Grand Cayman Island Tour Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Grand Cayman Shore Excursions > Island Tour

A tour of Grand Cayman, rich in history and folklore, will touch on the island's many unique characteristics and popular attractions.

jaburke

1 review

The tour operator was difficult to find, but we eventually found them - their operations hut was at a different pier than the one our tender left us off on. We then got in the van and we went to Hell, a Dolphin Encounter and then 7 mile beach. We spent about 20 minutes at each stop. The guide did not really explain about the history of island.

Jay Swift

1 review

Joyce drove us around the Island in a small, nicely air conditioned minibus. Her narrative was informative, and we visited the Dolphin Encounter, the Turtle Farm, Hell, and some of the Island's historic locations. The tour was just under two hours, and would be good for those who have wondered what lies beyond Stingray City.

stickit34

1 review

Fantastic city tour of the island including Hell and the turtle farm. Also did stingray city, which was extremely fun. Highly recommend Capt Marvin's!!

MsNudist

The last day port day was Grand Cayman. What a lovely Island. It was so beautiful and clean. We rented a car off the web from Grand Cayman Auto and it was only $80 total. We even got upgraded. The cost once there was a bit more (about $120 for the smaller car, $140 for the one we were upgraded to). DRIVE ON THE LEFT! It was fun driving all around. First we went to Hell, and then spent about 20 minutes at 7 mile beach, and then everyone else from the ship got there so we left. We then drove all the around the island, stopping at various beaches and visited the blow holes, and the pirate caves. We had lunch just before we got to rum point and then we went to rum point. The folks from the ship were there already as well and there were still plenty of chairs to enjoy. The water was a bit murky, probably because of all the people. Gasoline was $5.53 the day we were on the island a gallon. We only used 2.75 gallons to tour the whole island!

Mocksville Cruisers

Tour left 30 minutes late with no apology

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

Tobias10

Tour of island was nice - saw lots of new development and some of the areas where the locals live

Provider: MSC Cruises

kuncelk

1 review

Caution: bring food! There is no food offered during lunch time and we were all starving and had to buy snacks in Hell (heehee). The tour drove by a few places of interest probably only to Caymanians, then to Hell for a 20 minute stop (very bizarre, but kitschy and cute tourist trap), but the driver was really nice and shepherded us around so we wouldn't miss the boat to Stingray City. Bathrooms were there and much appreciated!

cmurray234

1 review

We are glad we did this port adventure. The kids especially liked the hands-on eco guide as we earned about the mangroves.

We also learned a great deal about the island from our tour guide, went to Hell and made a short stop at 7-mile Beach, where our family hopped in the beautiful water for about 20 minutes.

skip.brandy

The Island part of the Island and Tiki beach tour, was easy, the guide vey friendly and knew her history.

virgintraveller

1 review

Especially interesting was the ship wreck exhibit & the 200yr. anniversarial plaque. Remnants of the keel & Propeller were wonderful. The Blow hole was awesome.

spazilla1

:Mostly this was a tour of condos along the beach. Not a great tour, but it would probably have been better if we could understand the tour guide a little clearer. She was great but hard to understand. We went to Hell, and stopped at the turtle farm and saw the Dolphin encounter. It was really cute. We returned back to the port with about 2 1/2 hours left to shop. But since we are not really into that we basically took the tender back to the boat early.

jimchet1978

guide did very good job
turtle farm very interesting

Provider: MSC Cruises

edeel5

1 review

The bus ride was nice, and the island is nice. I thought we were going to the Rum Factory but we didn't.

Cooley Consumers

The Island Tour with Saltwater Forest in a truly memorable tour. We were driven by bus around the island (yeah, been there and done that) but then we went out on a boat captained by Don. We saw the mangrove trees, canals of the wealthy homes, and the iguanas and birds of Georgetown. This is a must do tour. Danielle gave the narrative of the birds, flora and fauna with an in depth knowledge. Great Tour.

BluesCruise

It was a 2 hour tour in a van. We went to Hell and back, spent some time at the Turtle Farm or Dolphin Discovery, sampled rum and rum cake, and learned a little about the island. $20.

mikeyt38

The tour was very nice, with stops at the turtle farm, Tortuga rum outlet, and Hell. The driver tells you all about the island's history along the way.

grfg8r

1 review

Grand Cayman was Grand Cayman. Unless you bank or scuba dive, Jimmy Buffett's would be a highlight. Tour lady was very friendly and courteous.

Shelly196731

1 review

Unfortunately, we got stuck with a pathetic tour guide who told us very little about the island. I loved Pedro Saint James and the tour guide there told us more about the island in 1/2 hour than our guide did in 4 hours. He didn't offer very much information about the town of "Hell" (is this a real town or just a tourist place), nor did he offer history of the island. I asked him about pirates and he said all he knew was that there was a festival head each year for them. I liked the places we stopped, but I felt he could have told me more about the island.

niteshift

1 review

Beautiful island. Clean, safe, and friendly people. Beautiful foliage.

jdclark56

1 review

Nice tour. Enjoyed the Tortuga place and finally made it to Hell. The submarine ride was interesting and enjoyable. Only negative was fellow travelers disappearing and delaying departures from the stops. That made us miss walking around and shopping near the port because we were running late.

BenjiRodney

Excellent way to see the Island and learn some of it's history. This tour had 4 stops, The Tortuga Rum Factory, Hell, yes I can say that I've been to Hell and back, the Turtle Farm and Governor's Beach. I sent a few post cards from Hell and the Turtles were amazing, you can hold the babies, they were 6 months old and simply amazing, I could have spent more time here.

4daDA

1 review

Getting started was the problem, once the tour got started everything was great.

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

rb80

Guided tour around Island. Very informative, frequent stops at popular locations. Great alternative if wind/weather keeps you on land!

BODICERIPPER

1 review

Both of our bus tour guides were informative and funny. Amazing how they could drive manual transmissions, change gears, and use a microphone all at the same time.

PorkChops

1 review

The island tour we took included 4 stops: Pedro St. James, Rum Cake Factory, Hell, and Seven Mile Beach. Our tour guide (I forget his name) was extremely nice and was happy to be honest with us. I didn't feel like he wanted any pity like I've seen at other ports on tours. We got a flat tire in Hell (yes, we were stuck in Hell). Even with the flat tire, we still had an excellent time and felt like this was worth the $50 per person for approximately 4 1/2 hours.

foxcardia

1 review

tour started very late and was rushed. too much sitting in a van driving around, not enough getting out to actually experience things, maybe because of the time crunch. town of Hell nothing to look at - not worth seeing.

njaloha

Grand Cayman Island tour and Tiki Beach - well, whatever, don't know what to say. The tour took us to some tower thing which was in the middle of some underdevelopment residential and commercial area. The guide took us the long way to the "tower" passing shops (for obvious reasons) and at one point I asked how much longer the walk would be because my husband was having a hard time. The guide said, You paid 120 dollars, I suggest you stay with me." Talk about arrogant. We turned around and sat down to have lunch. We were on the bus waiting for the last couple and we left 20 minutes late because the last couple thought we were leaving at a different time. Tiki beach looked nice but you couldn't swim because of the reef. Never again. Not to mention we were kept waiting for 45 minutes at the pier for the tour to start. Shop the guy said. yeah right and then the tour leaves without us. no way. We ended up taking a shuttle back to the ship early because we suddenly realized we'd be getting back at 4pm. A tour that starts at 11am and is listed as 4 hours should get back at 3pm. Next time, if there's a next time, I'll take the sting ray tour. Friends did that and loved it.

Penguinkat

1 review

Booked with a street vendor outside of mall and margaritaville area. $15 for same tour the ship was offering for double the price. Safe and well worth it. air conditioned bus with about 25 people was somewhat tight but ok. Went to dolphin encounter, free rum and rumbread tasting at tortugas, mailed a postcard and had a beer at town called hell. Driver allowed some families to be dropped at 7 mile beach at the end and picked them up two hours later. Nicely done, highly recommend.

SJandSinFolsom

1 review

We opted for a private taxi tour. We went to the info desk outside the cruise ship area and he got us a taxi. We payed about $100 bucks (3 people) for a couple of hours. Might be a little steep but we got to do what we wanted to do and it was a nice break from the crowds.

jaskie

Was a great tour guide. Second time to the island and loved the tour.

DeeDeeBakes

1 review

Pedro St. James Castle, Georgetown tour. Excellent trip, overall experience was great. Good tour guide, very good information and history of the Caymans. 7 mile beach was a nice last stop. Great stop at the St. James Castle. Really enjoyed the movie and tour there.

