Cozumel Dolphin Swim & Encounter Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Dolphin Swim & Encounter cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Cozumel's dolphin programs bring cruisers up close and personal with the affectionate creatures. Enjoy interacting with the dolphins as you become one with their habitat.
Member Image Starlicious88
Jul 2016
Cozumel: All Inclusive Dolphin Swim This. Was. An. Amazing. Experience. You get so much time with the dolphins and the opportunity to learn so much. However, if you aren't prepared to spend some money, you probably won't have any photographic evidence. They don't allow cameras in to the excursion, and every interaction with the dolphin is a photo op. Then after the swim, they let you see these awesome photos, knowing full well this is the only tangible memory of this amazing event. Therefore, they charge you an exorbitant amount for photos. I was wrongly told that you can haggle the price down by walking away. However, the lady we had showing us the photos played hardball. The lowest price we were offered was $100 for a DVD and a bunch of pictures of the excursion. That was still too much in my book. I would have paid $40 for a lot less -- the three pictures on a CD, but she wasn't hearing that (they were charging $75 for those three pictures, btw). We made a move to walk away and she called our bluff. So we don't have pictures. Boo. The food here was super gross and not vegetarian friendly. Rice, beans, and chips on an outdoor buffet that was plagued by flies and slow food-fixers. I was seriously behind a man that appeared to be ladling out the beans one at a time. Bland bland bland. There was snorkeling and other activities at the Dolphin place, but my husband was snorkeled out, so we left.
Read Starlicious88's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Cruise-mom
Jun 2016
We did the Royal Swim and it was fantastic. Cozumel port area shopping is the best value on this itinerary.
Read Cruise-mom's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Provider: Dolphin Discovery/Chankanaab
Member Image LLAJH@TEXASBB.COM
Jun 2016
The dolphin encounter was well worth the money but they get you with the price of pictures. Great park with the best snorkeling.
Read LLAJH@TEXASBB.COM's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Provider: Chankanaab Park
Member Image luv2scrapbk
Jun 2016
The dolphin swim and manatee interaction at the Eco-park was ok. Being able to swim with a dolphin was a neat experience but felt like an assembly line of tourists. The dolphins' noses were even white/pink from all the pushing/swimming with tourists every day. The manatee interaction was brief and you couldn't hear what the trainer was saying as he was at one end of the line with a group of 20 other people. The dolphin swim pictures were very expensive $280 for a cd or $40 for one picture. The staff then reduced the cost of the cd to $160 but that is still too expensive. Eco-park itself was nice and had lots to explore/see.
Read luv2scrapbk's full Empress of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Robin101
May 2016
I can't say much specifically about the Dolphin Encounter because I only went along as a chaperone for teens. What I can say is that this was an excellent excursion in as much as the park was phenomenal. There is so much to see and do there which wasn't advertised on the excursion list. It has a stunning beach with chairs etc. included. There is a forest with Mayan ruins, sculptures, and exhibits. They have ziplining (get it over with here for a cheaper price), alligators, and much, much more. A pleasant surprise.
Read Robin101's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image mikeb2016
May 2016
Dolphinarius great. A lot is included for the money. We chose to do the Dolphin swim in Mexico do to the other great reviews The reviews were not as good for the Dolphin shows in Jamaica in my personal opinion. PS. The photos are expensive but all in all its well worth it. PSS. Don't waste your money on the lockers you will have a place to store your personals right next to where you will swim with the Dolphins
Read mikeb2016's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Ded0823
May 2016
Great Dolphin facility and great fun.
Read Ded0823's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image dwormanc
Blast
Read dwormanc's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ougirl69
May 2016
The highlight of our trip was the VIP Dolphin Encounter & Swim at Dolphinaris. It was worth every $$$. Cannot recommend this excursion enough. I wish I could give it 100 stars!
Read ougirl69's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image GreatEscape2015
Apr 2016
Beautiful resort with some excellent dolphin trainers. Interacting with the dolphins was very enjoyable and educational. It was one thing to hear how intelligent dolphins are but another thing to experience it directly. Be prepared to pay some premium Pesos for their photos of your swim. The costs for these extras was price gouging at it's best, or worst.
Read GreatEscape2015's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image AVLTravelers
Apr 2016
The time with the dolphin was about 40 mins. Great experience. Have always wanted to do this. Riding "Helena" across the pool was exciting to say the least. You don't need to rent a $14 locker, just put your shoes, towel & bag in the storage bench next to the water. The facility was very clean and nice. Included lunch buffet & drinks, food was just OK, but I was there to ride a dolphin! They video and take photos of the time you are in the water, you can't have your own "person" do it. The cost for 8 photos was $125, they had other packages available. I would have bought more if I had taken my credit card or more cash. The photos are priceless to me!
Read AVLTravelers's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image jjfanoele
Mar 2016
We booked online prior to our cruise and got a great Black Friday deal. The weather in Cozumel really put a damper on this experience. We had 44 mph wind gusts and about 4 ft waves, so the water conditions were pretty bad. The trainers and dolphins were amazing, a truly once in a lifetime experience. With the water conditions we just got beat up against the fencing in the tanks and it should have been cancelled
Read jjfanoele's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Provider: Dolphin Discovery
Member Image Cruzonaround
Mar 2016
It as a windy day so the beach was closed. The dolphin experience was great but it was over in 45 minutes since the beach was closed. Therefore, I didn't feel like we got a good value. The people selling the photos were also very pushy!
