Freeport Snorkeling Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Freeport Shore Excursions > Snorkeling

Snorkeling excursions provide tourists with the opportunity to experience what lies beneath the water's surface. Swim around Freeport's coral reefs as well as with the island's unique marine life.

magpie608

1 review

The Catamaran Snorkel was great! I have never seen so many fish at once. The staff on the boat was friendly and they made it very relaxing. The reason I give 2 stars to the excursion is the transport to and from the catamaran. When we got off the excursion there was nobody there to meet us and take us back to where we had gotten off the bus. We were able to find our way back to the bus stop but the bus never showed up. Ever. We ended up having to find our way back to the ship ourselves Nothing like being in a foreign country and being forgotten! I was very disappointed.

misstravelusa

We had been here for before and I will say it has improved in the past couple of years. There are a lot more stands right when you get off the ship as well as a new Fat Tuesdays and Senor Frogs, which are nice options if you want to get off the ship without having to take a cab anywhere. I don’t believe there are any beaches within walking distance.

We independently booked an excursion here to Pat & Dianes Sea Safari Snorkeling – 3 hours. Info is here: http://www.snorkelingbahamas.com/

This excursion was excellent from start to finish. Pat met us to check in, drove us in a nice a/c van, to Port Lucaya to meet the boat. Very simple process to check in and get on the boat, with a quick class on using the equipment. I liked that they have several lifeguards in the water with you, and also make everyone wear life vest around the waist – unless you are planning on “diving” under the water in which you can take it off. They also had fairly priced drinks and food onboard. The snorkeling was beautiful and crystal clear waters. An incredible experience and the fish will surround you as throw out the fish food. Boat also had a slide into the water, which the husband loved. And a rock climbing wall which the kids onboard loved. The staff were all very kind and gracious and helped ease any worries. We then got back to Port Lucaya and we had the option to stick around the shops for a bit before getting back on the shuttle. The staff communicated everything clearly on where/when to ensure you got back to the ship.

kauaian-kitten

1 review

We snorkeled with Pat & Diane's snorkel and had a great time! It was easy to find the bus for our excursion when we got into Freeport. We took a 15 minute bus ride to their dock and then a quick boat ride out to the coral reef. Lots of beautiful fish. We were finished with the excursion by noon which left us time to walk to the public beach and shop in the market. I was disappointed with the shopping. The prices were high and the items were not that unique. I can find the same things in Myrtle Beach! The beach wasn't that great either. We loved the snorkeling, but would not bother going back to Freeport.

tabmab1978

1 review

The tour was advertised as snorkeling and beach at Paradise Cove for $75 per person. The group of around 15 people were loaded unto a bus and taken to a beach about 30 minutes from port. The group was then given a 30 minute instructional talk on snorkeling on dead man's reef-- what dangers lurked in the water and what to watch out for. The instructions scared me off -- but my husband went for it. (I have snorkeled many times before) The snorkelers were taken as a group to the reef with the instructor. A guy on a jet ski followed to rescue anyone in trouble. So this was a very structured, safe activity. I stayed on the very small, but beautiful, beach area. There was a small snack bar and gift shop on shore. The whole tour, including transport, lasted around 4 hours.

Snickers08

1 review

Our first port of call was Freeport. There is not much to do around the port area expect for a small straw market and two bars (Señor Frogs and Fat Tuesdays). We booked a snorkeling excusion with Barry from Paradise Cove. Each person paid $35 for transportation to and from the port, and snorkeling gear. This excursion was worth every penny! We snorkeled out about 500 feet to a giant reef with lots of beautiful fish. We even saw a stingray and barracuda! We were picked up at 9:00AM and we returned back to the port at 12:30 ( second shuttle left at 2:30). We then took a cab from the port to the Grand Lucayan marketplace. Two of our friends shopped while the other two bought a day pass at the Grand Lucayan Resort ($15 per person). The resort was beautiful. We were allowed access to the beach, pools, and hot tubs.

