Rome (Civitavecchia) St. Peter's Basilica Excursion Reviews

Rome (Civitavecchia) St. Peter's Basilica cruise excursion
Overall Rating
The greatest feat of Renaissance architecture, and constructed in part by Michelangelo himself, the sheer scale of St. Peter's Basilica is nothing short of astounding. This is known to be the burial site of Saint Peter, 91 popes, a Holy Roman Emperor, and more.
Member Image Emma Kay
Mar 2017
I wish I had taken the historical tour instead of the one I did. I didn't realize we would just spend time on our own in St. Peter's Square and then stand in line to get in the Basilica. I had hoped for more.
Read Emma Kay's full Viking Sky cruise review
Provider: Viking Ocean Cruises
Member Image cruiserre
Mar 2017
Good tour of St Peter's
Read cruiserre's full MSC Splendida cruise review
Member Image atbrouss
Dec 2016
We chose to focus on the Vatican during our short stop in Rome. We booked an MSC excursion that gave us an overview of Rome from the bus, then a guided tour of the Vatican Museum, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. The tour was very well-organized, and it provided a great introductory visit to The Eternal City. We felt rushed in the Vatican City, but we saw all the highlights, and my husband and I were both very pleased with the excursion.
Read atbrouss's full MSC Magnifica cruise review
Member Image Danie Booysen
Nov 2016
Huge crowds. Make sure to get there very early. Long ques. Allover experience was great.
Read Danie Booysen's full MSC Splendida cruise review
Member Image RuthPeters
Nov 2016
Beautiful!!! We walked the stops to the top and the view was very impressive! Definitely worth the walk. We made a reservation for a private tour and there were about 8 of us in our group. Definitely worth it.
Read RuthPeters's full Viking Sea cruise review
Provider: ourselves
Member Image Pfeilm
Nov 2016
Same as Sistine Chapel - Skip the Line Vatican Museum with St Peter's, Sistine Chapel and Small Group Upgrade. Tour guide Nina was phenomenal. Tour started as soon as all arrived and moved along well. We were inside by 9:00a and security was a breeze. Nina was informative and entertaining. For a small petite woman she could graciously part the crowd and keep things moving. Four hours flew by. Recommend: yes, both the tour and Nina... Particularly Nina.
Read Pfeilm's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Provider: Viator
Member Image 69Indy
Nov 2016
Tour was okay. A little too fast. We thought we could go back and look at things at our own pace, but the host dropped us off in a gift shop and did not tell us we could not go back in once we left. If I could do it again, I would have left the tour shortly after getting in and looked at everything my own pace.
Read 69Indy's full Riviera cruise review
Provider: Someplace thru our hotel just outside vatican
Member Image Annettetony1
Stunning
Read Annettetony1's full Emerald Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image ensign_bodybag
Oct 2016
Dragged at a brisk pace through Rome, hardly any time to take in the scenery and cue up a good photo.
Read ensign_bodybag's full Zenith cruise review
Provider: Pullmantur
Member Image JWA Edinburgh
Oct 2016
Hectic with people, definitely gained with guidance from our knowledgeable guide
Read JWA Edinburgh's full Celebrity Constellation cruise review
Member Image Waterfronteye
Oct 2016
A wonderful trip. Lucky to see the Pope take Mass.
Read Waterfronteye's full Eurodam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image Jack1776
Oct 2016
The tour of the Basilica was *very* crowded. But the tour guild was very good at showing us the various aspects of the Basilica.
Read Jack1776's full Seven Seas Explorer cruise review
Provider: Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Member Image rosie42
Oct 2016
Manuela was a terrific guide and made our experience wonderful, exciting and very very informing. She was so patient and considerate of our needs - she really loves her work and it shows.
Read rosie42's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Provider: Private tour guide through Viator - Manuela .
Member Image bondo007
Sep 2016
Took the " Empirical Rome" excursion.
Read bondo007's full Harmony of the Seas cruise review
Member Image chanlynng
Sep 2016
This was definitely the best part of this whole excursion. This was the most beautiful place I have EVER been- so impressive. Don't skip out on this one!
Read chanlynng's full Carnival Vista cruise review
Member Image BlanketforMe
Sep 2016
One of the best excursions we have ever been on. We had private access to the Pope's apartments, the private gardens and after a short drive out of Rome we toured the Pope's Private Summer residence. Truly a Once in a Lifetime excursion because this Pope has opened these up to the public for the first time in decades. AMAZING!
Read BlanketforMe's full Celebrity Constellation cruise review
Member Image LowPas1186
Sep 2016
Excellent tour. This location was part of the Best of Rome package.
Read LowPas1186's full Norwegian Spirit cruise review
Provider: Italytours.EU
Member Image Rosethorn40
Sep 2016
Still the same great guide. In-depth tour St Peters Basilica. Does NOT include the Sistine Chapel
Read Rosethorn40's full Royal Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image pbrn55
Sep 2016
Very beautiful but again, very crowded.
Read pbrn55's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Member Image LivADream
Sep 2016
Unfortunately we did this tour two days after the Canonization of Saint Theresa, so there were a lot of tourists in town still. Again, the sites were interesting to see, but the guide was hard to understand, you had to take pictures while you were trying to keep walking, hear the guide and make your way through the crowds. The dress code and picture taking rules at the Sistine Chapel are very strict and adhered to which I can appreciate and respect. Out of 10 hour day of touring we had about 90 minutes to take pictures, eat lunch and look for souvenirs. This was only at Vatican City. No time at the Coliseum for anything other than walking around. As an additional note, the guide coordinator, Paolo, was rude and discourteous. He embarrassed my husband and I in front of the other passengers on the bus and talked condescendingly to many people on the tour. I realize there is a different culture and we need to respect that, but his treatment of us was UNACCEPTABLE! The female guide was very knowledgeable, but again hard to understand and talked very fast. It is very obvious that DCL has high expectations of their staff and hold them accountable if they do not meet the expectations. I know they probably don't have a lot of control over the staff on the port tours, but they do when it comes time to contracting with a company who provides the tours. DCL needs to make sure they let the companies they are contracting with what their expectations are. I would like to think DCL would have considered reprimanding Paolo on this tour and Karim on the Pompeii tour if they were employees of theirs.
Read LivADream's full Disney Magic cruise review
Provider: Disney Cruise Line
Member Image TomBrem
Sep 2016
My feet were hurting by the time our tour came to the St. Peter's Basillica, So I did not go in and waited at the exit for our tour to finish.
Read TomBrem's full Carnival Vista cruise review
Member Image g cooper
Sep 2016
Loved every moment we were there. you could actually take time to sit, listen and pray.
Read g cooper's full Carnival Vista cruise review
Member Image Ship Shape 2016
Aug 2016
Tour moved too quickly, seemed as though we were always rushing. Not enough time in the Vatican. Very crowded as well, because the canonization of Mother Teresa was soon to occur.
Read Ship Shape 2016's full Harmony of the Seas cruise review