Grand Cayman Stingray Swim Excursion Reviews

Grand Cayman Stingray Swim cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Encounter one of Grand Cayman's most popular sea creatures -- the stingray. Feed and touch them as you swim together in the island's turquoise water.
Member Image otters92
Jan 2017
If you go to Grand Cayman with kids, book this excursion! We booked directly through Captain Marvin's Watersports. They were fantastic and the excursion was even better than advertised. (I thought we would have 1 snorkel stop, but there were 2, in addition to the Stingray City stop.) Communication prior to the excursion and payment the day of the excursion were both effective and painless. Lastly, my wife left her sunglasses in the bathroom by the boat departure port and didn't realize it until we arrived back into the city. Anna and several drivers communicated by radio to find that another client had picked them up and taken them to her hotel, looking for the original owner. The drivers coordinated through Anna to get the glasses back to my wife within 30 minutes. They weren't an exceptionally valuable pair of sunglasses, but the employees went the extra mile to help us out. They were fantastic!
Read otters92's full Celebrity Eclipse cruise review
Provider: Capt. Marvin's Watersports
Member Image ColoradoExceptInWinter
Jan 2017
A bit disappointing - some guides trying to wrestle away a stingray to their group from among the few hundred (at least) people on the sand bar. We did enjoy touching and feeding a stingray that a guide from another group was holding. We did this once, would not do it again.
Read ColoradoExceptInWinter's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image Mac4YYZ
Dec 2016
Stingray City is a must see at least once in Grand Cayman. One of the wonders of the Caribbean.
Read Mac4YYZ's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image plawren2
Dec 2016
catamaran ride out to shallow sand bar, 45 minutes in water with stingrays - great time!
Read plawren2's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image aotten01
Dec 2016
We did stingray city about 15 years ago - maybe it has changed, maybe this was different, but remember being surrounded by stingrays years ago and now....we got to interact with maybe two. Not everyone got to feed them, because they got full after a while. Tiki Beach was nice - lots of additional activities such as snorkeling and paddle boarding for a decent price. The time to travel between Stingray City and the beach was excessive - over an hour, so time at the beach was limited. I swear the boat was traveling at idle speed just so they could make sure they sold pictures of the stingray experience to everyone who wanted them before we got to shore - other boats were passing us!
Read aotten01's full Carnival Vista cruise review
Member Image 1cruise2U
Dec 2016
Excellent trip, fun and exciting, would not take younger than 5 child as the Rays can be large and the water is about 3 to 4' in the middle of the ocean on sand bar
Read 1cruise2U's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Native Way
Member Image baileybrad
Dec 2016
Professional, easy to get to in port. Uncrowded boat. Friendly crew. Not pushy for tips. Well worth it in every way. See my actual review for more information. 2nd time using this company. Our captain was Chris. He is very compassionate with the rays.
Read baileybrad's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Cayman Eco Tours
Member Image spork1958
Dec 2016
Probably a must do (other than SCUBA) in Grand Cayman. Amazing experience for young and old. Holding a stingray isn't something I ever thought I would do! Can't say enough about Moby Dick Tours--I highly recommend them; they gave us an unhurried, uncrowded, and fascinating experience (again, reasonably priced!)
Read spork1958's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Moby Dick Tours
Member Image UCJAMES
Dec 2016
We loved the turtle farm as we got to hold turtles and got to visit Hell. My wife and son LOVED the stingray swim, I hated it as we were taken out by a small boat and the ocean was very very rough. If you get sea sick DO NOT DO THIS or you will regret it and waste your money. I was so sick I didn't even get off the boat to swim. If you want to do this and have your heart set on it there was a large barge type boat that did not have the issues we did.
Read UCJAMES's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image carribmom
Dec 2016
ok - very crowded but our tour did not feed the stingrays, and we had to ask for food instead of them giving it to us. Snorkeling was not good.
Read carribmom's full Carnival Glory cruise review
Provider: discount excursions
Member Image SwtCandi
Dec 2016
Booked through Trip Advisor. Was a 3rd of the cost of the ships excursion, and we went to the same place. Had an amazing time.
Read SwtCandi's full Carnival Glory cruise review
Member Image adventurenerd
Dec 2016
The meeting and pickup was a bit disorganized, we had trouble finding the tour operator at the dock (his sign was very small). The staff were generally very friendly and seemed knowledgeable. The "Captain" was a local from Cayman and a bit of a blow-hard but overall we had a nice time. We were forced to sit on the floor of the "taxi van" as it was overloaded and they didn't want to make 2 trips. There was supposed to be a pizza as a snack but we had to leave without it for some reason so the operator discounted the tour by 10%.