g00412

1 review

I had read some pretty terrible reviews on CC about Freeport, so I was bracing myself for the worst. To our surprise, we actually preferred Freeport to Nassau. When you get off the ship, there's no vendors yelling in your face, and the area to wait for you excursion is right off the port. There were lots of colorful shops and restaurants around the sea port, but we never did do any shopping. We were only in Freeport from 7-2, so our options were kind of limited as to what we could do. Again, I really did my research, and decided to book an excursion not through Carnival. I read a lot of reviews about Paradise Cove/Deadman's Reef snorkeling (www.deadmansreef.com), and booked it because it was only $35/person for snorkeling gear, and transportation to and from the ship. We met our driver at 8:00. We left by 8:30 and took about a 20 minute bus ride to Paradise Cove. Along the way, our driver gave us a little tour and background info on the city of Freeport. When we got there, we got our snorkel gear and a little safety briefing. Then they turn you loose to snorkel on your own. They do offer a boat ride out to the reef for $5 I believe. Neither of us are really strong swimmers, but swimming out to the reef wasn't too bad. The reef was gorgeous, and I'm kicking myself for not buying a waterproof camera. On our way back to shore, we even saw a turtle! It was really cool. After snorkeling we rented beach chairs for $3/person and laid out. We ate lunch at the Red Bar which was super inexpensive (we both got burgers and drinks for $16 total). At 12, the driver took us back to the ship since he knew we had to be back on the boat by 1:30.

CornishPiskyVal

1 review

We booked the Western Heritage and Snorkel trip – this was good value for money and we had a great time. There was a meal and drink included. Our guide Ricardo was brilliant and took us all over the island – he had a through knowledge and was good at keeping us all interested. He was very patient with a screaming child and her annoying grandmother so we took our hats off to him.

senorcruzer0013

1 review

This excursion was OK. It is VERY rocky. The reef is approximately 200 yards from shore. Takes quite a bit of effort to walk out over the rocks to begin to snorkel. Almost everyone fell at some point. Would not do this excursion again.

SJDymond

1 review

We had booked a snorkeling trip to Paradise Cove/Deadmans Reef and took a taxi to get there (we missed the shuttle). When we got there the waves were so rough that we couldn't even get into the water so we decided to head over to Port Lacayan instead and walk around.

IDoSpas

We made our own reservations on this excursion. Check out their web site. deadmansreef.com
They have lots of packages to choose from. We already had our snorkeling gear so we made taxi reservations with Eva Mitchell winker005@gmail.com She was wonderful. Met us right at the ship with a sign with my name on it. There where 4 of us and she charged $10 each one way so it was $80 round trip. It's about a 25 minute ride the paradise cove. She was very friendly and full of island information. It was much nicer then cramming on a bus with lots of people. She brought us right to the service desk and made sure we where checked in and what time we wanted to go back. If you make reservations threw their web site it is $35 per person that includes snorkel gear. The food is amazing. I think we sampled almost everything and it all was wonderful. The snorkeling is beautiful, best on the island. The only down side is the walk out, it is very tricky. My son held my hand until we passed the rocks, a lot of people had a hard time walking out but once you are out there it is SO worth it. Unfortunately the wind pickup up a lot and our snorkeling was cut short but we still got to see a lot of wild life including sting rays and lots and lots of fish. I will post pictures. If you are a good swimmer be sure to go on the out side of the reef, you wont believe the wild life out there. If it gets windy be sure to come back on the inside as you can get thrown around a bit. We would go back to stay at this destination just for the snorkeling alone. The food is very reasonably priced and you will want to taste a bit of everything so bring lots of cash ;) if you find that you need to rent snorkeling gear there is a $10 deposit and don't lose the tickets they give you.

TheCriuseDirector

On our first day, we were in Freeport. We took the Paradise Cove/ Dead Man's Reef Snorkel excursion. It was an awesome experience except for the beginning where it was very unorganized. All in all, it was great and we might do that excursion again.

bradandnikee

1 review

Fun time, gorgeous, not fun to be attacked by sea lice (still itching a week later).

LaRob

1 review

Western Heritage & Snorkel Tour included snorkeling. We say an eagle ray. Very impressive.

LaRob

1 review

Western Heritage & Snorkel Tour was awesome. It has a lot of variety. The snorkeling was my favorite part. I would recommend it.

