Punta Arenas Penguin Reserve Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Punta Arenas Shore Excursions > Penguin Reserve

The Punta Arenas Penguin Reserve provides the perfect opportunity to observe the adorable creatures up close.

smajy

All the penguins at the Otway Sound Penguin Colony are gone by March. If you are going that late, do not book any penguin excursion.

Provider: Independent Operator

boulders

Three of us went on this shore excursion. It involved a short bus ride to the ferry and a 2 hour ferry ride each way to Magdalena Island. A snack and lunch pack was provided with 2 sandwiches, chocolate bar, cereal bar, large bottle of water and a large juice pak. Magdalena Island was covered with Magellan penguins. We were told there were 200,000 penguins. Even on the ferry you were extremely close to the penguins. We had seen the Magellan penguins at Volunteer Point though. So, while I got some great pictures, having been to the Falklands, it would have been better to save the money. This shore excursion was also sold out.

Provider: Holland America Line

Santorinigirl7

1 review

In Punta Arenas, we booked again with Shore Excursions and went to Otway Sound Penguin Reserve. Not that many penguins were still there but I got some good photos and the scenery was beautiful. I think it was worth it. A small bus of approximately 18 or so, and they willingly dropped us off in the middle of town at the end to do some shopping. Our friends went sea-kayaking. I don't know who they booked with but it was literally half of what the HAL people were paying on the same tour. I think they had hoped it would be a bit more scenic but they paddled with a lot of porpoises.

Provider: Independent Operator

diarykeeper

1 review

Took a ferry ride to the Penguin Reserve. All staff, guides and couriers very good and friendly. Fabulous day/

Salty Dave

1 review

I have penquin fever - I love those little critters.

KayakOtter

Very windy and limited to path to see Penguins. Still was fun. Long very bumpy ride to Reserve.

beach grandma

The Penguin Reserve was fabulous. We took a 2 hour ferry to the Magdalena Island reserve then spent an hour with the penguins. There were hundreds of them and we were very close to them. They were beginning to leave this area for the winter, so I was so pleased that many of them waited until our visit before leaving. Thank you penguins. They were Gentoo penguins and are relatively small. This was one of our favorite experiences.

Provider: Holland America Line

tlmoose

1 review

The Otaway Penguin tour was more interesting... the guide provided more of the area history and identified wildlife, including rheas and upland geese. There were only a small number of penguins, but we were able to observe them on the beach, in the water and in their burrows.

tankengine

1 review

Good, informative guide/escort. Interesting (if bumpy) journey with commentary on fauna and flora en route. Penguin colony itself something of an anti-climax since most had already migrated northwards!

Provider: Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines