Nassau Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Nassau Shore Excursions > Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim

Do not miss out on an exciting personal encounter with the world's smartest marine mammal—the dolphin. Grab on tight as it takes you for a swim through Nassau's turquoise waters.

kauaian-kitten

1 review

We participated in the morning dolphin encounter. We had to be at the dock by 8:30am which was tight with our Carnival Fantasy docking at 8am, but we made it. I went with my children aged 11, 10 and 6. My husband came as an observer and to take photos. The 15 minute educational session about dolphins is interesting and then you get to go to meet your dolphin. We had 15 people in our Dolphin Encounter group. We had to walk down about 3 steps onto a platform in the water and the dolphin comes up to you. The dolphin comes up to each person for time to dance, hug, and kiss him. Dolphin Encounters has a photographer, but you are welcome to take your own too. I had our underwater camera with me and my husband was on the observer deck with our regular camera. The kids enjoyed it and the trainer does make it a fun, memorable experience for everyone.
We were finished before 11am. We waited to see our group photo, which I bought for $14.

silverfocks

1 review

Enjoyable tour with dolphins as they are much better than some of the people on the cruise.
Expensive but worth the while to enjoy their company

sjring

1 review

In Nassau we went on the Blue Lagoon Island Dolphin Close Encounter, which was very well done. Unfortunately there was a concert on the beach that day so the beach was closed to us, and they provided a box lunch instead. The box lunch was passable, but there was pleanty of food in it. Not sure cost wise if the lunch made up for loss of use of the beach. I would want, however to try the dolphin swim experience on a future trip now that I experienced the dolphin close encounter.

Cruiser Family 8889

1 review

Finally, we went to Nassau and did the shallow water dolphin encounter. Definitely spring for the deep water one- it was much more fun, and you actually swim with the dolphins. In the shallow water excursion, we only got to kiss the dolphin, pet its stomach and back, and then watch it do 2-3 tricks (total of 30 minutes). The water went waist high as well. Also, it was a bit of a waste of time, because they make everyone who has the excursion come to the location at the same time. So your time with the dolphins could be 2 hours after the people you came with. Basically, you spend those 2 hours watching the other people hang out with the dolphins. Also, they take all the pictures and charge exorbitantly for photos. It was $70-90 for 5 small photos. This excursion took place at the Atlantis resort, so after your dolphin encounter, you can walk through the hotel, their fake Atlantis "ruins," and the hotel grounds--- all of which is very beautiful.

Bosslady146

1 review

Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim is an amazing program. They take the time to orient everyone, whatever program they are participating in, on dolphins, wildlife, ocean conservation, and the center itself. The trainers are fun and engaging, and incredibly good at what they do. The island is beautiful and offers plenty of things to do, including a super cool obstacle course. The dolphins were great and this is an experience none of us will ever forget!

Nassau itself is a bit dirty and rundown, which surprised us.

Don't make our mistake----book at cruises.com to get around Norwegian's heavy markup.

pinbot_67

1 review

Swam with the dolphins and we loved it. My daughter could not stop smiling! Just be aware that the actual time spend with the dolphins is very short. They do allow you to take photographs; you have to buy their photos, which are beyond expensive. The cheapest photo package was about $140 and went up to $500.

Think about that: $500 for photos!

megemily

1 review

My husband and daughter did the blue lagoon dolphin interaction and loved it. Said staff was friendly and Blue Lagoon was clean and nice. Lot less $ than at Atlantis.

