Cozumel Dolphin Swim & Encounter Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Dolphin Swim & Encounter cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Cozumel's dolphin programs bring cruisers up close and personal with the affectionate creatures. Enjoy interacting with the dolphins as you become one with their habitat.
Member Image mikeb2016
May 2016
Dolphinarius great. A lot is included for the money. We chose to do the Dolphin swim in Mexico do to the other great reviews The reviews were not as good for the Dolphin shows in Jamaica in my personal opinion. PS. The photos are expensive but all in all its well worth it. PSS. Don't waste your money on the lockers you will have a place to store your personals right next to where you will swim with the Dolphins
Read mikeb2016's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image GreatEscape2015
Apr 2016
Beautiful resort with some excellent dolphin trainers. Interacting with the dolphins was very enjoyable and educational. It was one thing to hear how intelligent dolphins are but another thing to experience it directly. Be prepared to pay some premium Pesos for their photos of your swim. The costs for these extras was price gouging at it's best, or worst.
Read GreatEscape2015's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image AVLTravelers
Apr 2016
The time with the dolphin was about 40 mins. Great experience. Have always wanted to do this. Riding "Helena" across the pool was exciting to say the least. You don't need to rent a $14 locker, just put your shoes, towel & bag in the storage bench next to the water. The facility was very clean and nice. Included lunch buffet & drinks, food was just OK, but I was there to ride a dolphin! They video and take photos of the time you are in the water, you can't have your own "person" do it. The cost for 8 photos was $125, they had other packages available. I would have bought more if I had taken my credit card or more cash. The photos are priceless to me!
Read AVLTravelers's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image jjfanoele
Mar 2016
We booked online prior to our cruise and got a great Black Friday deal. The weather in Cozumel really put a damper on this experience. We had 44 mph wind gusts and about 4 ft waves, so the water conditions were pretty bad. The trainers and dolphins were amazing, a truly once in a lifetime experience. With the water conditions we just got beat up against the fencing in the tanks and it should have been cancelled
Read jjfanoele's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Provider: Dolphin Discovery
Member Image jpantonini
Mar 2016
Nice time with the dolphins. It was all a little disjointed at first, but once we got into our group with the dolphins it was great. Don't rent a locker - you can put your stuff down by the dolphin pool anyway. They put us in groups of 10-12 to meet two dolphins for 45 minutes - it was a nice long time with them including the ride. The pools feel a little small. We had done something similar in the Bahamas years ago and the pool was a lot bigger and you got to be pushed through the water too, which we did not do here - the ride was holding onto the dolphin's fins while it swam on its back. But overall good interaction. Once we were done with the dolphins you can buy photos - that's expensive - $125 for 8 photos. You cannot bring your own camera down so if you want a memory you gotta pay - not crazy about that, but I can also see if would be a problem having lots of people with cameras down in the water. The excursion included all you can eat food and drinks including alcohol - can be a really good deal if you partake of the bar! They also offered snorkeling and kayaking. Kayak riders had to be 15 so our kids missed out, but snorkeling was fun. They have a pretty small area but it's roped off so the larger fish and rays stay in and there are plenty of fish and rays - it worked out to be a nice snorkeling venue. If you have it, bring your own snorkel and mask though, their gear is very basic and guarantees water in the mouth. Food was nothing to write home about, but it all goes down fine with a Corona, tequila shot or margarita anyway.
Read jpantonini's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image errhead1981
Mar 2016
We loved interacting with the dolphins, being able to kiss, touch and ride them and rub their bellies. The buffet was ok, but i thought there would be more of an actual seafood selection. The little place they have for snorkeling was really cool with the stingrays and all of the different types of fish. I limed having our pictures taken with the dolphins too. I would definitely go back some time.
Read errhead1981's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image cougar65
Feb 2016
alexzy was our trainer. he was fun and knowledgeable. he gave us an excellent experience. neither my husband and i can swim and were hesitant, but this proved the best experience for us. the dolphin experience is a little cheaper than the dolphin swim and you dont have to ride on the back of the dolphin. you just get in the water and pet the dolphin, which was fine with us. you are in the water for 40 minutes and so you spend a pretty good amount of time interacting with the dolpins.
Read cougar65's full Carnival Elation cruise review
Member Image irishgal1970
Jan 2016
This was my least favorite excursion. It was advertised as being only waist-deep water, but we did need to swim. I’m not a good swimmer. I enjoyed meeting the dolphins, but the water in the pool was a bit dirty for my taste. The food offered at their buffet was just okay. It was edible, and decent, but nothing special. The margaritas were strong, but not particularly tasty.
Read irishgal1970's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image pthnnm
Jan 2016
We booked this experience on the day after Thanksgiving. "Black Friday" by calling Dolphin Encounter directly. In honor of the day they were offering half price on their experiences. My family and my sister's family booked a total of eight people for the Royal Dolphin Swim. We all had a wonderful time. Chankanaab National Park is a beautiful place, offering many amenities. They provide lockers for free, a free lunch buffet with the Royal swim, a pool, great beaches and some of the best areas for snorkeling. We wish we had more time there.