Wat girl

1 review

Great tour by Dwayne. Loved his enthusiasm and pride for his country. Was able to see a lot of areas, including some natural landmarks, as well as different types of architecture on the island. Our tween daughter did not want to snorkle, so I stayed with her on the beach. The water was nice and chairs were easy to find. Husband tried to snorkle, but unfortunately the mask did not seal well, so he had to come back. This was disappointing, but all in all we thought it was a good trip.

EdmundXXIII

1 review

Our Snorkel trip was well organized and enjoyable. Rode out to a small reef. It was an unusually large jump into the water from the boat, which was actually kind of fun. An underwater camera was included.

The reef wasn't spectacular, but nonetheless a lot of fun.

lauderdalegirl954

1 review

was a lot of fun, loved the jungle juice!

Provider: Celebration Cruise Line

SlavinPatL

Pick up was timely; boat was not in great repair and would not start for return to shore. The water was choppy but had lots of fish. The Crew were fun and pleasant.

sandbox8018

1 review

These people were great with everyone. They taught you how to snorkel and made sure everyone was ok. This was great for kids or first time snorkelers because you walk from the beach instead of being just dropped from a boat in the ocean. They stayed with the group, we swam to a reef and they brought some food to feed the fish. This was great, we saw hundreds of fish. You got snorkel mask, fins and life belt. There were restrooms available and a snack bar. I am now a fan and love snorkeling.

broadwayfreak13

Ok, Freeport. Well, it was Freeport. There wasn't much to do there so we went snorkeling. It was our first time and it was quite cool. Our tour guides were late, though, which didn't help since the weather was crummy. Once they did come, we drove to the dock, got our gear, and took the boat out to the reef. They taught us all about what we would see and how to use our gear which was great. The ride out there was terrible and the water was choppy and it was very windy, but we all made it. Once at the reef, we all got into the water and started. Since the water was so choppy, we didn't get to see as much as we wanted and we didn't stay in the water very long. Once back on the boat, they opened the water slide which a few people went on. But by the time the last person went down, it started teeming and the wind was insane. The ride back was dreadful but it stopped raining by the time we got back to the dock. We walked around the straw market outside our ship until it was time to go back. Also, I got a pina colada from Senor Frogs before leaving. Throughout the trip I had done a little experiment to see who had the best pina colada, the cruise, Nassau, or Freeport, and Freeport wins by a longshot! It was so good and only $5 for a virgin, not bad. When we got on line to get back on the ship, it started pouring again and it took forever to get back in. Well, I guess we could say it was an experience.

Johnshan

1 review

We thoroughly enjoyed our day of snorkeling with Pat and Diane's! Our guide Laura was fantastic! The boat was great, especially for the kids (teens). It had a water slide and a rock wall. The reef we snorkeled on was gorgeous! Tons of fish and coral! The whole trip was about 3 hours. We paid $42 pp. I highly recommend this company and excursion!

vabchtraveler

We booked an all-day excursion of snorkeling andd beach party with the very efficient Diane. A very pleasant gentleman met us t the dock and drove us in a bus to Port Lucaya - we stopped beside the road on the way to town to purchase 2 conchs for our lunch. Once at the port, we paid and boarded the Sunshine. Captain TK took off in a hurry to get us to the reef. We all got in the water and the snorkeling was fantastic. Lots of brightly colored fish. Dante and someone else were in the water to help all the novices get a good look at the fish while TK and Laura were on lookout from the boat. Unfortunately, it again began to pour down rain. Now, I don't mind getting wet, duh! uthis rain hurt like needles poundiing you and the seas got so rough that the snorkels kept filling, Definitely not optimum conditions. We all got back aboad and the broke out the bahama mama's. TK took us to Peterson's Cay - a private island with a picnic shelter. The rain stopped for awhile and TK showed us how to get the meat out of the conch. Dante made a delicious conch salad while Laura got bbq chicken heated over an open fire and served up the corn and sweets. Back on the boat - another downpour! Even with the blasted rain, the crew was so fantastic that we had a marvelous time. I'll go again next time I'm in Freepport and hope for better weather. I highly recommend this excursion.

frestuff

We definitely liked Freeport a lot better. People were more laid back and friendlier. It was a slower paced which is good if that is the type of vacation you are looking for. The marketplace that you pass when you get off the ship has free wifi.

simeon63

1 review

Only two bad parts, its rough walking into water to snorkel its a reef.The second worst part is it ended. This is a really good excursion.