Honeymooners_with_kids

1 review

Grand Caymen was nice. The price for the tour was right ($10 pp) and we had a great time at the Turtle farm.

tnndcruiser

We booked thru the Cruise line the day before we got there and although we had done this tour before it was a little different and informative. The turtle farm is worth seeing and touring. Also if you are planning on buying rum cakes you want to get them at the Rum Cake outlet because they are alot cheaper than they are on board or even in the U.S. (it says factory but you don't actually get to see how they are made).

wootonius

1 review

This was a lot of fun as our guide was very entertaining and the island was very interesting.

AMDTRAVEL

1 review

We got the tour for $20 per person. Since this was the second time, we knew exactly where we were going. The Dolphins, the rum store, Hell, Governor's House, and a brief look at the city. It was in an air conditioned bus and the tour operator was very friendly.

vips_va

1 review

Good tour, but would have liked to hear more of the history.

JUSTTWO4FUN

1 review

Very personable and does a great job. Very accomodating. HAd a wonderful time and a great pic with a dolphin.

twotimescruise

1 review

It felt like they packed as many people in the bus as they could and ran from stop to stop trying to sell things. I did like the last stop being the beach and the driver offering to come back in a few hours to take us back to port. I talked him into a lower fare but I still think it was too high for what they do.

roguebug

1 review

Loved the tour; it is beautiful in Grand Cayman.

larry_kak

We booked Cayman Safari and saw the island from a historical perspective and an island perspective. We had a native lunch, stopped at a local fruit stand for a smoothie, toured the botanical garden, visited the highest point on the island, saw fabulous vacation homes. It was a great tour.

LadyLion_AP

Cayman Islands...My favorite port. We booked "Explore Cayman Land & Sea" and had the best time. We went on the semi-submarine and saw two ship wrecks. Our guide was outstanding, explaining many of the sites and giving us a lots of information about the Cayman Islands. We then stopped at the turtle farm. It smelled bad but ended up being a lot of fun. All of us held turtles and ate a little turtle soup! We visited Hell and I sent myself a postcard. We stopped at a rum cake shop and went to the beach. After our excursion, we went to grab a bite at a restaurant near the port.

AZmike480

We arrived in Grand Cayman on Thursday and its looked amazing form the ship. The cruise ship was docked off the coast and tender boats picked you up and took you to port. We decided to take a tour of the island and found a tour guide for 10 dollars a person. The tour guide took us to several stops and shared information about the island in between stops. Our scheduled stops included 7 mile beach, hell, Tortuga rum cake factory, and the dolphin and turtle show. All of them where great stops and being able to see some of the island was excellent. Our tour wrapped up about 12 o clock. So we went into all the different shopping centers, finished shopping and went back to the boat a couple hours early. My personal opinion of Grand Cayman is a good one, I thought the country was beautiful, clean, and the local people are very friendly. The island primarily speaks English and the pricing is in US dollars. Grand Cayman reminds me of Maui and I would love to go back and spend a few days there.

indychristine

Grand Cayman...you tender here. Tendering was OK, no problems. We took the island tour with the turtle farm and Hell. I would not do it again but it was interesting once.

jimdanahar

Had a great time and the tour operators took care of us all day. I wish the picture opportunities at Sting Ray City would have been set up so my in laws on the boat could take good pictures of our faces instead of our backs.

rlhstatic

1 review

Our afternoon tour was with Webster's Tours. They took us to the Tortuga Rum Company store which took our breath away. LOL Then a general tour of the town, ending in Hell. Then to the Cayman Turtle Farm which I found very interesting and educational. It was a good "general" tour, and we recommend it.

jebsinger

1 review

We had been to Grand Cayman before and enjoyed touring the island again. This time we also went to a car museum which was interesting. The original Bat-mobile and Bat-cycle were there! It was great to go to the Tortuga Rum factory, Hell, and seven Mile Beach. All in all a great time!

sredish

Heaven on earth! Beautiful sand and water. Spent a glorious day sightseeing and walking on the beach for MILES! Tender ride is very short and easy.

