Maui Haleakala Crater Excursion Reviews

Maui Haleakala Crater cruise excursion
Overall Rating
An expedition to the extraordinary Haleakala Crater makes for a beautiful trip, but you may want to bring a jacket to keep warm.
Member Image smocz
Sep 2016
great tour guide
Read smocz's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image SweetPea68
Sep 2016
It’s a long walk to the beach! You can take a taxi but they are expensive, about $70-80 one way per person. We, along with many other people ended up walking to the nearest shopping center where you can catch a bus that takes you to another shopping center where you catch a larger bus that goes to Lahaina historic district. The 1-day round trip pass was only about $4 per person but the wait is ridiculous. They should have better transportation arrangements knowing that this cruise comes to town every single week. Anyways, once you get there you can enjoy local food or shop around the different stores. There you will see the amazing Banyan trees, make sure to take pictures because it’s hard to believe they are real. The views are beautiful and definitely worth the hassle. We booked the Haleakala Crater excursion through Skymilescruises.com to do on our 2nd day in Maui. We were picked up by Roberts Hawaii shuttle bus and our driver was Harry, an intelligent funny guy. Wear comfortable clothing as you will have to do some minor climbing to enjoy the view. When it comes to craters I prefer Crater Lake (in Oregon) … this was beautiful just not as beautiful.
Read SweetPea68's full Pride of America cruise review
Provider: Skymilescruises
Member Image MauiJef
Aug 2016
We rented a car and drove there.
Read MauiJef's full Pride of America cruise review
Provider: Car Rental
Member Image bonnierph
Aug 2016
Breathtaking sunrise and biking down the volcano was just amazing. Be prepared to be picked up at 2:45am for this excursion. Well worth it.
Read bonnierph's full Pride of America cruise review
Provider: Adventure Maui
Member Image eggplant7
Jul 2016
outstanding crater views. thoroughly enjoyed the amazing scenery!
Read eggplant7's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image makakilo@mail.com
Jul 2016
Took a bus ride up the winding road to the overlook above Haleakala Crater. Knowledgeable Driver/Guide and a well organized excursion
Read makakilo@mail.com's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image mystang52
Crater was awe-inspiring
Read mystang52's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image Yogi B
May 2016
Interesting narrative while getting to the crater. Time to walk around and take pictures.
Read Yogi B's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image jtpm
Long but enjoyable
Read jtpm's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image Peggyloves cruising
May 2016
Raining, foggy, windy! Couldn't see the sunset. Did see a few silver swords at least!
Read Peggyloves cruising's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image Capebeachwalk
May 2016
Beautiful vistas at sunset. Wild terrain.
Read Capebeachwalk's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image wayjenh
Apr 2016
Was worth the drive to get there. The weather wasn't great the day we went but it was still enjoyable. I felt like I was on another planet. ABSOLUTELY LOVED LAHAINA and Front Street with all it's shops, art galleries, cafes, pubs and the Outlet store where we got some fantastic bargains.
Read wayjenh's full Explorer of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image Pen1993
Apr 2016
Drove ourselves to the summit to see the sunrise. The drive is about an hour and a half. Plan to get there much earlier if you want decent parking.
Read Pen1993's full Radiance of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image artistic groundhog
Jan 2016
First, we rented a car on Sunday and drove to the crater. We hiked a little bit around and enjoyed the experience. The next morning, my son and I got up at an ungodly hour and took the sunrise tour. The crater was pleasantly in the mid-60's the day before, which lulled me into a false sense of security. It was 38 degrees that morning. I wore long pants, a t shirt, a long sleeved shirt, a fleece, and a windbreaker. Had I been thinking, I would have worn my pajamas under the whole thing. Fortunately, I brought gloves. Our bus driver was great. He got us to the crater early, which meant more time out in the cold, but also meant we were in front of all the other watchers. The sunrise itself was lovely. I live near the St. Lawrence River, so to me it looked like a sunset over the frozen river (we don't see sunrises over the river). The clouds looked like snowbanks. The experience was fun.
Read artistic groundhog's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image Joeisuzu
Nov 2015
Used Roberts. This tour is very hit or miss. It was cloudy so it was 5 hours wasted.
Read Joeisuzu's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image KristaJGizzo
Nov 2015
We did this on our own and are very glad that we did. It was a very rainy day and no one was able to see the sunrise because of the clouds. Would have been pretty upset to get up that early, drive those roads up in the dark and rain and see no sunrise.
Read KristaJGizzo's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image wanderer_deb
Oct 2015
great driver and tour - a tremendous experience in nature's diversity
Read wanderer_deb's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image Utjim
Aug 2015
The scenery at the crater is almost unreal. You are above the clouds and looking at something that they trained the Mars rover on. Hard to describe but well worth the money to take this tour.
Read Utjim's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image LuauLei
Jul 2015
This is a must do. I went with Roberts Hawaii on the Haleakala at Sunset tour. It got cold, so take a coat. The view from above the clouds was one of the most magnificent sunsets I've ever seen. Wear good walking shoes because there is a bit of challenge walking up and down the path to the top of the mountain. It was wonderful having Warren, an amazing bus driver, wind up and down that very steep mountain. It takes a lot of strength to maneuver those curves and Warren did a great job.
Read LuauLei's full Pride of America cruise review
Provider: Roberts Hawaii
Member Image Adessii Austin
Jul 2015
View was breathtaking
Read Adessii Austin's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image limmerb
Jun 2015
We had foggy weather and therefore didn't see the sunrise at Haleakala, but the bike ride down was fun even though we had rain at times and thankfully they provide windbreaker/rain jackets and pants (this was the 3rd time my husband and I did this, and 2nd time for our son). We had to walk several blocks to meet the van.
Read limmerb's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image eewhlpn
May 2015
The tour bus operator was wonderful, great safe driver and great stories, weather on that day was horrible so didn't see the crater or the sunset so that was disappointing but not tours adult.
Read eewhlpn's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image Anacwood
May 2015
Shore excursion was great. Gorgeous view. Driver was so nice, friendly and funny. My only recommendation, wear warm clothes. Very cold up there and very windy. It is worth the money. You cannot miss this one
Read Anacwood's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image oskar95
May 2015
Sunset tour was AMAZING and very beautiful. We had the best driver who talked continously from departing the pier to top of crater. Sunset was breathtaking.
Read oskar95's full Pride of America cruise review
Member Image flgranny
May 2015
Wow, traveling up a zig-zag road through the clouds to the top of the volcano at 10,000 feet, then down to the Iao Valley where the Hawaiian kings are buried, followed by a brief shopping trip to Lahaina. Through in a nice sit-down lunch, and you have the makings of a perfect day.
Read flgranny's full Carnival Legend cruise review