Santorini Oia Village Excursion Reviews

Santorini Oia Village  cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Visit Oia, a pretty village of pastel-tinted houses set into the cliffside of Santorini’s highest peak. Look for paths in the village that will guide you to one of the two black-sand volcanic beaches.
Member Image S Gaughan
Oct 2015
Good excursion with the cruise we disembarked on a tender at 7,30 a.m.. You need to get to Oia village early as it has tiny streets and gets very crowded with tourists. Very picturesque and a must see - if you leave the ship and just stay in Fira you will be disappointed. To get back to the ship we recommend walking the donkey trail in Fira to the harbour - it is 20 minutes (smelly) but worth avoiding the queues for the cable car which can take up to an hour.
Read S Gaughan's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image debbieg14
Sep 2015
Out of this world. A dream. I loved it.
Read debbieg14's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Karin1959
Excellent
Read Karin1959's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image jud123
Sep 2015
Shore excursion to Oia. Great day, but EXTREMELY humid. We were sweating bullets. Lots of walking in Oia and Fira. The stop of at the Santos Winery was a waste for me. Wine was NOT to my liking.
Read jud123's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review
Member Image uktog
Jul 2015
We picked up a round trip tour on the docksid where the tenders drop you boat to the port below Oia, bus up to Oia and bus back to Fira for 20 euros. (You were responsible for getting down by cable car or walking back to the tender point). This was a different way to move around the island, the timekeeping and time estimates of the vendors were a little suspect so if you are on tight timescales be careful, it was not an issue for us though.
Read uktog's full Azamara Journey cruise review
Provider: Azamara Club Cruises
Member Image Davidjohn
Jul 2015
This tour had many stops with free time. We were able to have lunch at Thalassia greek restaurant. THIS IS A MUST.
Read Davidjohn's full MSC Musica cruise review
Provider: MSC Cruises
Member Image Therese Desjardins
Jul 2015
We lost a lot of time in the cable car. You should have a better service for handicap for this specific exercise. May be I should have asked for such assistance for my friend, but there were no guide anymore when coming back to the ship.
Read Therese Desjardins's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image cathswart@tiscali.co.za
Jul 2015
A picturesque little village to explore and take wonderful photos.
Read cathswart@tiscali.co.za's full Splendour of the Seas cruise review
Provider: SantoriniExperts
Member Image LauJC
Jun 2015
Tendered in to the coach point - given bottle of water on the coach. The tour guide was very knowledgeable. About 45 mins to Oia where given free time to explore the village. It was exceptionally busy on the day as there were several cruise ships in at the same time but it was a nice to find a bar overlooking the sea with lovely views of the island. Then travelled on bus to Thira/Fera. Similar to Oia with narrow streets, shops and good views. We chose to get the cable car down and were fortunate that there was hardly any queue (other people queued for up to an hour some of which is not in the shade). Other options are to walk or get a donkey ride. We did find that the cruise excursion description was not entirely accurate. There was quite a lot of walking some steep/steps and older guests on the trip struggled in the heat.
Read LauJC's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image discerningedinburgh
Jun 2015
We've done this before and should have known better. You don't get long enough to appreciate Oia, we left the ship at 7am, Oia at 8am and back on the coach at 9.30. It's too rushed so do it on your own or don't do it at all. Oia is beautiful but you could spend half a day there easily. Fira has more than enough to keep you occupied for the day. You're tendered here so having an excursion booked guarantees you an early tender off the ship. The funicular queue in Fira down to the tender point can be over an hour long so get your timing right, we sat in a cafe in sight of the queue and waited till the end was in the small square. Should be 30 minutes max from that point.
Read discerningedinburgh's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image MoniCz
Jun 2015
Had a great guide. Oia was packed. But then again it was prime tourist season.
Read MoniCz's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image kaf1sh
Jun 2015
So pretty. Despite the volume of people, it felt unrushed and leisurely.
Read kaf1sh's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Colonel Vatutin
Jun 2015
Too short and narrated by a guide that appeared to be paid by the word.