Read pthnnm's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Algebralovr
Dec 2015
The dolphins reminded me of puppies - in that they seemed happy to play and enjoyed their fish treats.
Read Algebralovr's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image Aturnee
Dec 2015
Fun with the Dolphins but too little time for other activities.
Read Aturnee's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image jp0011
loved it!
Read jp0011's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image Camirol
Dec 2015
The experience of swimming/riding the dolphins at Dolphinaris is amazing! However, be prepared for sticker shock with photos etc. Nothing but the swim and food/drinks is included. Other than the pricing for all the little incidentals, we had a great experience and great time.
Read Camirol's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image Allie67
Dec 2015
Be sure if you book the swim with any of the animals that you are in a place you can hear any announcements. I was sure I had checked my watch when we checked in to make sure we were on the same time but obviously not! I thought we were going to be early for her swim but in fact, we were 15 late! She joined anyway because it would have been another hour before she could join the next one. It was a wonderful experience and she LOVED it!
Read Allie67's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image mujerlinda
Dec 2015
Book the VIP dolphin encounter! It is definitely worth it to get locker/towel, unlimited drinks from your own bartenders, a menu for food instead of a buffet, an infinity pool apart from the crowds...
Read mujerlinda's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image corgichlover
Nov 2015
The ad for this trip is very misleading. The actual swim time with the dolphin is only a few minutes -- not the 40 minutes as listed. Be advised that there is a $14 fee for renting a locker. Have someone with you so they can hold your personal belongings. No video or pictures are allowed but if one goes a big further back and has a nice camera they can take pictures. There is a rip-off where the locals will try to sell you photos on a CD for an exorbitant price -- just say no and start to walk away and they will slowly bring the price down.
Read corgichlover's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image lakemj
Nov 2015
Here's a good tip. Don't buy the photos from the dolphin encounter. They will keep coming down in price. They started off asking for $40 per photo and ultimately offered both CDs for $40.
Read lakemj's full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Member Image shawnwhittaker
Nov 2015
great for the kids. a lot of other things to do at the beach after the dolphins. however, the photos are really expensive, you can't take your own pictures, , and then they push the photos on you, you can bargain them down though. i got the entire cd with all pictures for the amount they told me for a few pictures originally. transportation is cheap which is great. after spending all of the money on the dolphins and pictures
Read shawnwhittaker's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image moonlight777
Nov 2015
Dolphinaris, booked with cruise ship. Best excursion by far. We were met at ship, transported to Dolphinaris where we were taken by a group to the dolphin pool. Some of us swam with the dolphins but the encounter was just as nice. After a great lunch & drinks, we kayaked and used the paddleboards. We did not have to leave at any given time. We toured Cozumel then returned for one more drink before they transported us back to the ship. The photos can seem a bit expensive but they will give you a deal. Staff was very friendly.
Read moonlight777's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Momma 2317
Oct 2015
The actual swim was wonderful. Our trainer was very knowledgeable and patient in working with both the dolphin and us. It was a once in a life time experience. Purchasing a locker was not needed as our valuables were kept in a locker that was near us in the pool. The lunch left something to be desired. The pictures from the experience were expensive. I would have paid the cost just to do nothing but the swim with the dolphins. Great experience.
Read Momma 2317's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image Karin Wisdom
Sep 2015
Enjoyed swimming with the dolphins....staff very accommodating to my 7 grandchildren. 3 of the younger ones were afraid and ended up not participating but the people working with us were very encouraging and patient.
Read Karin Wisdom's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image DerekB
Aug 2015
This was a very well organized tour and we really enjoyed it. Was a lot of fun interacting with the dolphins. Only negative is you cannot bring your own camera and the photos are extremely overpriced. We were thankfully able to haggle them down by nearly half.
Read DerekB's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image MrChocoholic
Aug 2015
Certainly on the expensive side with inedible food (except the watermelon) but who REALLY goes there to eat? Not us. Esparta was the name of our dolphin and in short...I fell in love. I can not remember the name of one bartender, waiter or steward on Carnival Elation but the name of that dolphin will live with me forever. She and I shared a moment that could only be called "magical." Her skin was so smooth and her fins so strong, how could I resist her charms? The slight hint of herring on her breath was a heady perfume to my love-struck nostrils. Oh Esparta, your laugh, your smile, your blowhole farts enchanted me. I shall miss and dream of you for eternity.
Read MrChocoholic's full Carnival Elation cruise review
Member Image CB from Texas
Aug 2015
This was the BEST!! The feet push by the Dolphins was so much fun! Would highly recommend to anyone!!
Read CB from Texas's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Dolphin Discovery
Member Image lhc2266
Jul 2015
Great dolphin experience, and my son loved swimming with the dolphins. We had a bit of a glitch with upgrading my son's package. Carnival came through, and helped me sort it all out in the end.
Read lhc2266's full Carnival Elation cruise review