Cozumel Dolphin Swim & Encounter Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Dolphin Swim & Encounter cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Cozumel's dolphin programs bring cruisers up close and personal with the affectionate creatures. Enjoy interacting with the dolphins as you become one with their habitat.
Member Image Sandypl
Nov 2016
Good exprience, but very expensives. They were well organized, but it was annoying to wait for transportation and than wait again to swim with the dolphins. We lost about 1 hour, just waiting around,
Read Sandypl's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Ericinlngbeachny
Nov 2016
it was a great time but expensive. We did the dolphins, Manatee and see lion encounters . It was a full day and it was fun but the photos are an absolute ripoff and are negotiable but we decided against purchasing the pictures
Read Ericinlngbeachny's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Provider: dolphin discovery
Member Image Toni Reams
Oct 2016
Was so much fun! I would have loved to be able to swim with the dolphins interact a lil more . I like how they had a safe snorkel area was fun
Read Toni Reams's full Empress of the Seas cruise review
Member Image alexis.owens1
Oct 2016
Loved the dolphins. I was a little bummed that they do not allow personal cameras, you have to purchase their photos (3 for $75). The food and drinks were great afterwards, and the trainers were very informative.
Read alexis.owens1's full Disney Fantasy cruise review
Provider: Disney Cruise Line
Member Image Phaynes1
Oct 2016
This was at Chankanaab park. Due to the time of day (2:15pm) and package I chose (Royal swim), I was the only participant and had two dolphins all to myself. I appreciated that even though it was only me they didn't try to get me to change to another time which I wouldn't have been able to do because I had to get back to the ship. My package through the tour company even included a free lunch buffet. I live in Florida and have never been that close to a Dolphin. The package included several things such as holding onto the dorsal fins and being towed, they want to make sure each guest has the best experience possible so if one of the activities wasn't as good as it could have been, they did it again with to make sure I got the best experience.
Read Phaynes1's full Empress of the Seas cruise review
Provider: http://cozumel-tours.com
Member Image jefftberg
Oct 2016
On Cozumel we visited the Dolphinarium and swam with Dolphins. The price of the excursion was OK, but be prepared to take out a second mortgage to buy pictures or a video of your encounter. INSIDE TIP: Even if you want a lot of pictures, just tell them you want to buy a few. They will offer you a discount to bus more. Another oddity of this place was the different Dolphin related activities. It was very confusing to figure out exactly what you got to do with the dolphins for a particular price. It seemed like every group in the pools did something different. Just make sure you buck up for whatever package allows you to SWIM WITH / ride the dolphins (as opposed to just petting them). It's worth it. Also included in this package was a buffet lunch, unlimited drinks with & without alcohol, snorkeling in an enclosed area with lots of fish, and kayaking / paddle boarding in open water.
Read jefftberg's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image johndlay
Oct 2016
Fun, but pictures are expensive
Read johndlay's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Pat326
Oct 2016
WONDERFUL experience!!!!! Living in Fl, I have admired dolphins that I have seen in the wild. It was a great experience to be able to interact with these creatures.
Read Pat326's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image picturethemagic
Oct 2016
At Chankanaab. Wonderful time with the dolphins!
Read picturethemagic's full Disney Fantasy cruise review
Provider: Disney Cruise Line
Member Image clay1g
Sep 2016
We got to swim with, pet and feed the dolphins up close in the water with them.
Read clay1g's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image Getting Started
Sep 2016
Even though the ship arrived to this port early, we didn’t get off until around 10:00am. We had contracted the Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab Park directly with the vendor, so upon getting off the ship, we just walked to the taxi station and, after waiting approximately 10 to 15 minutes, hopped on one. The trip to Chankanaab for all six of us was $350 pesos, around U$S 18.00, each way. Before entering the park, we got our wristbands and an orientation about the program and were ready to explore this amazing place. We were running a little bit late, so we only had a chance to walk to the crocodiles’ pond before it was time to meet our dolphin trainer. By the way, the crocodiles were awesome and we even saw them walking and swimming because we tagged along a tour guide who knew how to make them do that. Back to the dolphin encounter, it was an awesome experience. It seemed to last longer that 35 minutes (maybe because the trainer had to say everything in both English and Spanish) but everybody had a chance to pet, shake “hands” and kiss our dolphin. After the dolphin experience, the program included hanging out with some manatees (while the trainer fed them lettuce) but our daughters were getting tired of being in the water and hungry, so we didn’t enjoy this portion of the program as much. Participating in the Dolphin Encounter entitled us to a lunch buffet that was pretty good. Most of the dishes were Mexican but weren’t that spicy and they tasted fresh. After lunch, we went to the beach for a few minutes and then to the sea lions show. The show was very entertaining so we’re glad we stayed for it even though it meant that we had no time to do any shopping or hang out around the port area before getting back on the ship. All in all, this excursion was excellent and buying directly from the vendor/provider was the way to go, since it only cost us $75.00 per adult and both our children were free. The only thing extra, besides the taxi, that we ended up paying was the picture package. It was originally offered for $ 70.00 per person but after doing some negotiating, we got all of our girls’ pictures (about 45 pictures including the hand target, hand shake, and kisses) for $80.00. Word of advise, don’t assume the price they quote you is final and definitely bargain with the sales person if you’re interested in having some fun memories of this experience.
