Cozumel Dolphin Swim & Encounter Excursion Reviews

Cozumel Dolphin Swim & Encounter cruise excursion
Overall Rating
Cozumel's dolphin programs bring cruisers up close and personal with the affectionate creatures. Enjoy interacting with the dolphins as you become one with their habitat.
Member Image pookeysmom
Nov 2014

For the Cozumel Dolphin Encounter, we met at the pier and were taken by vans to Chankannab park, a 10 minute drive. It took a while to herd everyone inside & explain everything and then get our life jackets & divide us into small groups, but once we got in the water with the dolphin, it was incredible! I would do it again in a heartbeat! After the dolphin experience, we had 2 hours to enjoy the beach or pool/bar/restaurant, walking trails, sea lion show, etc on site. I wish we had a couple more hours there, it wasn't quite long enough to enjoy everything the park has to offer, but this was my 3rd time to Chankannab, since we usually just jump in a cab & go there for beach & snorkeling. It's a great place to spend a day. They returned us to the ship in 3 shifts: 1pm, 2pm & 3pm. We opted for 3pm, and the guide just made sure we all got into vans & she paid them. Easy & lots of fun!

Read pookeysmom's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image fmstg182
Nov 2014

-Cozumel - We booked the dolphin push, pull, swim with manatee interaction at Chankanaab park. The excursion itself was a lot of fun and enjoyable but the experience at the Chankanaab park was very disappointing and frustrating. The park itself is huge and has a lot to do but once you’re in if you booked an excursion everything costs something and costs a lot. They wouldn't let us bring cameras during our dolphin encounter so they had a photographer follow the group around then afterwards if you want any pictures they charged over $150 per couple for all the pictures or $38 for one lousy 5x7 print. On top of all that they wanted to charge my family a huge entrance fee for the park and charge for chairs, towels and everything else they had to offer. Needless to say I would never go back to this place based on how bad they try and nickel and dime you. After the excursion we walked around the pier and checked out their shopping and got cheap drinks.

Read fmstg182's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image BigTos
Nov 2014

Amazing port!!!!! Glad to be off the ship by then.....Dolphin Encounter worth every single penny!!!! We had bad weather but had an amazing time with the Dolphins. Food and Drinks were great!! Staff WAS AMAZING!!! Will do Cozumel any day and dolphins any day as well.

Read BigTos's full Carnival Elation cruise review
Member Image hjrdh1
Nov 2014

NOT Bad but The pictures are a rip off. You have to negotiate with them, They wanted to charge us 250 for our pictures on a disk. The beach here is very small and was not the cleanest. They do have a nice pool at the location.

Read hjrdh1's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ccubed14
Oct 2014

I did not care for Cozumel. It was dirty and not very pleasurable to me. The excursion was pretty good. You get alot of time with the dolphins. The taxi ride is 5-10 minutes from the port to the Park. After the dolphin encounter, you can get anywhere from 2-4 hours at the park. They have taxis that come every hour, so if you want to stay longer you can. They have a beach you can go to, a botanical gardens, zip line, etc. The park was decent. We didn't stay very long after the dolphin encounter. It was a cloudy day so not the best for enjoying the beach at the park. If you want to see dolphins and encounter them, this is a good tour. But after that, you probably won't stay at the park too long.

Read ccubed14's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image marllie
Oct 2014

Good overall experience. Photos too expensive though.

Read marllie's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Provider: Dolphinaris
Member Image tamraedavis
Aug 2014

We couldn't believe how much time we actually got to spend with our dolphin, Marina. The one thing we didn't like was that no cameras are allowed. Once you are finished, they show you all of the pictures that were taken (over two hundred for our party of 7). The pictures are excellent but VERY expensive. When we started to walk away without buying, they came down in price. We ended up with 205 pictures on 2 CD's and 6 printed images for around $200 which we will split among 3 families. All images and CD's can be copied. We were also able to feed and touch a manatee named Edgar. While in Chankanaab, you can explore the park, snorkel, swim, etc.

Read tamraedavis's full Vision of the Seas cruise review
Member Image KristaH
Aug 2014

The dolphin swim excursion was amazing. The trainer was patient and not in a hurry with us. we spent a long time in the water with the dolphin, each of us getting to kiss,"hold hands" and hug the dolphin. The trainer also got the dolphin to do lots of tricks and swim by several times so we could touch her.
Her was very knowledgable and told us several facts about dolphins throughout the time we were there.
The park where the excursion took place is beautiful. There is a pool, beach, shops and restaurants just to name a bit.

After returning from the excursion at 1:30 we went back on the ship for lunch and then headed out to do some shopping in Cozumel. We took a cab to the recommended shopping area and had a great time. People were friendly and we got some great stuff.

Read KristaH's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Orlandofinfans
Jul 2014

Wish we had more time with the dolphins! Got suckered into buying all the photos for $135.00 - since they were $40 each! Best part was we could get back to the ship when we wanted to. Had a great time in port at Senor Frogs!

Read Orlandofinfans's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Cowboyblondie
Jun 2014

This was a great experience, except for the outrageously priced pictures and not letting you take your own camera in. For the price you pay for the excursion itself, this seemed a bit too much. But as far as the experience itself, Really the highlight of the trip for all three of us. Read my in depth review under Attractions, Dolphinarius, Cozumel on Trip Advisor.

Read Cowboyblondie's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image bslovelace
May 2014

Unorganized but fun.

Read bslovelace's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image MsNudist
Apr 2014

The next day we arrived in Cozumel. When we got to Cozumel, we did the Chankanaab dolphin park, booked off the web site as it was cheaper and we would get there faster than the ships tour. The taxi ride was $11 to it. We arrived about 30 minutes before the folks from the ship and got a great shaded cabana near the lagoon and bar. We brought our own pringles and peanuts and booze, so we only paid for a few cokes to mix with our rum. It was well worth the $ to swim with the dolphins, and as an added treat, we got to swim with the manatees even though we did not sign up for it. The cost to buy the pictures starts at $35 for one picture. The place is great to just enjoy with out the dolphins or manatees. Their beach is quite long, well maintained and they have places to snorkel, a little lagoon area for the kids to do snorkeling bar and food service on the beach as well as a restaurant and a large gift shop. We did see a rainstorm moving in and decided to leave and we got back to the taxi terminal just in time for torrential downpour! Most of the shops closed down so we didn’t have time to shop, but we had been there many times, so really we didn’t need any junk anyways

Read MsNudist's full Carnival Legend cruise review
Member Image aproka
Apr 2014

In Cozumel, we did the $105 excursion, Push, Pull, Swim with the Dolphins at Chankanaab (spelling) and it was also well worth it. Be warned though, photos are $38 for one or 3/$55. You can buy a CD for well over $100 but that was out of my budget. Lunch at Chankanaab was both palatable and reasonable at $10-$15 USD. Shopping in Cozumel was terrible as the locals were rude, pushy and misleading about their wares.

Read aproka's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image TinainGA
Apr 2014

Cozumel had a nice shopping area for the tourists. The locals were friendly. We booked a dolphin excursion and it was a wonderful experience.
The trainer was experienced and gave us a great deal of information about the dolphin. There were about 10 people in our group and we each had individual time to interact with them.
You will need to rent a locker for $4 once you arrive to store your valuables. No camera or jewelry are allowed. They will keep a form of ID until you return the locker key.

