Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Cozumel Scuba - Beginner Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Scuba - Beginner cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Beginner scuba divers can view underwater gardens of coral and visit with schools of unique marine life during their first lesson in Cozumel.
Member Image Indy_Cindy
Mar 2015
A short cab ride and we were ready to begin our classroom instruction. Brief, yet thorough ... then outside again to get suited up. The tanks were a wee bit heavy but not unmanageable. Learning to breathe underwater with the mask & regulator was simple enough. Lots of fish to see and the water was clear enough to make the experience pleasant enough. Plenty of free time afterwards to enjoy snorkeling as well (with equipment they provided> As we got ready to head back to the ship, there were photos to peruse and purchase. It was a pleasantly memorable experience.
Read Indy_Cindy's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image Elizarae
Jan 2015

Scuba for Beginners is truly for beginners. Not the ones that have been scuba diving several times, but never got certified. The scenery was less to be desired. However, the location was very convenient.

Read Elizarae's full Carnival Glory cruise review
Member Image TStowell
Not Rated
Apr 2014

Awesome beginning diver experience. Book these guys and save some cash

Read TStowell's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Blue Magic Divers
Member Image KansasEMT
Not Rated
Mar 2014

We LOVED this! There were five in our group - two couples and a single guy. The instruction didn't take too long, just a quickie safety demo of maybe 10 minutes. We "dove" right from the beach and our dive master gave each of us a quick safety test in shallow water before diving. One of the people in our group didn't want to SCUBA after the shallow water, so she was allowed to float on the surface along with us (she basically snorkeled while we SCUBA'ed). All four of us who did the activity came up all smiles at the end. The area had showers, lockers, an outdoor bar & grill and a cantina cabana. The food was amazing - fresh mahi-mahi for me and a big ole beefy, beanie burrito for him. We were offered massages at pretty reasonable prices, but turned that down since DH isn't really a massage person. We all were given credit for the dive towards PADI certification if we wanted to do that. We were allowed to take our sweet time at the "club" and cab fare was provided to take us back to the pier at our leisure. Our dive master, Enrique, did a fantastic job making sure we were all safe and had a good time. He seemed to enjoy our post-excursion enthusiasm. If you're interested in SCUBA, but not certified, go do this.

Read KansasEMT's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Provider: Norwegian Cruise Line
Member Image bookworm54
Jan 2013

Sons had a fabulous experience with the beginner scuba excursion. Neither had any prior experience and now want to become certified.

Read bookworm54's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Royal Caribbean International
Member Image melanierose327
Aug 2012
Cozumel - The port area in Cozumel is very nice with lots of shops. Be aware that the prices will be lower if you cross the street for souvenir type things. Also, be sure to bargain because they will lower their prices. The food is great. We went on the Beginner's Scuba Excursion. We waited quite a while to get all of the people gathered and then for taxis. This excursion does not use their own bus. They put you in taxis that are included in the price. You sit in a short class about the basics of scuba and then you dive for about 25 minutes from the shore. The dive was great. It was a fake reef I guess you'd say but there were lots of beautiful fish. When you're finished you can stay as long as you like and snorkel. When you're finished they will pay for a taxi to take you back. We had some food there and it was delicious. Also, they have lockers for your bags that are $2.00 to use.
Read melanierose327's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image SusieQ4U
Apr 2012
This particular excursion was priced the same on ship as through third party vendors (per my research, anyway) and included transportation. I give it 5 stars even though I kind of hated scuba diving! It's just not for me. However, the excursion was handled fantastically. The insructors were thorough, patient, and did their best to make me comfortable (like I said, it just wasn't for me). They didn't let my discomfort ruin the excursion for the others in my group, either. It's a nice introduction to scuba and is managed very well by friendly people.
Read SusieQ4U's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image heathawho
Mar 2012
Great staff and equipment.
Read heathawho's full Norwegian Spirit cruise review