Read adventurenerd's full Nieuw Amsterdam cruise review
Provider: Acquarius Tours
Member Image golf1278
Dec 2016
Nice catamaran ride out to a natural shallow area to swim with free stingrays that come here to feed. Then it was a very short distance to the reef for snorkeling with lots of beautiful coral and fish. Fun and professional crew provided safety and entertainment.
Read golf1278's full Regal Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image Love2Dance4Me!
Dec 2016
The tour included Star Fish Point, Stingray City and snorkeling. Captain Mario and his staff were excellent and we had a wonderful time. Only 18-20 guests can attend and we had a blast.
Read Love2Dance4Me!'s full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Aquarius Sea Tours
Member Image ally harrison
Dec 2016
We could have skipped going to the little place called Hell and skipped the Rum Cake store as you can buy rum cakes anywhere. Would have rathered spent more time with the Turtles or with the Stingrays. This was all one tour. Driver, Jason, was very good.
Read ally harrison's full Regal Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image JassyTrue
Dec 2016
Not a fan of how the tour operators are treating the stingrays now. We did this years ago and enjoyed it so much more as we were able to touch them, but there wasn't all the grabbing them and manhandling them as they struggle to get away.
Read JassyTrue's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Serendipity_123
Dec 2016
This was together with the snorkeling. The sting ray experience wasn't that great in my opinion. A large group "hogged" the sting ray holding and picture taking experience. The water was so rough it was hard to stay upright and avoid stepping on the rays.
Read Serendipity_123's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Provider: Captain Marvin's
Member Image PNFL
Nov 2016
Thought it was very fun but there are a ton of people out there all trying to feed the sting rays. We actually got there before a very large group showed up.
Read PNFL's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image jjfanoele
Nov 2016
Booked with Dexters for a stingray swim, made it to port on the first tender to a very windy, rough sea day. Dexter met us at the port and told us the weather was not good for stingray's and didn't feel safe taking us with young kids, offered to drop us at a beach for free and apologized for not being able to accommodate our tour. I really appreciated his honesty and showing up at the port to let us know instead of leaving us stranded. I would book with Dexter in the future. So we ended up at 7 mile beach (Royal Palms beach club) $2 entry fee for adults and $10 chairs. Then hopped in a cab to "Hell" which wasn't too impressive....but a must see.
Read jjfanoele's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Provider: Dexters Fantasia Tour
Member Image ckeene95
Nov 2016
We did the Deluxe stingray swim because we were misinformed that for the extra $10 per person there would be an open, unlimited bar. There wasn't. But the cruise line fixed the problem and refunded the difference! We overall enjoyed the excursion and enjoyed our guides. They were very informative. We only stayed out in the water for 45 minutes because it took an hour total to travel to and from the site for the excursion.
Read ckeene95's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image eparker34
Nov 2016
My daughter went on this as part of the turtle farm excursion. The advertisement implied that there would be snorkeling, which their wasn't. She thoroughly enjoyed playing with the stingrays though!
Read eparker34's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image MaggiJW
Nov 2016
The crew on the catamaran we took were very good, snorkels etc were provided, good experience.
Read MaggiJW's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image SHIP TRAVELER
Nov 2016
Highly recommend this company for a small group experience at a fair price. They were senior helpful and kid friendly. The did everything their advertising described and more. We did two other stops with Sting Ray City and were very happy with our day in Grand Cayman.
Read SHIP TRAVELER's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Native Way
Member Image bronzedoll
Nov 2016
This stop was great as usual. The guides should however sort people into groups to go into the water. We had several who were scared to death to get into the water due to the waves and the depth of the water where you anchor. it was about 5.5 feet deep without the waves but as you moved onto the sandbar it was waist deep to mid thigh on me and I an 5 ft 4 in. My husband and I helped one lady back on the boat because she was too scared and our guides were involved in taking pictures (5 for $50).
Read bronzedoll's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image jadorecourtx3
Oct 2016
We took the Catamaran Sail and Stingray City, and I will never do Stingray city again in my life! The guide stated that this was the first excursion they had done in 2 weeks due to the current being too strong in the area. Well, they definitely should have waited another week because it was way too strong. I am a very strong swimmer and have never been afraid of the water. I never cared to be in the water with Stingrays and once near these giants, I became a bit uneasy. The female photographer we had on our excursion was very rude and not at all friendly. The sandbar is normally about hip height, but the waves were coming well over my head. It was hard to enjoy myself with large waves coming in, slimy creatures rubbing and coming up to you and a strong current dragging you. This excursion is not made for children and they really should warn cruisers of the existing conditions.
Read jadorecourtx3's full Anthem of the Seas cruise review