Read TinainGA's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Member Image travellanamama
Mar 2014

I went last March and brought my daughters and two friends back again for the Royal Dolphin swim. I just watched this year. It was over $800 for the Royal Dolphin swim. That wasn't bad considering the kids loved it so much. It was a close second place favorite, next to the Grand Cayman Turtle farm. The problem I have with it was that they wouldn't allow me to take any photos and it was $196 additional to buy the photos that they took. So in total it ended up at over $1,000 for probably 45 minutes. I think that is taking 'the man' a bit too much. There should have been no reason for me to not be able to take photos. Seems a LOT on the greedy side if you ask me. That said, the kids loved the dolphins.

Read travellanamama's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image ddbiggs
Mar 2014

Royal Dolphin Swim was amazing. Highly recommend booking it privately and taking a cab there. Buffet lunch that was included was not very good and the line was insane... The time in the water with the dolphins and then getting to visit with the manatees was very neat. Our whole family participated and we all loved it. The prices that they charge for the photos of you doing the encounters though is ridiculous. In our case, the CD with all of our photos was over $300. This, after paying $400 for the excursion and then adding on the Zip Line while we were there, was frustrating.

Read ddbiggs's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Member Image cruise.cat
Mar 2014

While it was fun to interact with the dolphins, this excursion was quite a ripoff. We paid $105 each and then learned we could not take any pictures with the dolphins. We could though buy a CD and a few prints for $177 or pictures at $37.50 each!

Fortunately, we did the excursion in the afternoon. We had more fun shopping in the morning in town.

Read cruise.cat's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Havinsnest
Mar 2014

In November when I told my daughters what I wanted to give them for Christmas Katie immediately sat down with Colton to show him photos and YouTubes of Carnival Ships, Sunshine in particular, and shore excursion ideas.

He saw a dolphin and, remembering a trip to Sea World two summers ago, asked if he could pet a dolphin. She laughed and told him maybe. When she told me what he'd said I decided to make certain it happened. On Christmas morning when he checked his stocking to see what Santa had left there was a photo of the Dolphin Swim and Lunch shore excursion and a note from Santa explaining that Colton would have to wait until Spring Break to get to use his gift. Almost as wonderful as his reaction? Children 5 and under are free with a paying adult. HavinsNest Family Motto? Never pay full price.

Friday in Cozumel was Colton's big day. We got up early, had breakfast and set out for our excursion, again making certain to arrive early at the meeting spot. When Santa booked this excursion it was for Chankanaab National Park but by the time Spring Break arrived it had moved to Dolphinaris. I can't rave enough about this excursion.

The downside was: Went to the Dolphin excursion and two tickets said Dolphin Swim and one said Dolphin Encounter. The guides put me in the Swim since they could see a mistake had been made. They explained to Carnival as I was listening. Should have been $38 difference but when we got back from the Dolphins to discover I had been charged another $129 for the Swim. Never have gotten my refund..

It was very well organized (although they do exit you through their photo sales area) and it was lots of fun. Life jackets are required, an all you can eat buffet lunch is included, the trainers are very knowledgeable (ours was quite passionate about the animals), and the 40 minutes in the water with the dolphins seems much longer. They run a lot of people through this place (I admit to wondering about the dolphins although they seemed in great health and appeared to be enjoying showing off - one of them kept nudging Kristie as though she wanted a "love"). There are 20 dolphins and I think I counted 8 pods of people, each with two dolphins. There is a separate area for Dolphin Encounter people so that is probably where the other 4 dolphins were. They do not allow you to use cameras in the water. Supposedly for the safety of the dolphins. Perhaps so but it certainly helps their bottom line since they sell a lot of photos and videos of their own that way.

We got our wrist bands and headed towards the lockers - rental was just a couple of bucks, as I recall. You can snorkel and swim after your dolphin time but we chose to eat, do a little shopping (had to buy The Boy a shirt and stuffed dolphin, doncha know?), and watch other groups in the water. The excursion is over at a set time - a 3 hour excursion. Taxis take you to the Dolphinaris and pick you up from there arriving about every 5 - 10 minutes so I got the impression you could stay a while longer if you were so inclined. We left just after the 3 hour point and did a little shopping in the terminal area as we wandered back to the ship.

Read Havinsnest's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image rbflei
Mar 2014

You get to pet/kiss the dolphin, get pushed, and hold on to it's flippers. But you also get access to the resort area which is huge. If you pick an early excursion time you can spend longer at the park, because the dolphin excursion only lasts about an hour and a half. There is a fresh water pool, snorkel beach (with snorkel rental fee) and restaurants available. We split early because we wanted to go to shopping but this place was really pretty.

Read rbflei's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image IvanMike
Mar 2014

Cozumel: We picked Dolphinaris to swim with Dolphins and snorkel and other activities. The Dolphins were great, our trainer Anna was very knowledgeable and the Dolphin we had was the mother to some of the others. BEWARE: They are Pancho Villa when it comes to cameras, none are allowed as they will rob you later for the pictures they will sell you. After we were done with the dolphins, we grabbed our snorkel items and went with the group to go snorkel. What they don't tell you is they have a small area about the size of our living room that is where you snorkel, and they make you wear a life vest and you can walk the whole thing, so it isn't deep. Then they pack about 50 people in there and give you 20 minutes. So we declined this and asked if we could snorkel in the kayak/paddle board area, the answer in english and spanish was NO. That area was about twice the size of the snorkel area. So we went to the all you can eat buffet, it was worse than the Marketplace on the boat. We did buy the pictures and video, (they ask $250 but you can cut it almost in half) Later on the boat, we put in our CD for the pictures and it didn't work. It took me a few days and some calls all over Mexico, but I finally got the pictures. We heard later that the Chaakanab is the best excursion here in Cozumel. Anything would have been.

Read IvanMike's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image leah779
Feb 2014

Probably the best part of the whole trip. We went to see Dolphins, even had the chance to go for a swim with one! He swam around us, and as we grabbed his flippers he swam with us on his belly while he was on his back. It was pretty awesome. The water was right from the sea. The dolphins seemed happy, and same with the staff. They were very intentive on the dolphins, as well as the visitors. An extremely safe environment. The grounds were very clean. I did find the pictures quite expensive if you wanted to buy some, and they didnt allow you to take your own pictures if you were down with the dolphins. Im sure if you were up on deck you could have. The meal was buffet style, but very good (better then the cruise ship) and the drinks were all inclusive.

As for Cozumel itself, we didn't venture too far, but where we were seemed safe during the time we were there. There was lots of shopping available, and the sales people were not pushy like they were in Costa Maya. I found the prices were a lot less expensive here also for gifts and souvenirs.

Read leah779's full Norwegian Epic cruise review
Member Image blucas628
Feb 2014

The dolphin encounter was great. My 7 year old absolutely loved it. Everything is taken care of for you. transfers, lunch, drinks, etc. This is a MUST do.

