Naples Private Tour Excursion Reviews

Naples Private Tour cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Spend the day exploring the western coastline of Italy and beautiful city of Naples at your own pace.
Member Image SamIAmMontreal
Oct 2014

The Amalfie Coast – Sorrento, Positano, and Pompeii!

This time it truly was a private tour… Giovanni, our guide and driver, picked up my husband in a new Mercedes and took us out for a spectacular day that I will never forget. Fellow travellers, I want you to understand, if you can afford to take the shore excursion offered by the ship, then you can pay for a ‘private tour’, as in our case it was even a little cheaper when compared to what the ship was offering!

As Giovanni, grew up and lives in the region, he knew that all the shore excursions would be heading directly to Pompeii in the morning. So he took us to Sorrento, which was beautiful and peaceful on a Sunday morning at 9:00 am. He stopped frequently along the coastline and took many pictures of my husband and I, with breathtaking beauty in the background. During the ride he found out what we were interested in and suggested places that we might want to see. By the way, this coastline is not for the faint of heart! It makes Route #1 along the pacific coast in California look like a drive in the park!

Once in Positano, he gave us time to go down to the beach and walk along the shore. It’s about a 20 minute walk down, but over 45 to come up. In the meantime, he had made lunch reservations for us and an exquisite Italian restaurant, Trattoria La Tagliata, located at the very top of Positano. Not only were the views breathtaking, but this was definitely one of the best meals I have ever had. They grow everything themselves in gardens around the restaurant and the 5 course meal was a totally unforgettable experience. At this point I seriously contemplated not going back to the ship, surrounded by so much beauty!

After lunch we headed towards Pompeii. I don’t know if it was because we had just left one of the most incredibly beautiful spots in the world or that we ate too much, but neither my husband nor I really enjoyed Pompeii. First, they charged us 11 euro each to get in, but then didn’t have any maps. We rented their audio tape, but it didn’t really make much sense for what we were seeing. Although we have a deep appreciation for the history of the site and it was a highlight for so many other fellow passengers, after two hours we decided that we had had enough.

Giovanni got us safely back to the ship on time and when we said goodbye, it was like saying goodbye to an old friend.

Read SamIAmMontreal's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Provider: Joe Banana Limos
Member Image flowery
Oct 2014

If you like art and food, take a walking and private car tour with Vesuvius Vs Pompeii Company. They have outstanding guides- many of whom are experts in their field e.g. art history as well as cultural experts. Fiorella was delightful, smart and fun.

Read flowery's full Celebrity Constellation cruise review
Member Image marybethhuebner
May 2014

Wanted to see both Herculaneum and Pompeii and this was the way we could do both. Went to Heraculenum first and loved the coziness of the place. Our tour guide was very sweet and fun. Learned a lot of the history of the time. Small enough so you could get a fell for the place...esp seeing the bones still there.

Pompeii was next. The place is immense. Glad we had a guide. Between the two places not sure which I would pick to see.

Read marybethhuebner's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Provider: Booked thru the Travel Agency
Member Image olsense1
Oct 2013

Fabrizio Melanaragno was the tour guide and provided us with an amazing tour of the Amalfi coast. Picked up in a Mercedes SUV and we were treated like royalty. A great ride along the coast wonderful lunch at a restaruant he chose and a great day. Saw wonderful scenery and met lots of great people on our stops..Would highly recommend this tour operator.

Read olsense1's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Provider: allarounditaly.net
Member Image MNDutchGirl
Sep 2013

We booked a private tour which took us to Positano, Sorrento and Pompeii. We had 1 1/2 to 2 hours to wander around each place on our own, which was just perfect. Getting to Positano is all along mountainside winding roads. Then the town is built right up into the mountainside. Great to walk around and go down to the beach. Then Sorrento is much larger and you can take an elevator (or walk) down to the water. Pompeii really does require 2 hours to do on your own. Make sure you get a map and have a plan!

Read MNDutchGirl's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Member Image wooinc
Aug 2013

Booked a pizza making course through Viator. Unfortunately the local tour operator neglected to tell Viator and us that the location was closed for summer vacation. Viator did refund us.

Read wooinc's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image sunshinefl221
Jul 2013

Raphael from Limousinrome met us at the port for this day. The vehicle was nice but it was a hot day and he did not provide water (we had brought some with us). After the fact I think he did not follow the itinerary that was presented in advance but we really didn't have any special requests. We made a shopping stop in Sorrento, then we continued down the coast and made a stop in Positano where we could shop (I thought I told Roberto that in general we didn't want to shop, but I did purchase a nice blue jean skirt). We then had lunch at a local restaurant (surrounded by other tables of Carnival guests) and wen t on to Pompeii. By the time we got to Pompeii it was extremely hot (the older people with us did not go in, they sat in the shade) and we only had about 1 1/2 hours there. I asked Raphael at the beginning of the day (and knowing it was going to be hot) if we could reverse the route and he said no it wasn't but I have a feeling that it was only because of the lunch stop.

Read sunshinefl221's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Provider: limousinrome
Member Image Bebbyanne
Jun 2013

We took a private tour with APT Tours arranged with a group from Cruise Critic. This was excellent and highly recommended. We spent 2hrs with our guide at Pompeii, then a lovely drive around the Amalfi Coast with photo stops before stopping at Positano. We were a group of 10 and this small tour allowed us to be dropped right in the village. After this we were taken onto Sorrento for lunch at a lovely restaurant and then into the town for sightseeing and shopping at the market. This again was a highlight.The bus provided free wifi on the way back to Naples and this was greatly appreciated. A wonderful day.