RNretired

Nice bus ride to the rum cake place and around this small island. Stopped at Hell and the Turtle farm. That was interesting but this 2 hour excursion was not worth the $54 per person.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

believeindreams

1 review

Very beautiful island and our guide tour was friendly and knowledgeable.

iaminadaze

1 review

Excellent tour! Tons of pictures!

iaminadaze

Great tour!

karajeboo

Best. Excursion. Ever. On Grand Cayman we booked a private excursion with Fat Fish Adventures, and our captain Jordan made this the BEST excursion I've ever taken! We did Stingray City, snorkeling, Starfish Beach and Rum Point. Jordan didn't stick to a strict schedule, instead he watched to see when a large boat would leave an area, and then he'd take us there so we'd be snorkeling alone over a beautiful reef. He did the same with Stingray City. I will book with Fat Fish again when I come back to Grand Cayman. And because of this excursion, I WILL be back to Grand Cayman! Loved it!

stonemanor

In Cancun we went on a city tour with a great guide, visited the rum cake factory and had some delicious samples and purchased the wonderful cakes. We did some more shopping in some great stores that had more than the usual souvenir items and spent a leisurely day exploring.

brookelyn234

1 review

Loved the turtle farm, great tour for seeing land and sea.

golfingfool

Easy to book. No deposit required. Not crowded on the boat. Chris and CJ were our guides and were absolutely the best. Lunch at Rum Point was provided and was also good.

BUSTERBROWN99

1 review

Not for kids, they will get bored. Enjoyed the sights of the island, guide very knowledgeable. Turtle farm, Tortuga Rum, & Hell stops very interesting. Really enjoyed this excursion.

DidaWisc

1 review

Moby Dick A little too touristy for our taste. The trip lacked personality. Stingray city was something like visiting a zoo. Only about half an hour or 45 min. snorkel time, and the guides didn't get in the water to help point out natural features and creatures that we might have missed. (In fact, they didn't bother to ask if anyone needed explanation on how to use snorkeling equipment.) I guess it's cool to be able to say that you've held a stingray and felt one skim by your legs, but my husband and I definitely would not repeat this excursion. We would look for something with more time snorkeling.

tigtink

DAY TWO: Grand Caymans -- booked a Stingray and wave runner excursion with Island Marketing LTD. Got off the ship and found where we were supposed to go really easily. Met up with a local while we were waiting and just engaged in nice conversation. Tour guide showed up and stated the excursion had been cancelled due to weather (wind). We were bummed out but he offered to get us a reputable taxi to guide us around the island. For $20/pp taxi driver took us around the island for about 2.5 hours -- showed us Hell, we drank coconut water, saw where he lived, the rum factory, saw the dolphins and turtles and then came back to the ship. We are not into shopping so we went back on board for another nap in the sun. A little disappointing and I cannot really say whether or not this stop was worth it as weather happens. So took it as a sign that we were supposed to relax some more. Dinner of course was wonderful and the Carnival staff continue to be great. **As a side note - Island Marketing has already issued a refund of my deposit for this excursion - I notified them when I got back and no problems or concerns - will definitely use them again on the next cruise!

SFSing

1 review

An excursion to a rum factory, to a beach, and Hell. The rum cakes can be purchased elsewhere for 20-50 cents more. Nothing fabulous. You don't see them making it. It was a selling spot. Hell was a selling point too. They will not allow enough time for you to find post card and write it. Not enough time. The clerk there dressed as a devil was rude too. Only thing good about that was seeing the earth formations behind the place. The guide gave wonderful facts about the flora and fauna in the area. Every stop was just too short.

Provider: Holland America Line

Dallas_Doggie_Mom

We booked two excursions in Grand Cayman. Discover Cayman was our morning excursion. It takes you to three stops: The town of Hell, the Tortuga Rum Factory store, and The Cayman Turtle Farm. In He*l, we got to send postcards and meet the Devil himself. (I had to put asterisks because Cruise Critic won't let me say the town's real name!). The Devil's name is Ivan. For a small tip, we also got our passports stamped, which is pretty unique! At the Tortuga Rum Factory store, we got to sample different flavored rums and rum cakes. They were delicious. If you bought rum or other alcohol, they would package it and deliver it to your ship so you don't have to carry it around all day. Unfortunately, they won't deliver the cakes, so be prepared to carry them! The Turtle Farm is very cool. We saw turtles of many sizes - from 8 week old babies (which we held) to the grande dame, at 35 yrs old. She was huge, but she is still spry and loves treats! The gift store had great merchandise, and is reasonably priced. Wish I had bought more gifts here! The bus dropped us either at the public beach or back at the dock. We went to the dock and had lunch at Margaritaville, since we had to meet our next excursion at 1pm. This was a great over-view tour of the island highlights, and perfect if you want the afternoon free to either sit on the beach or do another excursion. Well worth the money.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line