San Diego City Tour Excursion Reviews

San Diego City Tour cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Take a guided tour of sunny San Diego and see why it's been coined "America's Finest City."
Member Image ew2103
Apr 2014

This is the only tour listed for those disembarking the ship here (versus Vancouver or Seattle), as I was. (Other tours return to the ship.) You get 8-second glimpses of what are surely interesting sites through the bus window (I felt lucky when a traffic light turned red so the bus driver had to stop and I could get a 20-second look). Then we marched (I said "marched," not "walked") around Balboa Park. The tour guide must have been a drill sergeant in a previous incarnation: "All right, you've gawked at that sight 2 minutes now! Attention! About face! Forward MARCH! Hup, two, three, four, hup, two....." We were marched to shops selling junkier things, at higher prices, than the shops in the Spanish-speaking countries. In the Old Town, I managed to sneak into the lovely church versus the greasy-spoon restaurant so heartily recommended. Then to the airport; the bus driver was very courteous and accommodating to drop me off at the nearby Hilton, where I stayed over until my flight home the following morning. Recommendation: Make the tour of the famous zoo (we never even saw it!) accessible to disembarking passengers as well as passengers who will return to the ship.

Read ew2103's full Amsterdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image chevytrkr
Mar 2014

We did the LaJolla and city tour. It was great. We drove through the Gas lamp District of San Diego on our way to Balboa Park. Then we drove over to LaJolla to view the cliffs and caves. An unscheduled side trip to Soledad Park was made. Our next stop was Old Town San Diego before returning to the ship. There is so much to see and do in San Diego, but our tour touched some of the best attractions in the city.

Read chevytrkr's full Grand Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image velevele
Dec 2012
The tour started late because the guide couldn't find a Celebrity staff member to give the tour tickets to, but once it did, it was a lot of fun. We did drivethroughs of the Gaslamp District and Balboa Park, then headed to Coronado Island for a restroom break and some beach scenery. Then it was off to La Jolla for a little cliff hiking and sea lion-watching. We ended up with about an hour of free time in San Diego's Old Town, where many people chose to have lunch, and where there is also a lot of shopping and some historic buildings for sightseeing. The airport dropoff was smooth and right on schedule. I took off a star as I'd have also liked to walk around the Gaslamp District, but we just drove through that. Overall, a lovely way to spend the free morning in San Diego!
Read velevele's full Celebrity Century cruise review
Member Image CarlyJax
Sep 2012
This is just a different name for a Duck Tour. We had a wonderful water part of the tour....super guide. Could have given us a much more detailed wheel part of the tour.
Read CarlyJax's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Provider: Disney Cruise Line
Member Image justsandy
Apr 2012
Celebrity offered a free tour because of delayed embarkation. Our trolley ride was hosted by a very humorous guide who knew her way around. We got to see much of Old Town, went over the Coronado bridge, and saw the beautiful Hotel del Coronado.
Read justsandy's full Celebrity Century cruise review
Member Image leighla3
Apr 2012
In town so short period of time, there wasn't very much to do. Plus I live two hours from San Diego.
Read leighla3's full Celebrity Infinity cruise review