Dominica Island tour Excursion Reviews

Dominica Island tour cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Dominica is known as the "Nature Isle of the Caribbean," and for good reason. Explore the lush rainforests and wide variety of exotic species that populate this idyllic island.
Member Image Sunluvr27
Mar 2016
Before the cruise, I scheduled a tour with Levi of Bumping Tours. He was very responsive to email and did not require any kind of deposit ahead of time. He met us outside the cruise terminal and loaded the 12 of us into his very clean, air conditioned van to head to Champagne Reef. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with the bubbles on the reef, but the snorkeling was great. Fairly clear water even in the rain, with beautiful coral, fish and even a turtle or two. Levi was a very competent swimmer/diver and pointed out several underwater items I would have missed otherwise. After the swim, he had beer, soda and water for all of us. The next stop was Titou Gorge. Unfortunately the rain made the current to fast to wade up to the waterfalls. Bummer. It was still fun to see. All along the trip Levi would point out different spice trees and fruit growing wild on the side of the road. We then made two stops, one to dual waterfalls and one to an overlook about the city of Roseau. Everyone had a great trip even in the rain!
Read Sunluvr27's full Royal Princess cruise review
Provider: Bumping Tour
Member Image Gary72
Nov 2015
Nice overview with Bumping tours (went to Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Falls, etc.) Significantly less expensive than cruise line, however, significant walk from ship to meeting place.
Read Gary72's full Royal Princess cruise review
Member Image philgard
Nov 2015
Fabulous
Read philgard's full Thomson Celebration cruise review
Provider: local taxi
Member Image Boopy1226
Oct 2015
Had a great time! Very beautiful island. Driver was very knowledgeable .
Read Boopy1226's full Carnival Liberty cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Line
Member Image moon_hanaii
Mar 2015
I booked online with down pay. The port is not as described in registration sheet. Pepper actually hired a local taxi to give me a tour without telling me. I kept looking for his logo on the car, I cannot find it. Local ppl told me he had already gone. The time on my sheet is 8:30am, I am outside of the port at 8:05 am. I am not very happy with this kind of setup. Also, there are some miss communication between me and the driver that he hired. Although Pepper finally end up gave me a tour, but I missed the first hour of the tour, also the entire trip is not very pleasant because he intentionally ignore us. For example, he will ask other two travelers if they want to have picture together, but we have to ask him to help us to take the picture, he will not offer the help. He always stop at the location is fit those two ppl's view better but not us. Maybe because I travel with kids, but this kind of attitude, I just cannot give him a higher score. Regardless what, unless he doesn't take my business, if he took my business, then he should treat equally to everyone, I pay the money already.
Read moon_hanaii's full Royal Princess cruise review
Provider: Pepper
Member Image shizoik
Mar 2015
Wonderful overview of the islands past & present. beautiful views of the island, countryside & locals. We were glad we toured the island lush tropical scenery and learned some history about the island.
Read shizoik's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image purfekt10
Mar 2015
We took a tour of this island and spent time learning about the history, customs, and people who lived there. The stop at the falls and Emerald Pool was amazing. It was a great spot for taking pictures.
Read purfekt10's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image OttawaMom
Feb 2015

So informative to learn about the people and what they grow and live in this beautiful country.

Read OttawaMom's full Legend of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image tbmrt
Dec 2014

Desmond was a very informative, polite guide. Really loved Dominica and was a pleasure to be with touring the island.

Read tbmrt's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Provider: Reyno
Member Image Cruz4Sun
Nov 2014

The ship sponsored excursion Trolley Train Scenic Ride-Roseau sounded like a good idea for our first trip to this island. Roseau and the trip were underwhelming. The promised beverage at a waterfront bar ended up being a rum punch standing up at the botanical garden. This was not what I had envisioned.

Read Cruz4Sun's full Royal Princess cruise review
Member Image DeputyDawg46
Mar 2014

The excursion (South Atlantic...) we took that went to the Southern end of the island of Dominica was pathetic. Very poor tour and tour guide was more of a hyperbolizer. He represented himself and his island of Dominica in a false and exaggerated manner. Was a total waste of money!! Our mini-bus had 11 paxs and was crowded and hot and the same company mini-bus that trailed us at each stop had 2 paxs. But the guide would not let anyone transfer to the other bus even though it was the same company and they would marry up with us at each stop.