bu89

Wonderful

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

lexmiller

We went to Blue Lagoon Island, booking the dolphin swim, not the dolphin encounter, through our ship, Celebrity Equinox, as a shore excursion. The cost was only $10 more to book it directly through the ship than it would have cost on our own, and it made the transportation piece to and from the island a bit easier for us this way. We had a fantastic day! Blue Lagoon's boat picked up our group at the cruise terminal. It was a relatively short but very scenic and enjoyable ride to the island. The mansions that are along the waterway are really something to see from the water! The staff at Blue Lagoon is friendly, informative, helpful, guiding us from the boat to the educational area where we learned more about dolphins, environmental concerns, and the plan for the day ahead. The swim groups are kept small, ours had only 10 people. Our daughter has mobility issues, and the staff was extremely helpful. We knew that she would not be able to do the foot push, but we still wanted to do the swim over the encounter. We were in the water with the dolphins for nearly an hour - it was absolutely fantastic, truly something that we will always remember. The foot push was a highlight, for sure, but simply being there, swimming with them, being "kissed" by them, holding their flippers and dancing with them , and so much more, it was truly remarkable. After our swim, we viewed the video that was taken of our group and it was so good that we had to get it - and we never buy these things, but when will the members of my family ever do something like this again, and to have it all captured on a professional dvd - ya, had to get it! In fact, we ended up buying the whole package, the prints and the USB drive - that is great, because then we can download ALL of the photos that they took of us, and there were A LOT, onto our own computer, and add them directly to our personal vacation digital book. There was no pressure at all to buy any of this, we just wanted to, as truly, this was a very unique experience. The shuttle boats back to our cruise ship left every 1 - 2 hours, so we opted to stay on the island and take one of the later shuttle boats. We enjoyed our time, playing baggo, swinging in the hammocks, getting some food - very relaxing, enjoyable! The beaches are lovely - I recommend the one that is away from all of the water toys, on the other side of the island from the water toys beach, still very close, but seems far away as it is very quiet and seems secluded. It's more of an adult beach, where you can experience the natural beauty of the island. Lovely day!

Provider: Celebrity Cruises

Michael808080

1 review

Did dolphin swim one word....AWESOME!

Provider: Royal Caribbean International

Bee1979

1 review

Good time but kind of a tourist trap and overpriced.

Red46

1 review

Our meeting spot was easy to find. They were holding signs in the air and shouting the name of the excursion. The trip over to the island and back was good including the complimentary rum punch or just punch. The island was clean and serene. It wasn't overcrowded when we were there. The dolphin interaction was beautiful. My mother in law did the regular interaction with Andy the dolphin and I did the upgrade to swim with the dolphins. It's only offered on the island and there is limited space. This was the highlight of my entire trip. Especially when Shawn & Goombay pushed me across the entire lagoon. There are several spots to buy food. A small gift shop is on the island. I plan to go back.

lynnmarv1

1 review

Excellent experience, very well run and truly a thrill.

Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises

TPFilm

1 review

Lots of fun, very informative. Not a sales pitch to buy their souvenirs. Photo pitch was relatively painless, too. Great beach on other side of the island. However, surf line is a little rocky wading in. Pretty quiet area as most people,stay on other side of island.

NeyNeyshus

Loved Blue Lagoon. Wish we had more time there. It was beautiful!

foxfire

There are two dolphin activities. the one we did did not include swimming with dolphins but was more of a meet and great these animals. for what it was intended, it was a good experience.

geeksquad

1 review

We had booked the Blue Lagoon excursion through portpromotions.com (much cheaper than through Carnival). This required us to get a taxi to the pier which was supposed to be a 10-15 min ride. The driver made us get off the taxi behind Atlantis and the long confusing walk to the pier resulted in us missing the excursion. This was a shock and pretty much ruined that day. I don't know if I will ever trust a Nassau taxi driver. Always note the name of your driver.

