Cozumel Helmet Dive Excursion Reviews

Home > Member Reviews > Cozumel Shore Excursions > Helmet Dive

Don a helmet and breathe easily underwater (without even getting your hair wet) as you walk along Cozumel’s sea floor and view pristine coral reefs.

honeychile

This is a delightful taste of diving for those who have never had the opportunity. The helmets are heavy enough to weigh the participants down so that s/he can easily walk on the ocean floor (which ranges from 15-25' in this area). There is a roped in area which not only gives the participants something to hang onto, but also represents the maximum area the participants can roam, given that the air-hoses tether the helmets to a limited area. Within that area, sunken ship elements have been placed and have been there long enough to develop their own ecosystem of grasses, coral, etc. Because they are regularly fed, many fish and other sea creatures have chosen to live in this area and interact with the helmet divers. For me and my family, it was breathtaking to see and touch fish, a sea urchin, a starfish, and even an octopus as part of our underwater tour. Was this "staged"? Certainly! But not in a negative way -- to the contrary, the result was to give a beginner the very best of what diving has to offer and possibly to whet the appetite for more diving experiences.

The photos taken were just amazing and fairly represent our experience. My sister had a dive camera with her (which was readily permitted -- in fact our guide used her camera to shoot photos of us), but we were delighted to purchase the professionally filmed and edited video along with scores of excellent still shots.

It may be useful to note that one of our group decided he couldn't deal with the helmet dive, and so the guides quickly outfitted him with fins and mask and he snorkeled above us, getting a very good experience, too. One of the divers even fed the fish near him so that he could get a close-up view of their beauty.

Because this "dive" experience is particularly good for beginners, there was an abundance of staff members below water with us -- our main guide, two additional divers, and a camera-man -- I felt very safe the entire time knowing that the divers could get me to the surface very quickly if there was some problem. For me, the helmet became invisible as I viewed the gorgeous underwater sea-life. I posted a photo of me saying, "ooooh..." and I believe this was the expression on my face the whole time I was underwater! After the dive, we were invited to continue the fun by swimming or snorkling in the area above the next set of divers, at no additional charge.

We were not pressed at all, but decided to enjoy lunch at Jeanie's (the helmet dive takes place in the water near the deck at the back of the restaurant). I'll write a separate review on that, but it was excellent and we enjoyed watching our videos and pictures while we ate.

Concluding, if you are certified to do deep, open-water dives, then you likely will not choose this activity, which is tailor-made for those who do not dive. The "staging" only consists of limiting the area to the reach of the air-tethers and encouraging sea life to visit the area. However, for anyone who wants to enjoy a charming under-sea activity, I heartily recommend the Helmet Dive.

Provider: Independent Operator

Reinette

1 review

Our excursion was cancelled due to choppy water. The good thing is we got an immediate on-board credit for the entire amount. We went shopping instead.

Cruselover

This was an okay excursion. While it's a cool concept, the area where this excursion happens is right off the rocky shore. You descend off of a dock and the small underwater circuit where you walk is dark and has poor visibility. Dead coral and a fair amount of fish. We had done this type of excursion on at another port on a previous cruise and it was much better because we were taken out in a boat where the visibility was much better. Not recommended.

ranstar

These were submarine scooters. They crawl around about 15 feet underwater. You dive up under a helmet to ride on the scooter. Pretty cool. Divers swim with you and ensure safety and attract fish.

Provider: Independent Operator

ncleroux

1 review

Then in Cozumel we had booked a Sea Trek adventure with RC. It was 5 min from the port and the whole thing lasted 20 min. The helmet is very heavy, you can't look up or down and you can' t see your footing so you have to be careful and hold on to the guide rope. They let us touch some sea creatures which was cool but we didn't get to feed the fish like we thought they mentioned. Then they tried to sell us the pics and video for $95. They didn't even try to give us a deal and so we left empty handed, and they lost a sale. I would have preferred doing Snuba!

pinkdiamonddolly

All around good.

pinkdiamonddolly

Very Cool excursion, the company was good and if my ears could stand it I would do it again.

mrhouston

1 review

It was fun, seeing thousands of fish close up and being able to touch them was great. We just had to learn to hang on to the rope or our feet started drifting away because of the increase in buoyancy. But when you started drifting you couldn't help laughing to death because it was fun and looked so funny. They had plenty of staff scuba divers there to help you and guide you back to the ropes.

75nivek

A group of six, we were put in a cab which took us downtown to Jeannie's Pancake House, right next door to Margaritaville. We were led through the restaurant/jewelry store, to a small beach area with a tiny covered space off to the side where we were given a short orientation about the dive. Then we were shown to the changing room to get ready. Divers helped us down a ladder and put the helmets on our heads as we entered the water. It was like entering a whole new world but it was better than Disney! The fish were everywhere! We followed our guide along a roped trail as we looked around in wonder. We were told that the helmets weight 70lbs, but they felt light as a feather as they kept us on the bottom and we moved around. Breathing was natural, and pressure as we descended was minimal. The hour passed quickly. Afterward we were shown to the restaurant, given free drinks and watched the video of our dive, which we purchased. We very much recommend this excursion.

mick32

1 review

We opted to do this because my son wears glasses so he was able to do this and still see underwater, however at $99 a person (booked with the ship) it was expensive and only lasted about an hour. You met the guide at the terminal port were taken in a taxi about 15 mins away, given a tour of a pearl shop, changed, and then a quick class on how the helmet dive worked, you spent about 25 mins underwater and got to see a couple of different sea animals and fish, while the divers took pictures, afterwards you got a couple of free drinks and could purchase the pictures. From there you could hang out 3 hours and catch the free taxi back to the port, we chose to go on our own and explore the Cozumel shops and catch our own taxi.