Lisbon City Tour Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Lisbon Shore Excursions > City Tour

Discover Lisbon's must-see museums, castles, cathedrals, charming sidewalk cafes, thumping discos and enchantingly original boutiques.

dothon21

1 review

lovely tour seeing all the monuments which I couldnt take photos of so I hope my son did when he went on the hop and off buses

Pig Launcher

Bored stiff.

critics0001

Driver and guide did an excellent job.

Provider: Seabourn Cruise Line

lexmiller

We had one day to experience as much as possible of Lisbon on our Celebrity Cruises day in port, so after much research, I contacted Filipe of Different Portugal Tours, and we are so glad that we did! From our first warm email exchange which made me feel like I had always known him, as if we were old friends, I knew that we were going to experience a fabulous day. Filipe picked us up at the port and our adventure began. There were four of us in my family doing this private tour, our adult daughter having physical challenges. I had told Filipe about this of course in advance, and he told us that we could easily bring her walker and wheelchair with us in the tour van, and he even planned out in advance which walking aid would probably be best for her at each stop. He always got us very near the entrances, and was very helpful in general supporting her needs. Throughout the day as we toured, Filipe kept up a running commentary about cultural and historical facts, as well as interesting friendly conversation. Not only did we visit national highlights but we also went to several cafes sampling local delights. One of our first stops was in Sintra at Cafe a Piriquita where we fell in love with the local pastry called travesseiros - a MUST if you visit, but most surely, Filipe will take you there! Warm "big pillows" of creamy, flaky deliciousness! We also went to a local cheese/wine shop where the shop keeper gave us several samples of cheeses, chorizo, port and liqueurs. We went to the Pena Palace in Sintra, spending nearly two hours there - so beautiful, remarkable, memorable. We also went to Roca Cape, the western most part of continental Europe - scenic, and on this day, extremely windy! There wasn't much time for lunch, with so much to see and so little time, so Filipe stopped at a food truck and got us chorizo calzones, though I don't think they were called calzones - delectable! Food trucks here in the USA are very popular, the new gourmet venues, but I have had nothing like this. The bread is baked fresh daily from scratch, on the truck, and the sausage, wow, so tasty, fresh, no gristle or nasty bits. The bread itself was dense, almost like sourdough but not exactly, crusty on the outside, baked perfectly - rustic, unaffected, just plain delicious! Once he determined that we had no food allergies or restrictions, Felipe always did all of the ordering - he knows his food! We drove through Cascais, saw Guincho Beach. We visited Belem and spent time inside Jeronimos Monastery Cathedral. Our final food stop was Pasteis de Belem - oh, how can one describe these gastronomic jewels? The cafe is in the actual bakery built in the early 1800s by the monks - fascinating to see - you can watch the process of baking - there are labyrinthine rooms, all with beautiful old tile - a great visit, historic, amazing local pastries! Our final stop was at the Discoveries Monument, which is truly breathtaking. It was on the cover of one of my textbooks in grammar school and I definitely never thought that I would ever get to see it in person. Filipe plans the day very well for cruise passengers, going to the furthest destinations first so that in case of traffic, there would never be any stress getting back to the ship on time. For instance, the Discoveries Monument is so close to the port that one could, if one had to, walk back to the ship! Our day in Lisbon with Filipe of Different Portugal was fun, informative, delicious, memorable! We hope that someday he will visit us in Boston and we can return the favor!

oldfella73

1 review

Open top tour bus, main sight's incorporated and audio narrative provided. Enjoyed the wide avenues of the port and tour gave a taste of this beautiful city.

khkate

1 review

A very good guide and we visited the Christ the Redeemer statue first (as 6 other coaches from ship doing tour). Extermely windy but a good place to see the city from. Given a drive around the city which was interesting but as it was drizzly, it restricted views a bit. also stopped at Belem Tower, just for photos and we also had a stop for refreshments at a old bakery/coffee house. The local pastries we hhad were excellent and more-ish.

Provider: Saga Holidays

cruzflyer

The Tram and Coach tour of Lisbon was definitely worth the time. We enjoyed an intimate ride through some of the narrow and hilly streets of Lisbon, as well as complementary port and lemon tart pastry on the tram. Be awfully careful when you use the public restroom at various parks. Our tour guide warned us about professional pickpockets and thieves who pose as tourists, armed with maps, to ask unsuspecting tourists for directions or hang out inside the restrooms. At our stop, I actually saw two suspicious guys casing out the tourists. One guy was following a young mother and her daughter since her large handbag was slung slightly behind her. We did enjoy seeing the Christ the King monument across the river, which resembles the one at Rio de Janeiro. For a panoramic view of Lisbon, be sure to take the Santa Junta Lift for wonderful views of the city and the sea of red-tiled roof tops.

Provider: Cunard Line

Carol Curtis

1 review

Extremely clean and comfortable coaches, experienced tour guides

NJ Fred

1 review

Lisbon needs a deep cleaning. Graffiti and grime abound. Tour guide did a good job.

Bonica Rose

1 review

We left the tour group in order to spend our time climbing on the stone wall. This was wonderful---we walked the entire perimeter of this narrow stone wall encircling the medieval town of Obidos---much more interesting than the souvenir shops!

Provider: Holland America Line

Lynn and John Plant

1 review

dvery pretty area, marred by graffiti. Trolley bus tour was very enjoyable

nanynemo

1 review

Had no idea that Lisbon was so big, very glad we took the ships tour. Our guide was very informative and my husband loved the Sea museum.

Provider: Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

pooldot

1 review

This company surprised us with not only an English speaking driver, but also, an English speaking guide that could not have been any nicer. Our guide was knowledgeable and very attentive to our needs and desires.

MikeB

1 review

A good Flemenco Dancein Malaga which was the substitute for Lisbon. The quide was hopeless. it was very expensive for an afternoon outing. Could have walked off the ship and around the town for free.

Provider: Cunard Line

TEXEAGLE

If the weather had been better and if it were not a national holiday, this would have been perfect. All key sites are in walking distance from the port, and the tour buses get you to other parts of town, plus give you information along the way. Much cheaper than going through Celebrity.

rafinmd

It was my 3rd visit but on previous trips I had gone to the outer villages. This time I took an audio walking tour of the city itself. The setup and distribution of audio players was slow and disorganized but the tour gave an excellent overview of this historic city.

Eileanleft

1 review

Great local guide and insider's itinerary.

bristolrugbyfan

1 review

Lisbon is a definite must see - would particularly recommend a tour to Cascais and/or Sintra

lydia Rew

1 review

We chose to do the Panoramic tour of Lisbon where we visited the Statue of Christ which involved going over the suspension bridge + great views of the estuary. This was followed by a visit to the Monastery and the Belem Tower. Finally we were taken into the town centre and given the choice of staying on the coach & going back to the ship or getting off for some free time and making our own way back. BEWARE.. pickpockets are rife in Lisbon centre and the Police Station was full of cruise passengers who had been robbed

Provider: Royal Caribbean International