IDoSpas

Our first excursion for snorkeling and private beach got canceled and we didn't find out until after the fact. We where the only two signed up for it. So we went to one of the desk out side and signed up for a 90 min. snorkeling excursion for $59 each. They provided transportation both ways. The water was very ruff but that was ok as we really wanted to snorkel. Once we where in the water you couldn't tell. They took us out about a mile, we jumped in and they threw bread in and the fish all came at once, it was awesome. The other people that went on the tour only stayed in for about 20 minutes and my husband and I stayed in for only 40 minutes as we felt bad everyone waiting on us. They didn't want us wandering very far from the boat either. But that was ok as we saw a lot of fish. I will post photo's if the review let's me.

allison0523

Awesome snorkeling trip. Pick up at port. Lots of fish and great visibility. Great staff. Left from Port Lucaya area.

K&JWood

1 review

Loved it! Our guide Michael was wonderful. He was friendly, fun and informative! Great snorkeling, good lunch (try the conch fritters) and enjoyed the informative nature walk.

moxiegretl

1 review

We booked the Peterson Cay Kayak and Snorkel Tour with a private tour company and had a blast (and saved money). The tour guide made our trip comfortable, gave us info about Freeport during our van ride and helped us kayak against the wind! Snorkeling was awesome and he stopped at a cool beachfront restaurant for lunch on the way back. It was worth it!

CTJoeCruiser

25 min van ride to private beach at "Deadman's Reef". $35 per person includes the transport, entry, snorkeling equipment & flotation belt. $3 per person for a beach chair. $6 per person to get a lunch ticket. Short education on the reef, coral, & fish life, and then use the beach as you wish. Great location, & great deal for the money. We had a breezy day, but still took advantage of the snorkeling to see some great fish & coral. On a nicer day this would have been a top notch excursion!

Cliffy204

1 review

We took the excursion that gives the free camera. We actually had a blast (even after my wife got over the fact we were a further distance from the beach than she liked). Travis and Ben were the captain's of the ship and both young Bahama gentlemen that seemed to have as much fun trying to throw each other in the water as actually driving the boat. Sally was the Admiral who kept the 2 young guys under control. The kept everything fun even though the weather was really cool. The little market right at the port was more than we expected and we were told they are trying to build it up more which is great.

Happyfamilyontario

1 review

For the price and what we expected didn't match. We took the sailing/snorkeling and paid extra for sailing which really didn't happen. My advise is to just take snorkeling. Snorkeling is the same no matter where you go,we have snorkeled in Cuba and Aruba prior. Remind you that we are not professional snorkelers just like to do that on our holidays.

Provider: Celebration Cruise Line

montezuma1994

1 review

We booked through the cruise ship because we had heard that Freeport wasn't an ideal place to go when you are on your own. The trip was through Reef Tours and we were very pleased with it. The snorkeling was phenomenal. We also liked K-Ron and Terry who were funny and made it even more fun. Highly recommend it.

taxgirl8900

1 review

The Sea Safari Snorkel was nice, the staff on the snorkel boat were fun, friendly and made sure everyone was having fun. The ocean was a little choppy therefore I got a sick but again the staff was super helpful and nice.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

kaymo1

1 review

great boat, very stable, easy to get on/off, staff was great, reef was fantastic, lots of coral and fish. Only complaint was they had way too many boats visiting this reef...very crowded.

LuvDCaribbean

A nice boat, lots of fun & a very friendly staff. The water was a bit rough but still had a great time.

SmokyTheCat

1 review

We booked this excursion via the tourism hut in the port in Freeport. The 2 hour tour took almost 5 between waiting for transportation, waiting for more people to show up, etc. We had a 9:45 reservation, waited about an hour for the transportation guy to take us to the snorkeling center. He was getting ready to take another group but I spoke up (not entirely kindly). Then when we got to the snorkeling office (which provided the transportation) they hit us up for an additional 10 bucks a person for ride. Snorkeling platform (though it had engine and steering) had to be towed out to the coral formations. It worked as a snorkeling platform but we definitely understood why cruise lines were not booking directly with this operator. On a poor - fair - good - excellent scale I would call the snorkeling only fair. Tour operator fed the fish with loaf bread. This did two things. It got all the fish in one area (good, we could see fish) but pulled them off of the coral (bad, we didn't get to see them doing their normal thing).

