Naples Mt. Vesuvius Excursion Reviews

Naples Mt. Vesuvius cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Explore Naples' legendary Mt. Vesuvius, the only active volcano left in Europe. A bus ride up the side offers a chance to hike a slippery cinder track.
Member Image catharsis_vc
Sep 2014

We were so happy to take the vesuvius and pompeii tour, we had not idea we would be allowed to climb the volcano up the very side of the crater and we did!! Smoke was coming out of volcano and its the most spectacular thing we ever saw. The climb is hard on the legs though, they hurt for a few days afterwards. Also if you have heart or breathing issues this might not be for you. The scenery is spectacular though and Worth the effort! Pompeii was majestic as we expected and nothing less. Guide gave a LOT of info, but honstely we could have spent an entire day in pompeii because there is sooo much to see.

Read catharsis_vc's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image Sue555
Oct 2013

This excursion was wonderful but I have to say.....what the hell happened to Naples. I was there a couple of decades ago and it was nice but now is full of garbage on many streets! Lots of plastic water bottles and garbage strewn on the side of the streets going up the mountain and throughout the bush. Then we went downtown after to Brandy's Pizza and some sidestreets were littered with garbage also and I don't know why!! The city needs to get volunteers to clean up if it is not in the budget for them to have city workers do it.

Read Sue555's full Nieuw Amsterdam cruise review
Provider: Holland America Line
Member Image shapatack0
Oct 2013

The views from the top of Vesuvius were extraordinary. This really is not to be missed, and the walk is not that hard if you are in any kind of reasonable physical shape. If you walk with a cane or similar this is probably not for you.

Read shapatack0's full Legend of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ladyolivia
Jul 2013

Thrilled I was able to get to the top of Vesuvius, hard work at my age 69. Hubby went ahead and I along with two other ladies from the ship set out together. First the 50 year old turned back then the 40 year old stopped, think they were really fed up of my moaning that I had to get to the top! But I did it, it's just a hole in the ground but has good views over Naples.

Read ladyolivia's full Island Escape cruise review
Member Image Rileydog29
Jul 2013

Worth visiting but a strenuous climb. Does not suit less abled. Again, very busy - would be better out of season.

Read Rileydog29's full Thomson Majesty cruise review
Member Image neverlaysup
May 2013

Not enough time for both visits especially with the 1 hour detour to attempt to sell you overpriced crap. Group was too big in Pompeii for the guide to communicate with. I would recommend doing this one on your own and at your own pace.

Read neverlaysup's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Member Image UniCruiser
Apr 2013

Would have taken too long using a public bus or train, so we opted for an excursion. We were happy we did.

Read UniCruiser's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image JLU917
Mar 2013
This portion of the tour was cancelled due to snow on Mt. Vesuvius and NCL didn't tell us until AFTER we boarded the bus. Other excursions that were cancelled due to weather (e.g. Capri) were announced BEFORE departure and passengers were allowed to get refunds or another tour. Of the $149 cost, we were refunded $20 -- outrageous!!
Read JLU917's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image HickoryShampoo
Nov 2012
The hike to the top nearly killed me, but still not to be missed.
Read HickoryShampoo's full Celebrity Equinox cruise review
Member Image Budlight2012
Sep 2012
great trip
Read Budlight2012's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Member Image mellymel66
Sep 2012
Really enjoyed the trip. Unfortunately it was foggy day so the view was not good but enjoyable all the same though not for the fainthearted as the climb is quite tough at times.
Read mellymel66's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image goldilocks40
Aug 2012
Excellent tour with RCI, our guide was brilliant, very engaging and funny and the trip to Mt Versuvius was lovely. The hike up the volcano wasn't as bad as I expected considering it was 35 degrees (took about 45 mins or so) and the view from the top, breathtaking.
Read goldilocks40's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image colbuck
Aug 2012
We took the NCL arranged tour to Vesuvius and Pompeii was good. The guide spoke a terrible English and was not very knowlegdeable but I had my guide books and did not need to listen to her. The hike up the crater was heavier than expected: it is very steep and it was extremely hot. So it took us 1 hour to reach the top instead of the 25 minutes anticipated by my guide book. The view of the crater is impressive and also the view of the gulf of Naples was nice, although it was hazy. We reached Pompeii at 1 pm: it was breezy and not overcrowded so we had an excellent visit. Obvioulsy you can't see Pompeii in 2 hours but we had the opportunity to go inside a house, see the basilica, some shops. By 3.30 pm we were back to the port and had time to visit the central square of Naples, the galleria, via Toledo on our own.
Read colbuck's full Norwegian Spirit cruise review
Member Image kct76
Jul 2012
This was a great tour, I didn't like Vesuvius much as I hate hiking but my husband was all over it! Pompeii on the other hand blew my mind...what an interesting place...everyone should visit sometime in thier life.
Read kct76's full Star Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image TheDream2012**
May 2012
Wow what can I say. It was amazing I've never seen anything like it. Completely took our breath away walking around Pompeii in the morning was surreal lunch at a traditional restaurant then onto Mt Vesuvius even though the weather was really bad this made the trip for me battling the element to get to the top was fantastic. What a wonderful day.
Read TheDream2012**'s full Thomson Dream cruise review