Read blucas628's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Member Image LyndsayB
Feb 2014

I enjoyed this excursion but felt it could have been better planned. We were in a group of Spanish and English speaking languages and the constant shift from language to language was very hard to understand. Overall enjoyed the dolphin and pictures.

Read LyndsayB's full Carnival Ecstasy cruise review
Member Image LadyD1121
Jan 2014

This was AMAZING!!! We actually swam with dolphins. Did tricks with them and there is a camera man taking pictures. They do not allow cameras on the tour. You can have someone who is just watching (cost $49) to take pictures of you. We were supposed to swim with manatee, but didn't. I think you had to pay extra. After our swim we are guided to the picture gallery and gift shop. WARNING!!! The pictures are $39 PER Sheet!! You will get a better deal by just buying the cd if you want Any pictures. And then prints are only $6 per sheet. I purchased the cd and 1 print and the dolphin bag ($ goes to save the dolphins) the bag is soo cheap that it ripped like 5 minutes after I had it. Then we were off to watch the Sea Lion Show. Cute show. Since this was our 1st time in Cozemel we wanted to do some shopping also so we left. But you could literally spend the day there. There's a pool, a beach, a clubhouse and much more..... I didn't go all of the way down.
Shuttle returned us back to port and we took an $8 taxi to downtown to shop. Lots and lots of jewelry available. Free tequila shots in some stores. Make sure you stop at Viva and get the $20 survivors bag it includes: straw hat, Mexican blanket, bottle of Tequila, maracas and 2 shot glasses!!! Lots of stores offer FREE things just to get you in to look. I ended up buying a Mexican opal necklace which they started at $800 but I got for $150 and and Amethyst Slide started at $120 bought for $60. Merchants are willing to deal more if you have cash. I think I could have gotten my necklace a little bit cheaper.... The Margaritaville is a water park. Free snorkeling and all kinds of stuff!! You need both your passport/DL & Birth certificate and Sea Pass to get back on Board. And once again you can bring on bottle water, which is $1.50 in the pharmacy. (Must have change... The store only had $20s and the taxi drivers say they don't have change. ) also all purchases are in Pesos on the price signs and receipts. Every place has a different conversion rate based in their bank. You can get change back in pesos if wanted.

Read LadyD1121's full Brilliance of the Seas cruise review
Member Image karenmjones75
Jan 2014

WOW this was an amazing excursion. We got to swim and play with the dolphins. Our wait time to get in and set up was not very long at all even with there being a lot of people. The trainers and staff are super friendly and the dolphins make you want to take them home with you. Couldn't get enough and recommend to everyone to do this.

Read karenmjones75's full Norwegian Jewel cruise review
Member Image HuckleberryVik
Jan 2014

We booked the Dolphin encounter - push, pull and swim through the ship. There was a little confusion when we got off the ship as to when our excursion started - there was no sign for it at first and then we wondered if it started at ship's time or Cozumel time.

We had a little time before the excursion to do some shopping. I liked Cozumel. It's touristy, but it's clean and it's beautiful. I felt much safer in Cozumel than I did in Cayman.

We met our tour guide who took us to our vans. There were 12 of us in our group. It was about a 20 minute ride to Chankaanab. There, we were given instructions, shown to the lockers and bathroom and met our photographer. Cameras are not allowed near the dolphins.

There are about 8-10 areas where groups can swim with the dolphins. Our group was in the big central area. Guests have to stand on a grate at the edge of the water for most of the experience. The grate isn't comfortable, but it's not bad either. The water was up to our chests and it was choppy - you definitely wanted to hold on to the fence behind you most of the time. Once in the water, we got instructions about how to hold our hands to show the dolphins what to do. Our experience included a kiss on the mouth and the cheek, holding our hand up to have the dolphin touch it, shaking fins with the dolphin, swimming out and having the dolphin pull us back in by its pectoral fins and having the dolphin push us on a boogie board.

Our dolphin guide was kind of rude. We had a couple people in our group who were nervous about swimming and he had no patience for them. He kind of did the whole experience as though it was a checklist...who has done this, who hasn't done this, boom, boom, boom. Finally another guide came out and helped the nervous few swim out and then everyone was able to have a full experience.

Included in our excursion was a buffet lunch - it was meh. Typical mass produced food for a buffet. I wouldn't say it was authentic Mexican, but it wasn't bad.

We also had time to explore the area and we all got to participate in a tequila tasting - yum!

This was definitely a must do for me. And I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. They do get you on the pictures though - $37 for a single picture and over $100 for a cd, flash drive and 1 picture.

Read HuckleberryVik's full Carnival Legend cruise review
Member Image mrseaves
Jan 2014

we booked the dolphin swim & ride with unlimited food and drink. this excursion took you to the dolphinaris park, not chankanaab park. we were aware of this because we read the details of the excursion, however there was a couple of ladies who were surprised when we pulled up because they were expecting the other place, which is where their friends went for the day. ooops.
swimming with the dolphins was absolutely an amazing bucket list experience for sure. right afterwards, they take you to see the pictures... this is where they try and get you. they wanted almost $400 for all pictures of us and the DVD. we ended up getting all of it for $232 and they threw in 3 prints as well. but they try and make you think that you're the only one there whose getting this kind of deal. it was pretty humorous. the food was ok and the drinks were terrible. I only had one and I didn't even finish it. the drinks onboard were SO MUCH BETTER!!!!

Read mrseaves's full Carnival Sunshine cruise review
Member Image emmyleemarie123
Dec 2013

This was our favorite day and port of all. Cozumel was much more developed than any of the other ports. The dolphin swim and encounter was an amazing experience! The food and alcohol was all inclusive and you could also do snorkeling, kayaking and paddle boarding. You could easily make a full day of this excursion. The port was also very safe. You didn't have to constantly worry about your safety here, which was a nice relief after some of the other ports.

Read emmyleemarie123's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image anyuta64
Dec 2013

Today I had booked a swim with dolphins activity which included a day in a park where there was also snorkling. We happened to be among the first off the ship, and immediately caught a taxi for Chankanaab park. $12 for the both of us. at the park we were also among the first, and I wish I had booked my dolphin swim for an earlier time, but I didn’t want to take the chance of being late (since this was not through the cruise line). so we found a beach area with loungers, dropped off our stuff, and went swimming. the water was warm and clear, and we were almost immediately surrounded by beautiful fish. I quickly ran back to get my snorkel gear and camera, and started shooting pictures. I am, er… naturally bouant, so diving down to get better shots of certain things was a challenge, but I still enjoyed swimming around taking photos.

At the assigned time we went to the dolphin swim area, signed in. By now there were many groups from multiple cruise ships (there were at least 6 ships in port, including one of the giants from Royal Caribbean). Our small group (6 people) was somewhat lost in the shuffle. but we got our own “pool” area just for our group, so at that point it didn’t matter.