Read Cruzonaround's full Norwegian Jade cruise review
Member Image jpantonini
Mar 2016
Nice time with the dolphins. It was all a little disjointed at first, but once we got into our group with the dolphins it was great. Don't rent a locker - you can put your stuff down by the dolphin pool anyway. They put us in groups of 10-12 to meet two dolphins for 45 minutes - it was a nice long time with them including the ride. The pools feel a little small. We had done something similar in the Bahamas years ago and the pool was a lot bigger and you got to be pushed through the water too, which we did not do here - the ride was holding onto the dolphin's fins while it swam on its back. But overall good interaction. Once we were done with the dolphins you can buy photos - that's expensive - $125 for 8 photos. You cannot bring your own camera down so if you want a memory you gotta pay - not crazy about that, but I can also see if would be a problem having lots of people with cameras down in the water. The excursion included all you can eat food and drinks including alcohol - can be a really good deal if you partake of the bar! They also offered snorkeling and kayaking. Kayak riders had to be 15 so our kids missed out, but snorkeling was fun. They have a pretty small area but it's roped off so the larger fish and rays stay in and there are plenty of fish and rays - it worked out to be a nice snorkeling venue. If you have it, bring your own snorkel and mask though, their gear is very basic and guarantees water in the mouth. Food was nothing to write home about, but it all goes down fine with a Corona, tequila shot or margarita anyway.
Read jpantonini's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image errhead1981
Mar 2016
We loved interacting with the dolphins, being able to kiss, touch and ride them and rub their bellies. The buffet was ok, but i thought there would be more of an actual seafood selection. The little place they have for snorkeling was really cool with the stingrays and all of the different types of fish. I limed having our pictures taken with the dolphins too. I would definitely go back some time.
Read errhead1981's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image cougar65
Feb 2016
alexzy was our trainer. he was fun and knowledgeable. he gave us an excellent experience. neither my husband and i can swim and were hesitant, but this proved the best experience for us. the dolphin experience is a little cheaper than the dolphin swim and you dont have to ride on the back of the dolphin. you just get in the water and pet the dolphin, which was fine with us. you are in the water for 40 minutes and so you spend a pretty good amount of time interacting with the dolpins.
Read cougar65's full Carnival Elation cruise review
Member Image irishgal1970
Jan 2016
This was my least favorite excursion. It was advertised as being only waist-deep water, but we did need to swim. I’m not a good swimmer. I enjoyed meeting the dolphins, but the water in the pool was a bit dirty for my taste. The food offered at their buffet was just okay. It was edible, and decent, but nothing special. The margaritas were strong, but not particularly tasty.
Read irishgal1970's full Celebrity Reflection cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image pthnnm
Jan 2016
We booked this experience on the day after Thanksgiving. "Black Friday" by calling Dolphin Encounter directly. In honor of the day they were offering half price on their experiences. My family and my sister's family booked a total of eight people for the Royal Dolphin Swim. We all had a wonderful time. Chankanaab National Park is a beautiful place, offering many amenities. They provide lockers for free, a free lunch buffet with the Royal swim, a pool, great beaches and some of the best areas for snorkeling. We wish we had more time there.
Read pthnnm's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Algebralovr
Dec 2015
The dolphins reminded me of puppies - in that they seemed happy to play and enjoyed their fish treats.
Read Algebralovr's full Celebrity Silhouette cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image Aturnee
Dec 2015
Fun with the Dolphins but too little time for other activities.
Read Aturnee's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image jp0011
loved it!
Read jp0011's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image Camirol
Dec 2015
The experience of swimming/riding the dolphins at Dolphinaris is amazing! However, be prepared for sticker shock with photos etc. Nothing but the swim and food/drinks is included. Other than the pricing for all the little incidentals, we had a great experience and great time.
Read Camirol's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image Allie67
Dec 2015
Be sure if you book the swim with any of the animals that you are in a place you can hear any announcements. I was sure I had checked my watch when we checked in to make sure we were on the same time but obviously not! I thought we were going to be early for her swim but in fact, we were 15 late! She joined anyway because it would have been another hour before she could join the next one. It was a wonderful experience and she LOVED it!
Read Allie67's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image mujerlinda
Dec 2015
Book the VIP dolphin encounter! It is definitely worth it to get locker/towel, unlimited drinks from your own bartenders, a menu for food instead of a buffet, an infinity pool apart from the crowds...
Read mujerlinda's full Carnival Freedom cruise review
Member Image corgichlover
Nov 2015
The ad for this trip is very misleading. The actual swim time with the dolphin is only a few minutes -- not the 40 minutes as listed. Be advised that there is a $14 fee for renting a locker. Have someone with you so they can hold your personal belongings. No video or pictures are allowed but if one goes a big further back and has a nice camera they can take pictures. There is a rip-off where the locals will try to sell you photos on a CD for an exorbitant price -- just say no and start to walk away and they will slowly bring the price down.
Read corgichlover's full Norwegian Star cruise review