them on our own, head down the steps to the beach, and/or shop and have lunch on our own in the "village" next to the ruins. Our ferry got back to the pier 15 minutes before sailing time so it was a quick dash back. Our guide did try to sell us stuff and asked for tips, but that is common in Mexico.
Read comcox's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image Chappy Bill
Dec 2015
Our guide was friendly and informative. It was a great excursion.
Read Chappy Bill's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image BurghMLR
Nov 2015
This was a perfect half day excursion highlighting some of the island's most interesting sites. We saw the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio, stopped for photos at a beach outlook and got to sample chocolate at the Mayan Cacao Company. It was informative, fun and left us time to explore downtown in the afternoon.
Read BurghMLR's full Celebrity Constellation cruise review
Member Image 3scouts
Nov 2015
The day was perfect, not hot or cold. Just a few bugs were out. The ruins were ok, not great but ok. I had read about the tour guide trying to sell you things and thought probably an isolated case. Nope, she showed us all kinds of jewelry at the end and said we could buy it in the shops as a special promo purchase from her. Pretty tacky way to end the tour. But, we had a good time seeing the ruins, very few people were around so it was as if we were all alone. Some other passengers, not from our tour, were being very disrespectful and rude with the shop owners trying to get a discount. The stop at the beach was great and the stop at the Chocolate factory was super great. On the tour they have you sample tortillas with chocolate sauce, hot chocolate and then after the tour and in the shop, samples and more samples, did I say samples?? No one said one bite, they were very gracious in allowing you to sample, that was of course before me. Now I'm sue they have a limit, no, not really, they were very helpful and wanted you to sample all of their products. Everyone on this entire tour were very nice and wanted you to enjoy yourself.
Read 3scouts's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image FlyStef
Nov 2015
I booked the Tulum Ruins and Beach Break directly with Royal Caribbean, and I won't ever do that again. It was expensive, and we only got 20 minutes to really explore Tulum. Of everything we did, this tour was the biggest disappointment. First off, the seas were rough, so the ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen ended up being the vomit ferry from hell. It was contagious, once one person started throwing up, it felt like everyone started throwing up, there was vomit on the walls, the floors, the seats, it was everywhere, and so gross. The smell started to make me ill, I ended up putting a tube of sunscreen in my beach towel and held it to my nose and just smelled sunscreen to keep from getting sick myself (I don’t get sea sick, but the smell will turn my stomach). I felt bad for the ferry workers who were running all over the boat trying to clean up all the vomit. We finally got to Playa del Carmen, but the seas were so rough the ferry captain had trouble docking, and then it took a solid 40 minutes just to get everyone off the boat, because the seas were so rough the gangway was rocking and rolling and sliding with the boat. We all finally got off, got in our respective lines, and were led to buses across the street behind some buildings. We were all happy to be on dry land, and headed to Tulum, or so we thought. I knew we were behind schedule (3 hours from getting off Oasis to getting on the bus in Playa del Carmen), but thought there was still plenty of time for Tulum. But then our Bus stopped at this horrible tacky tourist stop as a “bathroom break”. There was a bathroom on the bus, and there were bathrooms at Tulum, we didn’t need a 45 minute stop at a tacky tourist destination. I don’t need to buy Chinese made magnets in the shape of a sombrero. I wanted to see Tulum. We finally got to Tulum, and we had a 15 minute walk from the Bus to the actual ruins where our tickets were finally given to us. Once we got into the Tulum Park, our tour guide then led us up the hill away from all the Tulum structures, and talked for 40 minutes about Mayan life, not Tulum ruins, or the structures he had led us away from, but just general mayan life. At the end of the 40 minutes, he told us we had 20 minutes to explore Tulum and then we were all leaving on the bus. WHAT? I had 20 minutes to actually see Tulum? Seriously? You couldn’t even do a lap at a brisk walk in 20 minutes around Tulum, I tried. My whole family started getting really pissed. We wanted to see Tulum, it was the whole point of the trip, and I get that our tour may have been cut short due to the ferry ride, but we lost 45 minutes due to that awful “bathroom” break at the horrible tourist trap. And then we were racing off to this beach break where the water was too rough to swim. That 45 minutes could have been at the ruins and not at that awful tourist trap shop. We could have cut the beach break down since the surf conditions were so rough. Why cut down the time at the one thing we all went on the tour to see? And why was our 40 minute tour with a guide so far away from the structures in the Tulum compound? And why did our guide not discuss hardly at all any of the Mayan Ruins in front of us, no architecture or construction details. Just that it was a trading post, and most of the structures were limestone. That was it. That was the extent of the knowledge of the Mayan temples in front of us given by our guide. Anyway, we raced to lunch at this restaurant on the beach in Tulum, where the beach was covered in thick seaweed and the seas were very rough. We had a full 2 hours here. Why? I don’t know, I would have preferred more time in Tulum ruins. Our ferry ride back confirmed my initial suspicions, the afternoon ferries from playa del Carmen are fully booked by the cruise ships, the available ferry to the public was at 6pm and would have been too late to make the boat. Overall I’m glad I got a quick glimpse of Tulum, but overall, I wouldn’t do it again. I would wait till I’m staying in Mexico several nights to do Tulum, and then Chicheniza. It was too rushed, and frankly too poorly done for the price.
Read FlyStef's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image PartyPlansPlus
Nov 2015
Smallest Mayan ruins but it was a 3.25 hour tour of the ruins and beach. Denisse was our tour guide and she was great. It was a good tour because it was short but I wouldn't recommend it for children (they would be bored) or people who would have trouble walking over very rocky walkways and for about an hour.
Read PartyPlansPlus's full Carnival Ecstasy cruise review
Member Image Red93
Nov 2015
While the bus itself left a lot to be desired, it was air conditioned, which was a relief. The tour was short, but interesting with a stop at a Mayan temple, and traditional village. The final stop was in a tequila tasting, which was fun. There was some up selling, but that's kind of expected.
Read Red93's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Skip36
Oct 2015
This was one of the reasons we chose this cruise was for the ruins.
Read Skip36's full Celebrity Infinity cruise review