Our dolphin, Noel, was of course amazing, and we got to interact with her in various ways for around an hour or more. There was no rush to get us out. I can’t begin to describe the experience, other than to say it was everything one imagines and more. the only thing that would have made it better is if I didn’t have to wear a life vest, and if we could just freely swim with her in the water. My husband was initially grumpy (after all, I’d pulled him away from the sun), but once in the water with Noel, he regained his usual cheery mood, and by the end he told me it was the best part of the cruise. After getting out of the water we were ushered to a very crowded area where we were shown our photos on computer screens and were offered the opportunity to buy them. I’d have liked to leave that and come back later, on our way out of the park, to make that decision, but of course they wouldn’t keep them for that long.. so I had to decide then and there whether to buy individual photos at $35 a pop (we’d want at least two.. one for each of us),

After the dolphin swim, we went back to our things on the beach (I had taken any valuables with us, so was not afraid of leaving things just lying there). by now the beach was extremely crowded, so it’s good we had our loungers “reserved”. Stan sat in soaking up the sun, and I went snorkeling. once again, amazing. The reef itself is visibly dying/dead. but the number of fish is still incredible. I’m sure it doesn’t compare to what I’d have seen in Roatan, but since I missed that, I made the most of this chance. At some point my camera jammed up, and since I couldn’t clear it underwater (by taking out and replacing the battery), I had to stop taking pictures, but I continued to take in the sights “in person”. I would have gladly stayed here longer. I spent a short time walking around the park, but didn’t see even a fraction of what was there, and we left beach sooner than I’d have liked (but probably actually good timing). I still had some time to venture out for shopping in town. fortunately, our ship was docked at the pier which was right in the middle of “town” (there are other piers further away), so I could easily walk to the shopping area. On the one hand, Cozumel is very Americanized.. you didn’t really feel any poverty, or “local” flavor. on the other hand, the sales people would jump out at you at every step trying to entice you to come in to buy THEIR version of the same things. I did make some purchases but mostly a block away from the main drag, where it seems no one goes! I spent more than I meant to, but also got at least some of the specific items I had planned on getting. Returned VERY tired to the ship.

Read anyuta64's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image life_dizzy
Dec 2013

Dolphin swim/encounter was a lot of fun. It's something we've always wanted to do, and my husband and I enjoyed it a lot. The only negative thing was that the organization getting TO the dolphin site was horrible. There were people from other ships trying to tell everyone else the wrong information, and it got pretty chaotic. But once we got to the Dolphin place, it was pretty organized and mostly laid back. Lots of fun, and we got a great (expensive) pics with the dolphin!

Read life_dizzy's full Carnival Breeze cruise review
Member Image Koutrodp
Nov 2013

We booked Chankanaab push, pull and swim with lunch and sea-lion show. I was amazing! The park was beautiful! The dolphin swim was in an enclosure in the actual sea! It was amazing and so much fun. Our dolphin was Padamay and she was wonderful! The food was ok and you could have unlimited sodas with your lunch. The only downfall of this excursion was the price of the photos! They take a bunch of photos and when you see them you will want to buy them, but they are 40.00 bucks a piece!!!! The pictures are way over priced!

Read Koutrodp's full Carnival Elation cruise review
Member Image jkaba
Nov 2013

Our daughter and her boyfriend was reserved for the 11 am Royal Swim with the Dolphins, but when we went to check them in at the Dolphinarium, there was a huge line of people waiting to get signed up. But rather than prioritizing the people that had already booked appointments, they went in line, and I told the lady several times that our group was going to be late for the 11 am RESERVED appt, but she did not seem to care. When we did get our turn in line, we were about 10 minutes late, so they just pushed us into the next group scheduled at 10:20. They seem to not have any clue on how to prioritize their customers to insure that everyone has a good experience. Once our daughter participated in the Dophin Swim, she said it went much better, and she enjoyed the experience. Pictures there also seemed to be a money making gimmick. They wanted $37 a picture, or you could do a package for several hundred dollars. I wanted to purchase 2 pictures and offered to pay $50, but they would not deal! It seems to me that since the photographer is already taking bunches of pictures, it would be to their advantage to sell people the CD with all their images for $50-$75, and I would bet that about 90% of the people would take advantage of it, and not just the 20-30% of people that end up paying the inflated prices. It's just common sense!

Read jkaba's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image cebl
Nov 2013

We split our group between the dolphin encounter for the youngest child and dad, and the rest doing the dolphin push, pull, and swim, with grandparents watching. We loved that, but they wouldn't let grandparents take photos, and the photos they sell you are crazy expensive. That is my only complaint. We enjoyed the sea lion show, beach, pool, and some snorkled. We didn't even get to the tequila tasting, crocodiles, or Mayan exhibit! Lots to do.

Read cebl's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image jeyb
Nov 2013

Loved the Dolphin push encounter. We were in the water far longer than the excursion indicates. The staff were friendly and very helpful. I have wanted to do this for years and found the price extremely cheap in comparison to other islands….Bahamas price was @$240 per person
It was a very hot day with great weather. The price for the pictures was quite pricey but worth it to have them. I would do this excursion again and pass not he pictures for a second time but you have to get them the first visit. We stayed in the park and enjoyed the beach afterwards.
I wold recommend this to anyone interested in dolphins. Nice park, decent food and other activities you can go to during your stay at the park….we didn't get to them but I would try to get to them another time. I would return to Cozumel and do this excursion again.

Read jeyb's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ytownwolf
Oct 2013

swimming with dolphins was on my bucket list and this one did not disappoint. It lasted for more than an hour and the contact with the dolphins was extensive. What made it even better is that we were also able to swim with and feed the manatees. Loved every minute of it. Be aware the people working the shops along the docks are going to try to hustle you. As much as I wanted to see the Mayan ruins it was 4 hours inland and I did not feel comfortable going that far away, not in Mexico.

Read ytownwolf's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Provider: at the location
Member Image CharlottesMama
Oct 2013

We walked about 15 minutes to get in a small taxi van to go to Chankanaab National Park, home of Dolphin Discovery, which was about 15-20 minute drive. The port area had lots of shops and restaurants, but we did not go to any - we just went straight to the park. Chankanaab National Park is absolutely gorgeous. The dolphin encounter was very fun. We had done one in Grand Cayman in 2012, but that was in a salt water pool - and I enjoyed being in the ocean more (the dolphins are in an area of the ocean off the beach and that is sectioned off in it's own area). The waves were a bit hard to take against the wall when in the water (with life jackets on of course) waiting for our turns with the dolphins as it was raining and overcast a bit, but that bothered our daughter more since she is younger and smaller, so we held on to her tightly. The dolphin excursion was super fun and our daughter loved being able to swim with them as she had been too young when we did it in Cayman in 2012, and could only kiss them and hold their fins that time. After the dolphin encounter, we were free to roam the park until it was time to get the last van back to the port (a couple more hours - or we could have left right after, but we decided to stay and explore). The park was beautiful with tons of gardens, a beautiful beach, a sea lion show and an alligator area. We also could have swam in a pool or a lagoon, and the lagoon looked great.

Read CharlottesMama's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Member Image polkadots
Jun 2013

Cozumel was my favorite port of call by far. We booked the excursion for the dolphin/manatee encounter at Chankanaab. The dolphins were amazing, and the manatee was neat. They have a free sea lion show that was an adorable hoot. Chankanaab has a very nice beach area with plenty of shady spots to relax. It was very low-stress getting to/from the area - the excursion arranged taxis to take us all to the facility, and whenever we wanted to leave we simply had to report to a certain place at the entrance and they would arrange a taxi to take us back to the port at no additional cost to us - it was included in the excursion fee.