Galatz

1 review

We were originally support to go snorkeling through the boat which got canceled ($70 each). Instead we did this privately and it worked out so much better ($50 each, $20 each savings). They drove us about 15 minutes to their boat. It was a glass bottom boat that they took us out in over the coral. We then go an hour of snorkeling (20 minutes more than through boat) and the coral was so close the the surface, it was so nice. After snorkeling the guide drove the boat by the dolphin expierence nearby, and docked right outside of their cages. It was great because we got to watch everything for free from 20 feet away. We were then taken on a short water tour of some nice homes before being brought back to the boat. It was definitely $50 well spent!

cpbtjb

1 review

nice snorkeling, but not good swimming

zanem

1 review

HAD A GREAT TIME. CATAMARAN HAS A SLIDE INTO THE OCEAN AND A ROCK CLIMBING WALL. SNORKELING WAS GREAT

CruiseVaca3

1 review

Being so close to the fish was a lot of fun. Hard to use the mouth piece, after a while i just held my breath and didn't use it.

Flowerfruit

1 review

Crew Members were good, They sold food on the boat and also had souvenirs for sale (cheap and just about OK) We didn't eat the food no reason to spend $$ when we were headed back shortly. We did bring our own water anyway - so we were good.

Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line

thesnorkels69

2 stars out of 5

markwiz

The snorkeling trip was nice. Lots of fish. Water was excellent. I wish the guides showed pictures of the fish we could expect to see so we would knew what we were looking at. The only reason I knew what some of the fish were is because I had done snorkeling on other cruises where they identified the fish. After snorkeling you had the rest of the day to spend at the market, where they sell the same tourist junk like everywhere else, along with the overpriced jewelry stores. You can go the the beach also. The last bus leaves at 3:00 but there are taxis if you want to stay later. In December I did the Freeport bike tour. It was great but the weather was a lot cooler. In May, the heat would have been oppressive on the bike tour.

KenD17

1 review

Snorkeling, rock-wall climbing, slide into ocean, food and drink.

krayzmelmel

For my dad's birthday, I researched some snorkeling trips that we could take, and I made sure that it was from the shore. I read on both CC and trip advisor that a good snorkeling trip we can go on was Deadman's Reef at Paradise Cove, which was for $35 pp including transportation. I had originally emailed him wondering what was the cost if someone did not want to partake in snorkeling, and a quick reply from Barry stated that the cost was the same, but that non-snorkeling person could have a free drink and lawn chair. SOLD! On the ride to Paradise Cove, it was stressed and stressed again that everyone had to sign the form for the manifest, and on the 25 minute ride, the driver gave us some history of Grand Bahama island. We passed through the industrial section, which included the communication, power, and dry docks. What saddened me was the destruction of Hurricane Wilma in 2005. LOTS of buildings were destroyed, including most of the units at Paradise Cove. We pulled into Paradise Cove, and waited in line to pay. We all decided to try Snorkeling (yay!) so we paid and received our tickets to pick up our snorkeling gear, which included a mask, snorkel, fins, and a flotation belt. We had a briefing on what to watch out for, and were informed that since it was low tide, we couldn't walk in the water because it might damage the precious corals. We suited up, and off we went! The reef itself is behind some rocks, and it took a while to get there, but the swim was nice. Once we got out, it was about 15-30 feet deep, and we saw LOADS of fish... Manta Rays, and my husband even said he saw turtles! nice! I had no idea that we could see that kind of wildlife right from the shore. Water temp was cold upon impact, but it was easy to get used to it. We swam for about an hour, and rinsed off at the showers. This was about 12 or so. On the way back, we went through a different route, and arrived at the cruise ship around 1pm. My dad and DH were tired, so they went back to the ship, and my mom and I wandered around the little shops. Most everything was very expensive (compared to Nassau) so we also went back to the ship. (which was good, because it started pouring shortly after we got back).

Crewsluver

We went on a snorkeling catamaran that had a slide and climbing wall. The crew was great and the snorkeling was amazing.

bcsinger25

Nautical Catamaran & Snorkel - one of the best reefs we've been to! Great staff. Wonderful experience!