Read Getting Started's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Dolphin Discovery
Member Image Stokes1980
Sep 2016
They charged for absolutely everything! even after spending $150 for the encounter, they charged another $23 per person to get in that wasn't participating in an encounter. Another $5 per person to go out on the dock to watch my 9 year old daughter up close. Photo package upsell to $100 to "make sure we get some good shots". Very disappointing and will never refer anyone to that excursion again.
Read Stokes1980's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Provider: Cruises Only
Member Image bonriki62
Sep 2016
This was the highlight of our shore excursions. It was absolutely amazing to have the opportunity to swim and interact with such an intelligent and expressive animal.
Read bonriki62's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Matlily
Sep 2016
Did the VIP Dolphin swim and encounter fully inclusive with menu and pool area bar etc was very good, needed more time there, its not enough to do everything.
Read Matlily's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image suzierocks
Sep 2016
Highly recommend!! All inclusive. the only down fall was the pictures are super expensive.
Read suzierocks's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image dbsattv
Aug 2016
Loved the dolphin encountered and the snorkeling area. Pictures way to expensive.
Read dbsattv's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image tonysmuzik
Aug 2016
family had a blast having close encounters and riding the dolphins. Close to the pier so easy access from ship.
Read tonysmuzik's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image tinakonomos
Aug 2016
This was definitely an experience that I would go on again! Becky, our dolphin trainer was VERY informative and I loved the interaction with them. The photo prices were rather expensive, I paid $40 for one. However, I was able to purchase online at a much cheaper rate ($45 for 3) when I got home.
Read tinakonomos's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image Nat_03
Aug 2016
The experience was great with the dolphins. The trainers and the dolphins were sweet and it was a great experience. The snorkeling also was a great time, even if it was 10 minutes, it was good to see the underwater life going around. Now my only concern was the booking of the kayaks and paddleboards. My family's experience was not good. We booked with the guy in the kiosk for a 2:30pm kayak session. When they were calling the group to go to the 2:00pm, we asked if we fell into that session and they said to wait there. Mind you, we've been waiting since 12:30. Time passes by and it is almost 3:15pm when we realize the time we had to get on the boat. We asked one of the workers why hasn't our group been picked up to kayak and they stated that they already called the group. So we wasted TWO hours, going to THREE waiting for our kayaking session for them to tell us we missed it. On top of that, we confronted the supervisor and he ended up being the one who signed us up. He stated we WEREN'T THERE. Not only did he call us liars but we paid to get the full experience and we didn't. Rip off and extremely unprofessional.
Read Nat_03's full Carnival Glory cruise review
Awesome ! Awesome! Awesome! We did the royal dolphin swim and it was amazing
Read Mmj326's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image Webmommy
Jul 2016
I wanted to do this for the children and they had such a great time. Be forewarned. If you don't take towels or want your valuables protected, you will pay $20 USD for a locker and two towels (I went without a towel so the kids could have one). The packages for the video and photos are almost all over $200. You cannot use your camera. I was tossed by a wave while snorkeling and my foot was torn open quite badly. They did have first aide there and did their best to help, although the rest of my vacation was overshadowed by this injury. Walking was painful and difficult. First aide on the ship is nonexistent unless you pay $100 to see a doctor. You can't even get a bandaid. I would take a first aide kit if I ever cruise again.
Read Webmommy's full MSC Divina cruise review
Provider: MSC Cruises
Member Image Starlicious88
Jul 2016
Cozumel: All Inclusive Dolphin Swim This. Was. An. Amazing. Experience. You get so much time with the dolphins and the opportunity to learn so much. However, if you aren't prepared to spend some money, you probably won't have any photographic evidence. They don't allow cameras in to the excursion, and every interaction with the dolphin is a photo op. Then after the swim, they let you see these awesome photos, knowing full well this is the only tangible memory of this amazing event. Therefore, they charge you an exorbitant amount for photos. I was wrongly told that you can haggle the price down by walking away. However, the lady we had showing us the photos played hardball. The lowest price we were offered was $100 for a DVD and a bunch of pictures of the excursion. That was still too much in my book. I would have paid $40 for a lot less -- the three pictures on a CD, but she wasn't hearing that (they were charging $75 for those three pictures, btw). We made a move to walk away and she called our bluff. So we don't have pictures. Boo. The food here was super gross and not vegetarian friendly. Rice, beans, and chips on an outdoor buffet that was plagued by flies and slow food-fixers. I was seriously behind a man that appeared to be ladling out the beans one at a time. Bland bland bland. There was snorkeling and other activities at the Dolphin place, but my husband was snorkeled out, so we left.
Read Starlicious88's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Member Image Cruise-mom
Jun 2016
We did the Royal Swim and it was fantastic. Cozumel port area shopping is the best value on this itinerary.
Read Cruise-mom's full Norwegian Getaway cruise review
Provider: Dolphin Discovery/Chankanaab
Member Image LLAJH@TEXASBB.COM
Jun 2016
The dolphin encounter was well worth the money but they get you with the price of pictures. Great park with the best snorkeling.
Read LLAJH@TEXASBB.COM's full Carnival Freedom cruise review