I wish we had owned and brought a waterproof camera with us to document the amazing experiences we had with the dolphins and manatee. The pictures the Chankanaab staff took were very cool, but insanely expensive. I would absolutely do this excursion again, would recommend it to anyone ... and would be sure to bring my own waterproof camera for next time to save money on pictures.

Read polkadots's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image dchi72
Jun 2013

Definitely a highlight of the trip

Read dchi72's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image Suchan
May 2013

We went on the Dolphin Swim and Push-Pull, which was our favorite excursion of the entire cruise! After some training, when we received information on how to touch dolphins, we spent 40 minutes interacting with Danny, our two-year-old dolphin. He "lay" in our arms like a baby, "kissed" us, swam us as we held onto his fins, and pushed us on a boogie board.

This was by far the best value of all the excursions, as it not only included plenty of time with the dolphin but also the transportation and admission to Chankanaab Park, a beautiful beach park where you can also snorkel, kayak, tour gardens, watch sea lions, or just relax with a margarita.

ADVICE: Take the earliest excursion and enjoy the rest of the day at this beautiful park. Lockers are free and will keep your valuables and a change of clothing.

Read Suchan's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image fsuwx
Apr 2013
The dolphins are amazing, but watch your belongings and put everything in the locker they provide! After the shops in Falmouth and the Cozumel pier, there's really no need to take a cab into town. There's a Senor Frogs there and plenty of shops. We bought 2 hand-painted magnets for $5 from a guy who painted them while we watched. Find this guy, his stuff is beautiful!!
Read fsuwx's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Frugalman
Apr 2013
Grandkids and all had an unforgettable time. This activity is not to be missed.
Read Frugalman's full Disney Fantasy cruise review
Member Image Gobalina
Mar 2013
Great experience, Once in a life time!
Read Gobalina's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Member Image lrenee212
Mar 2013
The dolphin discovery excursion on Cozumel is highly recommended! Staff is bilingual friendly and well informed. We did the "push and pull" dolphin experience. I had been to a dolphin swim in Orlando at a theme park, but this was much more than that. This was incredible. The park and natural setting, staff and beach, snorkeling, swimming etc. Highly recommended. Snorkeling was fantastic. Recommend planning about 3 hours to enjoy the park, or more.
Read lrenee212's full Disney Wonder cruise review
Member Image tntravelgirl
Mar 2013
Went to park kinda place.. great restaurant, huge pools and dolphins... it was a nice day!!!
Read tntravelgirl's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image SAFloresLyon
Mar 2013

The girls really had a great time! A very memorable experience for them both.

Read SAFloresLyon's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image whoop1995
Feb 2013
We did the swim with Dolphins at Dolphinarus. The place was nice, but there is absolutely nothing for observers to do other than watch. My 5 yr old who did not want to participate in the dolphin encounter was bored. Hindsight, I would have picked the Dolphin Discovery at Chakanaab park. They have a beach where observers can hang out.
Read whoop1995's full Disney Fantasy cruise review
Member Image gubby4
Feb 2013
We went Chankanaab Park and did the Dolphin Swim Adventure. This park and it's facilities were amazing! We had about an hour wait before our excursion and we were able to swim in the pool which also has a swim up bar. Once you book your excursion, you can use all of the parks facilities. The Dolphin Adventure was a lot of fun. We were able to swim with them, pet them and interact for a little over an hour. The only distraction was the amount of pictures that were being taken so that you could buy the package which was approx. 200dollars. We only bought one picture. We also had time to shop which was fun and had lunch at Senoir Frogs which was so much fun as well.
Read gubby4's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image Alamoguy
Feb 2013
This was absolutely incredible. First time I can remember where the 13 year old boy couldn't get the smile off his face, nor could we as adults. Definitely worth the extra money to go with the full swim and not just doing the encounter. I think the price difference was only 20-30 dollars per person. Trust me, spend the extra pennies for memories you will never forget. The pictures and DVD are quite spendy, but can be bickered with a bit. We dropped around $200 to get all the pictures and the DVD, but we had done our ressearch and were prepared to pay this much. AT the end of the day, I don't know how you could narrow your pictures down to just a couple. The food was GREAT (they give you a lunch with the meal), and the margaritas were awesome! If you aren't prepared for it, the aggressiveness of the vendors in the shops at the port could catch you off guard! LOL. Had a wonderful day. Only thing keeping this from being a 5+ is we all were left wishing we had more time with the dolphins.....40 minutes goes by wayyyyyy too quick!
Read Alamoguy's full Carnival Imagination cruise review
Member Image Manatee2013
Feb 2013
I loved the Dolphin "Push, Pull & Swim" at Chankanaab. We booked via the cruise line after researching doing it separately, as it was essentially the same price and we like the added security of knowing it was linked to the cruise. The experince was great, with plenty of interaction with the dolphins in only a group of 10 people. I loved petting the manatees, also. Even more, though, we loved the park itself, as the beach was beautiful The also have a pool, kid friendly beach area, sea lion show and botanical gardens. We walked down to the left to a less crowded restaurant and the beach had plenty of free beach chairs. The dive shacks nearby had reasonable (and sometimes negotiable) snorkel prices, and my husband got a great price on a spur-of-the-moment dive. He went out alone with a guide twice and got pictures for the same price as the cruise line sponsored excursion. We wandered into a nice resort back near the port (El Cid) and enjoyed drinks overlooking the ships docked nearby and then haggled with a vendor for a little Valentine's Day bobble for me :) Cozumel was great!
Read Manatee2013's full Jewel of the Seas cruise review
Member Image irieman21
Feb 2013
We had plenty of time with the dolphins and the staff were knowledgeable and helpful. We were prepared for the high price of the photos but thanks to this site, we were able to bargain a better deal. Highly recommend the earliest session as we had plenty of time in the town for shopping and strolling. The location is 3 blocks from downtown and they offer free shuttle back to the pier anytime of day.
Read irieman21's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Nascar21n8
Feb 2013

