Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Dominica Kayaking Excursion Reviews

Dominica Kayaking cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Kayaking through Dominica's tropical waters is a fun and active way to experience the Caribbean's gorgeous scenery.
Member Image s2kreno
Mar 2015
It was so much fun. River kayaking down to the ocean (little rapids, class 2 mostly). Guides were lots of fun and they took very good care of me because I was able to paddle but not walk real well. Scenery was fantastic, got in a good workout and had a blast. Got some local food to taste and some rum punch too. Learned a lot about the island and came back to the ship happy and tired.
Read s2kreno's full Celebrity Summit cruise review
Member Image Dtcall
Mar 2015
Staff was very friendly and up beat! Van ride from cruise port to entry point on the rive, approximately 20 minutes. After receiving paddles, life vests, and helmets, we were given a brief introduction to kayaking and then loaded the kayaks. This was fine for us because we have experience with canoeing and know a bit about paddling, but others struggled a bit more. There were at least 5 staff members, so help was never far away. The river flowed gently, but did have a few faster, rougher parts which were fun. The view of the forest on the banks of the river was pretty, but there was also lots of excavating which was not as nice to look at. The transition from river to ocean was fun and the short stop on the black sand beach was enjoyable. Dominica is not as economically prosperous as some of the other ports. The port is right in town, so there is lots to see, but we did not feel as comfortable walking far form the pier.
Read Dtcall's full Celebrity Summit cruise review
Member Image Nipigongirl
Dec 2012
I love Dominica and would go back there again. We did the Downstream River to Ocean Kayak (RO14). I did this tour two years ago with another adult and we had a very good time. This time however wasn't as good but it was not the fault of the tour company. The river/landscape got severely altered last year when there was a very large landslide from the mountain. They were still dredging the river when we were there but we hit a lot of rocks and sandbars on the way to the ocean. I didn't find this very much fun although my daughter still liked it but she had never been kayaking before. I also felt that they rushed the tour and that might have been because of the rain. We had a quick swim in the ocean...maybe 20 minutes and instead of kayaking 1/2 back up the river, we walked a bit to an area that where our meeting place was. I assume this is done because of the overall difficulty kayaking because of the rocks, etc. We were given juice and/or rum punch and then tasted some local fish dish. The rum punch and fish were excellent. Then we waited over an hour for our bus driver to return. We were told he had been sent on another errand which is why he was delayed. The bus driver finally came back and I will say that the bus driver was very informative on both the trip to and back from the kayaking spot. He did apologize for the delay and I did give him a tip because he did take the time to point out different things...even pulling over to pick some lemon grass for us all to smell. But, based on the condition of the river, I would not do this excursion again but definitely would love to go back to Dominica.
Read Nipigongirl's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review