Read Colonel Vatutin's full Nieuw Amsterdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image mermamasailsagain
Jun 2015
Best views from the vineyard and Oia.. pleasant tour. Lovely guide
Read mermamasailsagain's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image LMM1801
Jun 2015
I loved Santorini the last time I was there, but decided this time I wanted to see the Hidden Villages as I had been to Oia Village and Fira. Unfortunately I was given the wrong sticker and put on the wrong bus. Our tour guide was terrible, his English was poor ... he was German and English was his 4th language. He did not speak Greek and kept having to ask the bus driver what the names of the islands around Santorini were. He never caught I had a ticket for a different cruise. The Shorex manager caught it later, but too late to move me to the right tour. Bus driver knew more about the island than our guide, and he spoke English. Too bad he didn't do the tour. We went to Oia Village, so crowded and hot. I did go to a nice restaurant and have some Spinach pie and a cappuccino. It was impossible to walk around with all the tour buses unloading hundreds of tourists. Fira was a mob scene as well. I went back on the cable car early to avoid the long lines, which I heard ended up being 1-1/2 hour wait. Santorini was my favorite place on earth. Now I think it has been ruined with too many tourists and commercialism, but it is still beautiful ... if you can go when the cruise ships are not there.
Read LMM1801's full Zuiderdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image hyker1
Jun 2015
Loved Oia, but didn't have enough time there. Guide only gave us like an hour and fifteen minutes. I felt rushed and frustrated that I couldn't take more time to look around. The tour was very interesting, but I'd prefer more time in Oia!
Read hyker1's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image history professor
All was functioning properly. The Guide was very knowledgeable
Read history professor's full Rhapsody of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Sciare
May 2015
We did not enjoy it. Oia is beautiful and we could have spent more time there. Other than that it was boring.
Read Sciare's full Crystal Serenity cruise review
Provider: Crystal Cruises
Member Image jugl11
May 2015
Most beautiful place I've ever seen! Incredible natural beauty plus picturesque architecture. Visited a winery, saw Oia & Fira, had a good lunch followed by gelato. Took cable car down to port.
Read jugl11's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image agathasmum
May 2015
We booked a ship tour as we wanted to be in the first group at Oia so we could take photos before the crowds descended. We were the first tender off, it was rough and it was difficult to get off the tender as it was very rough. We took a bus to Oia. I'm not used to being part of a group of 50! We had a tour guide and a Celebrity employee with us. Isa is spectacular, especially early in the morning. Next up wine-tasting. I wasn't really into wine at 10am, but the winery had a lovely verandah with great views. We were dropped in Fira and given a voucher for the cablecar, and also shown where the path was if we wanted to walk down. The weather wasn't great, chilly, very windy and drizzling. We had lunch and decided to head back. We got on the first cablecar and it was quite a rough ride down, the car being buffeted by the wind. The tender was wild going back too. Shortly after we rode the cablecar they stopped it running due to high winds. We heard that Celebrity directed people to buses, and drove them to an alternative tender port. They also ran tenders to the other tender port for people who walked down.
Read agathasmum's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image newsbob
May 2015
Bus tour of the island including Oia. I was a little disappointed because I expected to see the iconic views I've seen in ads for Greece, showing beautiful white houses extending from hilltop down to the sea. But Oia is up high. But it's definitely picturesque.
Read newsbob's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image garywarry
May 2015
Wine tasting a waste of time but was included in Oia tour. Loved Oia and have been previously and will likely do the same again
Read garywarry's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Member Image kadykong
May 2015
The tour consisted of a bus to the Oia Village which was very charming, I only wished that we would be able to stay in Oia for longer.
Read kadykong's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image Rupz
May 2015
Definitely worth it. Do not miss this excursion. The views are breathtaking and it was highlight of my trip. Volcanic sands, blue sea and sun portrays a beautiful scene!
Read Rupz's full Costa Mediterranea cruise review
Provider: Costa Cruises
Member Image JoeMama#1
Apr 2015
Guide was very good. I think I would have liked a little more info regarding Santorini itself. Efficient and well organized getting on bus and driving to city.
Read JoeMama#1's full Azamara Journey cruise review