was fn kids loved it i watched they had a blast

Read Nascar21n8's full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Member Image iwanttoretiretocruising
Jan 2013
Beautiful island, nice people, Dolphinarius is the only way to do the dolphin encounter, don't even bother with the other choice.
Read iwanttoretiretocruising's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image drbrainiac
This was SO MUCH FUN!
Read drbrainiac's full Crown Princess cruise review
Provider: Princess Cruises
Member Image crooksu
Jan 2013
Awesome experience to meet and swim with dolphins. We also swam with a couple of manatees. We were confused about the difference of shore time and ship time so we missed the seal show. I will say the the lunch was a hot dog...so after ship food it was not even close to anything we would have preferred. Skip food in the future. We worried a little about the captivity of the manatees, but know they live longer in captivity. They might have had larger area for the captive animals. We purchased the photo CD but it was amazingly expensive, although we would not have gotten the wonderful photos without it.
Read crooksu's full Carnival Liberty cruise review
Member Image JMcgo1979
Dec 2012
Once in a lifetime experience! The dolphins are amazing and are extremely smart. Swimming with them is a real treat.
Read JMcgo1979's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image aloesch
Dec 2012
We booked the Dolphin Swim Adventure and picked the 10am time. We were instructed to arrive at the park 30 minutes early to checkin for our swim. We took a cab from the port and arrived at 9:30am. We were told it was too early to checkin but that we should go put everything in a locker except our swimsuits and come back to the desk at 9:50am. When we went back to checkin, we were given wrist bands and instructed to wait "over there'. We stood in the general direction we were pointed and waited about 15 minutes before a trainer came over to brief us on the different interactions we would have with the dolphins. In the middle of the instructions, he was made to move the group of about 35 of us farther down the boardwalk to accommodate another group.When the instructions were finished we were divided into groups of 10-12 and given lifejackets and told to wait for our photographer to come join us and lead us out to the pen we would be in. The pier goes out in a big square from the boardwalk. He took us out one side and waited about 5 minutes before deciding we needed to walk all the way around to the other side. We were finally assigned to a pen with 2 dolphins. There was a trainer in the water and one up on the pier. The second we were in the water, they randomly picked a person (my husband) and started rapidly giving him instructions to perform three of the six interactions we were supposed to get to do. He quickly kissed the dolphin, gave it a handshake, and had it reach up to touch his outstretched hand. As soon as he was finished, they moved on to the next person in line. It was so quick and manufactured, it was hardly enjoyable at all. We were standing on a metal grate in waist deep water, The grate was very uncomfortable to stand on barefoot and there were very strong winds while we were there making for strong waves. So it was very challenging to maintain your position on the grate with the waves constantly pushing out away, We quickly worked our way through the first 3 of the behaviors and moved on to getting a belly ride from the dolphins and having the dolphins push you while holding on to a boogie board, About 3 people managed to do these before the dolphins quit cooperating. They decided to move us to another pen so we all exited the water and stood around for several minutes while they figured out what to do with us. They ended up moving us down several pens to an area with just one dolphin. They had us only enter the water one at a time and do the 2 behaviors. We only got through one person when the dolphin attempted to bite the guy in the water. They immediately had him get out of the water and spent a few minutes deciding what to do with us next. We were eventually assigned to a 3rd pen where we completed the different interactions. As soon as we finished, they walked us back to the boardwalk and into the store to look at our pictures. We were dripping wet and wearing only our swimsuits. They instructed us to go through all the pictures and mark the ones that were of us. We asked if we could return to the lockers to get our towels first and were told they were too busy to wait for us. We did look through the pictures which were beautiful but they wanted $109 for a cd of all the pictures or $30 for one individual pictures. There wasn't a single picture of my husband and I together with a dolphin so it would have cost us $60 just to get a picture of each of us. We walked away frustrated and with no pictures of our experience. Very disappointing!
Read aloesch's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Provider: Chankanaab
Member Image family4more
Dec 2012
My kids loved this, but it is a 4 hour tour that is in reality more like an hour experience. Most time is spent getting to the location and sorting out the groups. Once you are in the water, it is great, but it is very short. The brochure described additional snorkeling for a price, but it was not offered when we were there. Instead we were taken to more shopping.
Read family4more's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image cusecruise
Dec 2012
Loved the dolphin encounter! We got to spend about 45 minutes in the water with the dolphin and had a great time! They don't allow you to take pictures and theirs are pricey but be sure to bargain with them - it is Mexico after all and you should be able to get the full set for what they tell you that you will pay for 16. We headed out shopping after the dolphins and hit up Mr. Chilies for some guacamole and the local beer - Superior. Very good and unlike our experience the day before in Costa Maya, a reasonable price. Cozumel is all about shopping with lots of vendors hawking their wares. If you want to shop, Cozumel is for you. Dolphinarius was my favorite excursion but Cozumel was my least favorite port. After a full day, we headed back onboard about 3pm to relax before dinner.
Read cusecruise's full Norwegian Dawn cruise review
Member Image Galveston2007
Dec 2012
Water was very rough the day we were there so we felt very rushed and did not get the free time that was advertised - understandable because the water was so choppy. Even with the water being the way it was - it was quite exciting to be so up close and personal with the dolphins! Was disappointed that we were no allowed to have cameras with us while in the water - and the picture package from the park was extremely costly ($199.00)
Read Galveston2007's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Provider: booked directly on line
Member Image hartsnvt
Dec 2012
This was a once in a lifetime experience for myself and my family which included my husband and 2 daughters (23 & 20). We stood on a waist high platform and were able to kiss and touch Marina, our dolphin. It was 40 minutes of interaction and education that was priceless and we will never forget it. What was unfortunate was the price of the photos. $29.95 for one, $69.95 for 3 and $120 for 8. There were great individual pics of each of us but no package for 4 photos. We just could not afford them. I would suggest one person of your party (or two) go in the next group so they could take pics from the balcony. An unforgettable experience that will last in my memory but not on my wall.
Read hartsnvt's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image utah62
Dec 2012
Very good tour and worth the money..short taxi ride to the park..very well organized..
Read utah62's full Carnival Liberty cruise review
Member Image tlg0202
Dec 2012
Great experience. The cost of the pictures are high. The food was good, the margarita not great.
Read tlg0202's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image texasvolleyball13
Dec 2012
Our final port of call was Cozumel, Mexico. Here we did a dolphin tour through Royal Caribbean. We had planned ahead knowing that we would be tired after the entire day of tours in Belize so we planned the excursion for 9am instead of 7am. Keep in mind that it is hard to go non-stop for three countries in a row so plan accordingly especially if you have teens in the family who love to sleep in (ME). The dolphin thing was at Chankanaab Park. The tour group put us in taxis that they paid for and we got over there fine. We swam with the dolphins and got pushed and pulled by them. It was a super neat experience and the dolphins are so loving and cute. After the dolphins, you have the opportunity to return to the dock or stay the the park. The park has several places to eat, a stunning beach, pools, and snorkeling sites. We chose to walk down to the beach area and eat at the beach-side hut restaurant. Our waiter barely spoke English so I got to use some of that Spanish I had been practicing for many years. While our parents waited at the table for the food, the teens walked right out from our table and swam in the ocean like 20 feet away. It was amazing and the food was good too. We caught a taxi back to the dock and shopped in the many many shops. I really enjoyed Chankanaab a lot more than I thought I would and thought it was beautiful.