Luv2Travel_19438

1 review

Loved the Dolphin Swim at Blue Lagoon (lunch, not so much...) My 13-year old daughter and I recently went to Blue Lagoon as part of a Disney Cruise excursion while we were in port at Nassau, Bahamas. Although I have been to Nassau many times, this was our 1st visit to Blue Lagoon. We booked the "Dolphin Swim" which includes a brief classroom orientation followed by a generous amount of in-water and hands-on interaction with trained dolphins, capped off by a thrilling "dolphin push" at the end (where a dolphin or two propels you across the lagoon -- really cool!). Disney did a great job with the logistics. Participants met on the ship to get the needed IDs and info, and then proceeded out to get a "water taxi" to Blue Lagoon. This taxi was in the form of a large double-decker catamaran. We made a brief stop at Atlantis to pick up a few passengers, and then proceeded on to Blue Lagoon from there. Total taxi time was about 30 minutes. The ride was very pleasant, while we caught glimpses of numerous eye-popping yachts, beachfront mansions, etc. not to mention simply enjoying the azure blue waters of the Bahamas. It certainly beats most "taxi" rides I would say... Once we arrived at Blue Lagoon, we were directed to various areas depending on the type of activity selected (in addition to the Dolphin Swim, they offer other types of dolphin and sea lion experiences). For the dolphin swim, we were divided up into 4 groups of 10 people each; each group was assigned 2 dolphins and 2 dolphin trainers (while a 3rd staff member videos the session). Each participant is given a life vest, and hops in the lagoon where the water is about 25' deep. Thanks to the vests, it is very easy to stay afloat. Our dolphins were named Princess and Nina, and they were delightful. We each got to stroke the dolphins, and then in pairs interact with them as they performed "behaviors" such as kissing us (on the lips!), hugs, dancing, feeding, etc. After we all had our turns, the trainers had the dolphins do flips, play basketball, catch footballs, and more. Finally, we each took our individual turns getting the dolphin foot push, which is something you just have to experience for yourself to believe. Great fun!! (TIP: Search YouTube for "Blue Lagoon Dolphin Push" to get a glimpse of what's in store with this). Our group ranged in age from about 5 to 70 I would say, and we each had a blast. After the Dolphin Swim you exit to the changing area where you can preview the videos that were shot, and then proceed to the gift shop where you can buy the video / photos as well as a nice assortment of souvenirs. Return water taxis were scheduled for 1:00, 2:00, and 4:00 p.m. We opted to stay until 2:00 p.m., so we headed over the foot-bridge to the Blue Lagoon beach area. We didn't have a whole lot of time to explore, but my overall impressions were good. The beach/swim area is lovely, and they have numerous picnic tables scattered along the beach where you can relax in the shade of the palm trees. There was a beach volleyball court, a water inflatables area (for an extra charge), beach bar, restaurant, and more. In addition, there were a few "straw market" type stalls, hair braiders, etc. My only complaint about Blue Lagoon regards the beach bar and restaurant. To get lunch at the restaurant you either need to present a voucher (which was not part of our package), or go to the beach bar to pre-pay for the lunch and then bring the receipt back over to the restaurant to pick up the buffet-style food. This would be fine except that the "service" at the beach bar was dreadfully lacking. They were moderately busy, but clearly had no idea who came in when, and it took more than 10 minutes for them to even acknowledge me. By that point I'd decided I'd just order lunch for my daughter (thinking I'd just grab something when I returned to our ship), and I'm so glad that I did because the bill for 1 hot dog, 1 soda, and 1 beer came to over $23! Nothing like spending that kind of $$ for warmed-over cafeteria quality food... If we had it to do over again, I would have just bought some cold drinks in the gift shop, enjoy their beach for the next hour, and then plan for a late lunch on the ship where the food is so much better (and already paid for). Bottom line is that I would give the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim 5 stars, their food service 3 stars (at most), with an "overall" rating of 4 stars for the attraction. I do heartily recommend Blue Lagoon for the Dolphin Swim (or other animal experiences) and for the quality of their beach area. It's well worth the visit for those!

linda03

1 review

We booked online from home. Took a short taxi ride ($4/person) to Paradise Island Ferry terminal. Myself and the two girls checked in. After a brief wait we boarded their ferry. We rode past the mansions and yachts on Paradise Island to Blue Lagoon. Once there the beach day folks were to walk off the doce and turn left the dolphin people to turn right. We listened to a 20 minute talk about the dolphins and how to touch them. Then my girls and the others in the dolphin experience walked out onto the a floating dock in a square arangement. They sat down with their feet in the water. I watched from the back deck of a building overlooking the water as a observer ($25 versus $100). Group of 30 took turns on a submerged platform doing things with the dolphin and having their photos made by the Blue Lagoon people. When they were done we walked around the docks looking at other dolphins and then over to the beach part. Beautiful beach with a large shallow lagoon. They had hammocks in the trees right by the water. You could see colorful fish in the water. We purchased a meal ticket ($15 adult, about $8 for a child) and went through a cafeteria like line where they gave you 1 hamburger, hot dog, chicken breast sandwich or veggie burger, and fries. Then you could add toppings and fresh fruit as much as you wanted. You got one glass of tea or kool aid. Beach was wonderful, and my girls enjoyed it as much as the dolphins. The back of the island had rocks and tidal pools with lots of fish you could watch.

Isnadd

1 review

Long wait impacted our schedule. Tickets said 9:30, didn't start until 11:45.

JoAnn&Mike

Beautiful water...beautiful beach.

travissachs

1 review

Tried to book this one independently as it was cheaper. But Disney must have a deal with them as they had our names already and said we had to book through Disney which was about $40 more per person. Not impressed. The Dolphin Lagoon at Atlantis was the cleanest and best run dolphin center I've seen. Very nice.

sbb1256

1 review

My 30-year-old daughter did the dolphin swim at Blue Lagoon island. She absolutely loved it! You should be aware that you have to spend about an hour in deep water with a lifejacket. Quite a workout for the legs! But totally worth it! We got to watch her for free and also enjoyed the dolphins. Wonderful animals. Trainers very friendly. If you can afford it, you should do this at least once in your life.