Read Bebbyanne's full Norwegian Spirit cruise review
Provider: APT Tours
Member Image flycgb
Jan 2013
Excellent. Comfortable new Minivan with 6 in it + driver and excellent English speaking guide. Could ask for changes etc and comfort breaks etc. 20 mins from ships to Pompeii, entrance free to EU over 65 (take passport). Our Guide was very good and officially registered. Then part of Amalfi close to Positano before going onto Sorrento Guaranteed to get you back to ship on time but it Archeological buffs - try combining Pompeii (taxi?) and the Archeological museum in Naples where most of it is kept
Read flycgb's full Serenade of the Seas cruise review
Provider: cruisingexcursions.com
Member Image slenmargni
Oct 2012
We ported in Salerno, not Naples (no option in Ports). Met at the pier and visited Pompeii, Sorrento, and the Amalfi Coast, stopping in Positano, Amalfi, and for lunch overlooking the beautiful coastline. We were in a 16 person group and just right for this excursion. We were the first group into the ruins at Pompeii and had a great guide. Lots of riding on this scenic drive but we were able to stop just about anywhere for photos, shopping, potty-breaks, and food.
Read slenmargni's full Serenade of the Seas cruise review
Provider: AP Tours
Member Image sofmoll
Oct 2012
A comment covering all we did that day.... A wonderful day weatherwise and also port-wise. Carnival's tours are so expensive that I'd organised a private tour for 17 people, including a guided tour of Pompeii, Amalfi Coast Drive, visits to and time in Positano and Sorrento. The tour guide was excellent and she took us to all that I'd requested, and gave us a fun and informative day. Returning from Sorrento by ferry to the ship was an enjoyable end to the day. No problem getting back to the ship in time. The tour operators were most professional and fully aware and motivated that we needed to be on board by a certain time. A very good day, and we met some nice people on our tour.
Read sofmoll's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Provider: Carnival Cruise Lines
Member Image melbur
Sep 2012
We booked privately for a trip to Capri and this one was outstanding. We took the ferry over and were able to do all of Capri and Anacapri by private car and walking.
Read melbur's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image Princessa22
Sep 2012
Best tour ever with Diego Sardella (Diego-sardella@hotmail.it) of the Amalfi coast, beautiful drive, best Italian food at Da Costantino in Positano, sorrento. Diego took us to the most beautiful spots, gave us time in each, sang to us until the next location. He is the best and picked us up at the ship in his Mercedes. Best day on the trip. Look him up.
Read Princessa22's full Ruby Princess cruise review
Provider: Viator
Member Image Townie47
Aug 2012
In Naples we also booked a private tour. It was the same company Rome Driving Tours. The vehicle another Mercedes Van. We went first to the Amalfi Coast stopping first in Sorrento. Very nice drive and Sorrento was very pretty with lots of small shops and beautiful water front. Next it was to Positano, again a lovely village with small shops all over and another lovely waterfront. BUT, then it was off to lunch. Up, Up, Up we went on this small twisting road until we were high about Positano at a restaurant that had the most amazing view and then to have great food to go with this view...WOW. This is another place that a tour bus could ever get to, so the private tour was again the place to be. The restaurant was unbelievable. I Don't have my credit card statement yest so I am not sure of the name, I think it was something like Constatines (not sure0. There was a full menu abut also a price fix item. We chose the price fix. It was bruschetta, salad, pizza, ravioli, tiramisu. We also had two litter pictures of white wine and the owner sent over a limoncello for each of us. All for 25 euros each. It was great. Then the afternoon was Pompeii on our own. It was VERY hot upper 90's again (August) but our driver had cold water and umbrellas for the woman to use against the sun. After that it was back to the ship for our next port.
Read Townie47's full Norwegian Spirit cruise review
Provider: Rome Driving Tours
Member Image CruisingSoCalSusan
Aug 2012
Excellent guide/driver. Climbed Mt. Etna. Explored Taormina. Must go back!
Read CruisingSoCalSusan's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Provider: Rome In Limo
Member Image stagetek23
Aug 2012
Rome in Limo is the best company. We used them in Livorno, Rome and Naples. The best value. Cheaper than a ship excursion and small private groups. Very professional!
Read stagetek23's full Norwegian Spirit cruise review
Provider: romeinlimp
Member Image 2PATBOUNCE
Jul 2012
Our driver was Vincenzo ("Don't call me Vinnie!"), and we shared with two other couples, and the mother and aunt of one of our companions. The van was a brand new Mercedes Diesel with ample seating room, and room for my scooter in the back cargo area. We drove up the coast rode first, so as to avoid some of the beach-goers later on. Still it was crowded, but the views were so beautiful we didn't mind, and Vincenzo was great. We got to Sorrento, and were on our own for more than an hour, to wander, have a coffee, shop, whatever.... Sorrento is so beautiful. Lots of tourists, but a classy group! Next was Positano. I felt I had come home when I arrived there. My family is Italian and my grandparents were from Positano. Again, we were left on our own, with a designated meeting place and time. Our guide brought us to a restaurant at the top of the mountain for lunch. The food was very good, and the view also. Next came Pompeii. Don't believe the guides who tell you it is accessible. It only goes so far, and then it is impossible for a wheelchair or a scooter. But we made it to the top of the hill on our own. When we wanted to know about something, we sort of listened in on a tour. We chose to do our own thing rather than concentrate on reading or listening to something or someone. The ruins are fascinating.
Read 2PATBOUNCE's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Provider: AP Tours
Member Image Ocean Diva
Jul 2012
Naples - Hired a private driver, Mariano from pleasantravel.com. He was fabulous and took us Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento. (350 euro for the day for the three of us in a new Mercedes van. Could have saved money by sharing with others but decided to splurge and be flexible with just our family.) Tip - go to Pompeii right when it opens (8:30 am) and miss the heat of the day and all the tourists. You can actually get pictures without tons of people in it. Would not want to do this trip in an large bus. They can't make it to the tiny streets of Positano but make people walk down. A van is perfect.
Read Ocean Diva's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Provider: pleasantravel.com
Member Image slewis7
Jul 2012
We took a fantastic private tour of Capri including the not-to-be-missed Blue Grotto. It was a great experience and worth the splurge.
Read slewis7's full Celebrity Solstice cruise review
Provider: Tours of Capri
Member Image lareefun
Jul 2012
Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. We took a walking tour of Pompeii, drove to Sorrento, stopped to take a photo at a lookout point had lunch, then drove further up the Amalfi Coast, stopped to take a photo at another look out point then drove back to the ship. I was able to take a lot of pictures of the scenery through the bus window along the way. The tour was just OK, the guide informative. I would have liked more time on history and less time for shopping, just me I guess.
Read lareefun's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Provider: Cruising Excursions
Member Image bugsdad
Jun 2012
Took a full day private tour all along the amalfi coast with several stops. Saw Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, Amalfi. Had lunch at our tour guides home. Homemade antipasto, pasta, caprese, wine, and lemon cello then off to Pompeii for another private tour. Best tour of the trip
Read bugsdad's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review