Read texasvolleyball13's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Member Image ewenix
Nov 2012
Did the dolphin swim at Dolphin Discovery. The tour was fine and everyone enjoyed it. The metal grate you have to stand on is the worst part, and very uncomfortable. The do not allow any cameras and don't want you to wear sunglasses so they can sell you the pictures they take of you. They didn't complain at me when I insisted on wearing my prescription goggles so that I could see what I was doing. Transporation to/from is by taxi in groups of 8 that is coordinated by the tour guide.
Read ewenix's full Navigator of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Goalie32
Oct 2012
Go do the Dolphin's..either swim or encounter, you will LOVE it! The encounter is NOT a swim, you stand on a platform in the water and the dolphin swims and performs for you, you can touch it but you don't swim with it! All the same it was great! The sea lion show is short but also nice and by all means go through the "jungle" next to the building, its a lenghty walk and has many nice spots for photo's.
Read Goalie32's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image vips_va
Sep 2012
We did the Dolphin Swim Encounter with Lunch in Cozumel, and it was fabulous. We got to spend a lot of time in the water with the dolphins, and had several opportunities to interact with our dolphin - and even see her baby. Naturally, they take pictures of you with the dolphin and then push you to buy them and a DVD of the encounter afterwards at extremely high prices, but you should never agree to the listed price. If you hesitate, they'll keep coming up with better offers - but it's still an added expense of well over $100 you should plan on if you are even slightly tempted to get the pictures. We were impressed with the pictures and the speed at which they were available for viewing though - they have a great system set up there. There's a big area for shopping at the pier, and we did a lot of souvenir shopping there. There seemed to be a lot of stores downtown near the Dolphinaris as well, but we didn't take time for those.
Read vips_va's full Carnival Legend cruise review
Member Image Sirithiliel
Sep 2012
the Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab Park was awesome, and we loved snorkeling off the beach afterwards. Pictures are very expensive though [$30 a piece, or $109 for all ]
Read Sirithiliel's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image kaymo1
Aug 2012
great experience...don't book through Carnival...they charge $129 per person...take a $20 taxi to the park direct and we paid $80 per person..overall savings was 50%.
Read kaymo1's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Provider: Chanabaa Park
Member Image AUmom
Aug 2012
We did Royal Swim with Dolphin Discovery. I cannot say enough about how amazing this trip was. The pictures were great---but they LOVED them. It was $150 for all of our pictures (2 people) on a CD (84 pics) with a book. I will say the pics were good and the staff was amazing. Would do it again!
Read AUmom's full Carnival Elation cruise review
Member Image ABubbe
Aug 2012
The Dophinaria is a beautiful facility. We spent about 45 minutes in the water with two dolphins and two handlers with a group of eight. It was quite thrilling to be so close to the dolphins. The actual swim along with the dolphin on the dolphin's belly was only about 30 seconds or maybe less - quite disappointing even though those few seconds were exhilarating. We paid for lunch through our tour - an increase from $99 to $129, so lunch cost us $30 each. We could have bought the lunch there for $15 each. The food was very tasty and we enjoyed bottled water with our Mexican lunch.
Read ABubbe's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image BootHeelCruiser
Jul 2012
We went to Dolphinaris that we booked through Carnival. It was a great experience. They were very good with my boys and worked hard to make the morning enjoyable. We got to touch the dolphin many times, give it a hug, kiss and ride on its belly. Lunch was included and was very good. They even had chicken nuggets for kids who may not want fajitas or quesadillas. They also refunded my 5 year old's ticket price since 5 and under are free. The credit was on my sign and sail account before we left port.
Read BootHeelCruiser's full Carnival Elation cruise review
Member Image Von Boyage
Jul 2012
Great experience swimming and learning about dolphins. The instructor was excellent. Lunch was included.
Read Von Boyage's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image wolverine7
Jul 2012
Cozumel- We had been to this port before and it's a pretty good port, the water is so blue and there is a Sr Frogs right there to have some fun. Our tour was the Dolphin push and pull and Manatee. This was a truly magical day riding swimming and interacting with the dolphin, her name was Ismal. When we arrived we wanted pics and we could see they took plenty of them. I checked and it was 30 dollars for 1 pic or 109 dollars for all of them. At first we didn't want to spend that much and bought a water proof camera for 22 dollars but after the experience and seeing the pics we couldn't take the chance our pics didn't come out good so we spent the 109 for a disc of 46 pics of the both of us. If I was to do it again I would not have bought the camera. We did get pics of the manatees with the camera so, hopefully they came out well.
Read wolverine7's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image wolverine7
Read wolverine7's full Allure of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Rottweiler Puppy
Jun 2012
My girlfriend and her daughters sis this and thought it was great. Prices for pictures are insane though. $30 for each pic on a DVD with about 45 pics for $140 and they do not allow private picture taking anymore.
Read Rottweiler Puppy's full Carnival Imagination cruise review
Member Image asirs
Jun 2012
We did the Dolphin Push, Pull and Swim at Chankanaab Park. On our own we stayed and did the Manatee Swim as well (awesome.) Beautiful park and a place you can go on your own by taxi and sign up for any/all of the encounters at your leisure (probably a cheaper option.) Also have a fresh water pool, botanical gardens, seal lion show, etc.
Read asirs's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image asirs
Jun 2012
Manatee Encounter and Feeding - AWESOME! Got to interact with and feed them! What gentle giants!
Read asirs's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Provider: At Park
Member Image PixieAmy
Jun 2012
Wonderful experience, fun for all ages. We did get a free lunch, it was authentic Mexican food, very good.
Read PixieAmy's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image PixieAmy
Jun 2012
Wonderful trip for all ages, young to senior, trainers make sure everyone knows what to do and will answer all questions.
Read PixieAmy's full Carnival Dream cruise review
Member Image CoachJeffro
Jun 2012
Even though it was rainy, we had a blast snorkeling and having the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab National Park. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!!!
Read CoachJeffro's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Provider: cozumel-tours.com
Member Image CruisingTexanLady
Jun 2012
Our favorite excursion. Absolute must for any cruise!
Read CruisingTexanLady's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image Roswell_IcePrincess
Jun 2012
I was really impressed at the amount of time we spent with the dolphins. They took pictures throughout and offered them on a CD at the end. Outrageously priced, of course. I bought the CD for my daughter and the pictures looked great, professional, although expensive. We checked out the beach at Chankanaab. The beach was great but you had to walk down steps into the water and looked pretty rocky so we passed. Very pleased with the dolphins would do it again.
Read Roswell_IcePrincess's full Carnival Legend cruise review
Provider: Direct with company
Member Image docmama
Jun 2012
Cozumel is beautiful and very "safe" feeling. Lots of different things to do. Kids liked Chankanaab.
Read docmama's full Freedom of the Seas cruise review
Member Image MamallamaAndDaddy
Jun 2012
Chankanaab park was very nice and organized. We had a lifetime dream of playing with the dolphins.
Read MamallamaAndDaddy's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image CruzNewby
May 2012
This is worth the price. We did the dolphin encounter with lunch. I read some reviews of this excursion that said the lunch wasn't that great, but it was in my opinion. It was a choice between different quesadillas or fajitas. It's Mexican food because you're in Mexico! The time with the dolphins was great. When we got there, they split our group up into smaller groups of about 8 people. We're assigned to a trainer and two dolphins. The trainers are fantastic with the dolphins and the guests. They're very patient.