Icecreammaker

1 review

We went to the Blue Lagoon and had a blast. The area is beautiful. We went swimming in the lagoon and the water was crystal clear. They have water-slide inflatables that you can use for $15 for the day. We did not do that because we were only able to stay for 3 hours and we wanted to see the dolphins. It was a 25 minuted boat ride to the Lagoon and on the way back we had a tour and saw some celebrity homes and had free Bahama mamas to drink on the way back. They had virgin Bahama mamas too. GREAT TIME

brandonsmom

Amazing!

Plutodog

1 review

The Dolphin Swim at Blue Lagoon is truly an amazing excursion. Andy the dolphin is quite a character. Becareful trying to get pictures of your experience though, the disorganization of the photo shop may cause you to almost miss your boat back to the ship.

pmfmjm

This was amazing! Book it! Our only complaint, there needs to be a more efficient way of getting us there. Took forever-- some people were late for their dolphin time. Also, you CAN go to the beach while you are there waiting.

860mla

1 review

Wonderful day trip to Blue Lagoon Island. Did the dolphin swim. Well worth the time and money. The food, however, was terrible and it was very disorganized. Book excursion independently, not through cruise line to get the best deal. We did this and had NO PROBLEMS.

kenyah680

1 review

We had a large group of us going to this excursion, 18 people. We knew that we would not be able to all go as a group but they split us up into multiple different groups. Some people were split into group over an hour later and in a group with just 2 people from our party with a group of 10 other people. The walk thru atlantis is approximately 25 mins each way so definately recommend to wear running shoes. Our dolphin was hilarious and very friendly. It is quite pricey at 170$ a person but I wanted to do it so felt it was worth the $. The picture prices are astronomical....package starting at 90$ us. Bring your credit card as most places do not accept currency.

ElvisAndretti

1 review

The private island excursion was exactly what we expected, the setting was beautiful, the only problem was we had to leave sooner than we wanted. That did give us time to explore Nassau a bit and do some shopping which was nice. Next time we're there we plan on spending the day exploring some more.

HerbertHanson

1 review

Swimming with the dolphins was amazing. Everyone should have this on their bucket list!! Really glad I did it!

williamjamiesonjr

1 review

AMAZING EXPERIENCE AT aTLANTIS,NORWEGIAN COULD LEARN A THING OR TWO FROM THE OWNERS OF ATLANTIS AND THEIR IDEA OF A LUXURY VACATION.

Mel77

1 review

Dolphin swim was fun, and well-run. Long boat trip to get to the Blue Lagoon island where it was, but a nice enough ride. The swim involved about 30 minutes in the water with dolphins, including being propelled across a lagoon by two dolphins pushing on your feet. My daughter had an ear-to-ear smile the whole time. It is a pretty intense line-standing, on- and off-loading thing, though, not for those who don't feel like a lot of waiting.

Memee

1 review

Fun excursion, but over-priced. Have been to Nassau several times, so really not particularly interested in going here again.

Provider: Holland America Line

sclandry

1 review

awesome, well worth the money

puddles99

It was a nice 30-minute ferry ride to Blue Lagoon before listening to our orientation & learning about dolphins and marine wildlife conservation. Then it was time to don our life jackets & head into the water to swim with the dolphins! We had two fantastic trainers who worked with us and the two stars of the experience - Goombay & Shawn, one of the dolphins (but I cant remember which one) had previously starred in a movie with Ashley & Mary Kate Olsen. We each had the opportunity to pet, hug, kiss, feed, dance, and interact 1:1 with one of the two dolphins. It was absolutely amazing. The highlight was at the end when each of us experienced a "two-dolphin foot push" and sailed across the lagoon as the dolphins pushed our feet. My youngest daughter was a little apprehensive about it so she road piggyback with DH when he did it! We were definitely riding high after this experience.

indytrvlr

1 review

What a great time! I had swam with dolphins before and never got to be so interactive with them. You can get pushed by your feet by them. What an experience. The sea lions were great too, my husband enjoyed how much more interactive they seemed than the dolphins. I enjoyed both equally as much. I will say that you can't normally book both in the same day. We were concierge and they helped us ensure we could do both and still make it to the boat on time.