Read DeputyDawg46's full Jewel of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image sandland
Jan 2014

We had a great tour with Kash (our guide) and Charles (our driver), who took us to the rain forest, where we hiked down to the Emerald Pool and swam beneath the waterfall. We stopped at Mr. Nice Fruit Stand, where we enjoyed the fruit and the banter of Mr. Nice. The fruit was free, but we all made a contribution in the form of a tip so that Mr. Nice could continue to feed and entertain other travelers. We then went on to Trafalgar Falls and to the sulphur springs, where we soaked and relaxed in the warm waters. Kash was a great guide and made our experience of the island very enjoyable.

Read sandland's full Celebrity Summit cruise review
Provider: Bumpiingtours
Member Image Ines & Volker
reviews
Dec 2013

In Dominica we booked with Bumpingtours. On Christmas Eve there was heavy rain what resulting in massive flooding and triggering landslides in several parts of the island. They took us to Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls and we enjoyed bathing in the hot springs. Our tour guide Kash seemed not to be in a good mood. One part of the tour should be snorkeling in Champagne Beach. They told us due to the weather conditions we couldn't do the snorkeling which I was all geared up to do. But on the ship other cruisers told us they've been to and they enjoyed it very much.

Read Ines & Volker's full cruise review
Provider:
Member Image firstbadger
Oct 2013

Our favorite island. We took a popular tour you will find on recommended sites. We were treated well with snorkeling, swimming into a waterfall and then hiking to the hot springs. Views were great. The snorkeling was very good. We were broken into groups of 8, so it worked well. W

Read firstbadger's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Member Image Sprotbrough sailors
Mar 2013
Rainbows & rivers... Best tour of the holiday! Despite being told by several couples we had chatted to on the ship who had visited this island the week we before we embarked - " not to bother getting off the ship" or "there is nothing there", we decided to go ahead and go on a tour with some friends. We wanted to see the Emerald Pool, the Trafalgar Falls and the sulphur springs. We found a number of local tours and taxis offering various trips at the port but happend to get lucky with our amazing driver and guide - Jamerson. The 4 of us had a great day on the beautiful island choc full of fruit and flowers. Despite the number of taxis parked at the entrance to the national park (you must pay the 5USD fee to enter) when we reached the pool it was not busy and we took some lovely pictures. it is only a round 15 mins walk from the car park but wear sensibe shoes as it is slippy. We saw a fresh water crab on the path way at one point a hummingbirds later in the day. Jamerson took us to see the famous "Mr Nice" for some local fruit and entertainment - this was great fun. The boys had a go at crushing sugar cane and we drank this as well as trying all the local bananas, grapefruit and a delicious spicy coconut treat. We only went to see the falls from the other side of the valley close to the suplhur springs which were very smelly! But the view was great and a huge rainbow formed just for us it felt. On the way back to the ship around 4 hours after we 1st got in the taxi (we had to tell Jamerson that we really should be getting back to the ship!)we stopped off at the botanical gardens and Windsor park - very beautiful and obviusly loved and enjoyed by the locals. A cricket match was in full swing and we could easily have stopped all evening. Roseau was clearly not a great town for international shopping when we drove through on the way back to the ship, but as this was not want we were looking for on our holiday, Dominica really delivered the Caribbean we had hoped to see.
Read Sprotbrough sailors's full Azura cruise review
Provider: Jamerson Pier - local guide
Member Image obnurse
Mar 2013
After our "official" excursion on the Fun Cats, our driver (Lindberg) offered to take us on an island tour for $10 per person. We stopped at a fruit stand and enjoyed fresh fruit of the islands. Yummy! We stopped for pictures in a couple spots, including seeing Trafalgar Falls from a distance. It was nice and well worth the $10. Our driver was great. We enjoyed him.
Read obnurse's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image mmam40
Feb 2013
Good trip around the island Fortunate to be a carnival day
Read mmam40's full Ventura cruise review
Provider: P&O Cruises
Member Image awhfy
Feb 2013
Superb island tour that went to Jaco Falls, Trafagler Falls & Emerald Pool. Also stopped at the Musum & other scenic overlooks
Read awhfy's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image VICTOR MATURE
Feb 2013
What an awful place, deep drains everywhere, broken light bulbs, telephone boxes sullen staff in shops, electrical cables sticking up out of the tarmac on street corners. The island was a true volcanic island and we visited a live " Vent" and the waterfalls and the beaches. That was good but when we returned to the town couldn`t wait to get on to the ship.
Read VICTOR MATURE's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image kmr0708
Jan 2013

Great tour! Comfortable vehicle & informative tour guide.

Read kmr0708's full Silver Spirit cruise review
Provider: Silversea Cruises
Member Image Temperate
Dec 2012
I made a major error in planning for this port but in the end, we had a fabulous day. We had planned to book one of the "Indian River boys," through the Portsmouth Indian River Tour Guides Association to go down the Indian River once we arrived in port. However, what I failed to realize was that this was not a port where our ship was located but rather it was one hour away and we decided not to do it. However, we later realized we should have just done it-especially since we heard how fabulous it was from others. We instead went to the tour information place in the port we were and arranged an amazing tour through a guide that was stationed there to facilitate tours. We had asked the woman inside the building behind the desk but to put it bluntly, she was very unhelpful and very unfriendly. The Guide outside was friendly, extremely helpful, humorous and happy to find the perfect person to provide us with a private tour. He was a very nice and sweet man -incredibly knowledgeable, creative, resourceful, and gracious and the best tour guide we have met on any journey. Unfortunately he neglected to write down his name but we think it might be Pippin (sorry)? He is 50 but looks much younger and is genuine! His van was comfortable and air conditioned but the tinted windows made it difficult to fully appreciate the beauty when driving. The top opened and we could pop out and take a picture whenever we saw something we wanted to capture. He would stop wherever we wanted and at no time did he make us feel rushed (one price no matter length of tour). Along the way he would just stop and show us something - i.e. a leaf that if touched would shrivel up and die (would revive however later), picked a grapefruit then jumped back in, peeled it and gave us some to eat and again with a star fish. He stopped and got us a feast of bananas and that was what our trip was full of. We stopped at many of the tourist places that we wanted to see and he explained in great detail everything about the island. The roads are reasonable and although they drive on the opposite site it feels doable -- as long as you honk going around corners. The island is incredibly beautiful, lush and the rain forest is truly amazing. At the end of the day, we all decided that of all the islands we have visited over the years, this one was our very favourite and we haven't seen it all so it will be the island we will return to.
Read Temperate's full Emerald Princess cruise review
Member Image OhioLEO
Nov 2012
This was our only planned excursion of the cruise. It was booked privately not through the cruise ship. Company was called Bumpiing Tours. Levi was our contact. We emailed back and forth after I found a review here on CC. There were 7 in our group that did the island tour, Emerald Pool, Mr Nice fruit stand, Trafalgar Falls, Sulpher Springs, Rain Forest tour and Morne Bruce. Our guide Kashma was wonderful and explained everything that we saw. Brendon our driver was great to hang out with and talk. They got us to the Emerald Pool before the rest of the tours from the ship showed up so we were able to enjoy the cool water pretty much by ourselves. By far the best day of the cruise. I will def use them again and highly recommend them to anyone.
Read OhioLEO's full Celebrity Summit cruise review
Provider: Bumpiing tours
Member Image dml71913
Nov 2012
www.nietours.com provided a custom tour of the island (5 1/2 hrs) for the same per person cost as a 3-4 hour canned tour from the ship. Totally awesome experience with a personalized tour that took us places that few tourists see. Nature Isle Explorers provided a totally custom tour experience that included the entire mid to lower portion of the island. This included Scott's Head and the Soufriere fishing village, both of which are very worthwhile visiting.
Read dml71913's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Provider: Nature Isle Explorers
Member Image NGOrlando
Nov 2012
Dominica is a paradise. The tour was $30 per person with a guy named "Shyguy" (767-276-9447). Ya mon, you didn't seem shy to me! Please ask for this guy. The van is clean. Shyguy is also very charismatic. Shyguy took us to the Emerald waterfalls. We were the first group (8) there. I took a bunch of pictures. The Falls was ours for about 30 minutes. You can get inside. After 30 minutes, the people who paid the over priced excursion began to show up. So our private excursion was cheap and we got there way before the big crowd showed up...sweet.
Read NGOrlando's full Emerald Princess cruise review
Member Image RoxieRue
Apr 2012
We selected a local driver to take us to Champagne Beach, and a tour of the island. Champagne beach was disappointing as it was all rock, cost $2.00 each to get in. My friend said there were "some" fish I thought there should be other beaches I would suggest another area to go to. The driver took us to the rain forest, and steam pools. I personally would just as soon have stayed on the ship. The island is extremely poor. I would recommend a boat tour as the roads are extremely rough wherever you go.
Read RoxieRue's full Celebrity Summit cruise review