Read CruzNewby's full Carnival Liberty cruise review
Member Image ncleroux
May 2012
Our second excursion was also booked with RC, the Swim, push, pull Dolphin and Manatee encounter at the Chakanaab park. It was only 10 min from the port and well worth it! It was the same price as the sea trek but so much better!! The only thing we wish we had known is that they had Sea Trek and Snuba at that same park! I recommend spending the day there, doing one or two excursions there, then you can visit the park, see some lizards and other animals and swim or snorkel at the huge beach! We even got to see a sea lion show that left us in awe.
Read ncleroux's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Dolphin3
May 2012
We took a taxi to Chankanaab Park for the dolphin swim. We had a reservation scheduled for 10AM. The dolphin swim was fun and we enjoyed our dolphin "Regina". Unfortunately the weather was bad and we were not able to snorkel or use the beach facilities. So we cut the day short and headed back to the ship where we ate at Fat Tuesdays and did a little shopping at the pier.
Read Dolphin3's full Carnival Liberty cruise review
Provider: Dolphin Discovery
Member Image CactusGirly
May 2012
In Cozumel we did the Dolphin Interaction excursion at Chaakanab (sp?) Park through DCL. It was a great experience and one I would also highly recommend - but know going in that the photos are outrageously priced.
Read CactusGirly's full Disney Fantasy cruise review
Member Image go islanders
Apr 2012
Swimming with the Dolphins was outstanding! We had a great trainer and spent quality time with the dolphin (Olympia). We all got to hold her, ride on her, kiss her and pet her!
Read go islanders's full Norwegian Sun cruise review
Member Image CamSTAR1
Kids loved it!
Read CamSTAR1's full Carnival Paradise cruise review
Provider: Chankanaab
Member Image sas
Apr 2012
Great experience! Dolphins were beautiful, and so intelligent. Staff were very informative. Lovely pictures taken, however expensive to purchase afterwards. Only downside was you had to spend about an hour in the sun with no suncream on so the dolphin's water did not get polluted, which is obviously a good idea, but you need to cover up the kids, and your shoulders!!
Read sas's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image coppicekids
Apr 2012
The kids really enjoyed this as they spent 40 momutes in the water with the dolphins, we got some really good picture as well.
Read coppicekids's full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image SOTX55
Apr 2012
For Cozumel, we did the royal dolphin adventure and purchased this directly. Carnival has a deal with them, so if you do this on your own ( I did to get the time slot I wanted and to save 20% by booking early) you just need to not say you're coming in on a cruise. The van to get us there was $12 and we did not deal with the masses on the shore excursion. We also left when we wanted to and for about 1 hour had the entire beach to ourselves. The dolphin swim itself was a once in a lifetime deal. Everyone loved it! Spend the extra and get the full royal swim, trust me it was worth it. The groups are smaller, and you really do get a true interactive experience. The foot push was a rush! 2 dolphins pushing the bottom of your feet fast enough to get you 3/4 out of the water! The photo CD you can buy from them is costly! for us it was $199, I asked if that was pesos, because I couldn't believe a 45 minute photo shoot would cost that much. Nope, that was $ USD, so I passed. You ARE allowed to bring a waterproof camera with you. Go on Amazon before the trip, and get yourself a dicapac for your camera. I put my Sony HD palmcorder in one, and recorded the whole thing. When it's not in your hand, prop it up on the dock to capture the action. Worked perfectly! If you only want to shop in Cozumel, it's within walking distance from the port to get to the real local shops. Get out of that port strip mall if you want real bargains.
Read SOTX55's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Provider: Dolphindiscovery.com
Member Image Chiefly
Apr 2012
Excellent trip and much cheaper booking directly through the operator. Review the web site carefully as there are several price structures and some discounts that are not clearly shown. Very easy to just get a taxi for a flat fee to the Dolphin area at Chankanaab. Nice food plaza. Great restrooms and changing area. Only dislike was that you are forced to walk the entire shopping area when you get off ship to get to the end where the taxi is. It is like Vegas where you are forced to walk through the casino to get anywhere in hotel.
Read Chiefly's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Provider: Dolpohin Adventures
Member Image robmhome
Apr 2012
We did the Push/Pull/Swim with the Dolphins - it was a very fun and unique experience. You get to touch the dolphins as well as give them a kiss. This part was so cool when you kiss them, the one we had closed her eyes! Then you will get pushed on a boogie board with the dolphin pushing on your foot. It was a close to being too hard since all the push was on one foot but the ride was short and very fun. The best part was being pulled by holding onto the dolphin's flippers. You are belly to belly with a special animal. I think I was grinning ear to ear after that.
Read robmhome's full Oasis of the Seas cruise review
Member Image LandlockedCruiser01
Apr 2012
Imagination docks in Puerta Maya, about four miles south of downtown, but the port was still very interesting to look at. There was a bit of time to walk around and look merchandise in shops, then the tour operator whisked people off onto a tour bus and to Chankanaab, a park where I booked the Royal Dolphin Swim. In the evening, I spent almost all of the time in Fat Tuesday's, a spring break-type bar. ROYAL DOLPHIN SWIM IN CHANKANAAB It was the highlight of the cruise! It was impossible not to be moved emotionally by it. The dolphins are very majestic and gentle. First, they train you on hand signals that dolphins understand, using a wooden cutout model of a dolphin. Then they lead you into a sectioned-off area for the actual interaction. You can do a hand/flipper shake, foot push, dorsal tow, and more. There are photographers taking pictures of you the whole time. The printed pictures are expensive, in tens of dollars, but if you get a DVD, you get 25 pictures for $80. Not a great value, but how often do most people get to swim with dolphins? FAT TUESDAY'S I went back on the ship to clean up and change clothes, then went back out to port. It was already evening by the time I went into Fat Tuesday's, and the crowd was picking up. Everybody was wearing balloon hats, dancing the limbo and a bunch of line dances, and drinking humongous drinks. I ended up joining in on the action with the people from the ship who were already there, and had an awesome time. We were all talking, laughing, and dancing.
Read LandlockedCruiser01's full Carnival Imagination cruise review
Member Image nystrgzr
Mar 2012
Intresting. Son enjoyed it but just beware taht the photo package they are willing to deal with do not pay full price and the pics were not that great.
Read nystrgzr's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image gatorgirl75
Mar 2012
My 9 year old LOVED IT!!! Since the grandparents took him we missed out on the experience. I think we had at least a half hour dissertation about it though at dinner. If we went back, I would do it for us.
Read gatorgirl75's full Liberty of the Seas cruise review
Member Image steponmyknee
Mar 2012
I did the dolphin swim at Dolphinaris and I loved it! Great trainers, beautiful facility, adorable dolphins!
Read steponmyknee's full Carnival Triumph cruise review
Member Image kjhighball
Mar 2012
Kids and Adults loved the Dolphin Push Pull Swim. We spent 40-50 minutes in the water with 2 dolphins. The trainers helped those who couldn't swim as well. Everyone wore a lifevest. The ability to have a dolphin swim with you was very neat. The kids wanted to do it again! If you want the professional pictures though, get ready to pay!
Read kjhighball's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Member Image lrarcruiser
Mar 2012
This was absolutely fantastic and worth the money. We read a number of negative reviews about this excursion because of the photos taken by the excursion crew. It's not a big deal and you can use your own camera if you wish. We did elect to purchase the DVD, negotiated a discount. The interaction with the dolphin was amazing and you don't want to miss it. There are several different dolphin excursions. Make sure to do the Push Pull because that's the one with the most interaction with the dophin. It's a bit more expensive but worth it.
Read lrarcruiser's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Member Image Bushy H.
Mar 2012
The Dolphin Swim & Ride 8011 was pretty cool. They have you wear a small life vest and you just need to be able to get to the middle of this pool to do the one trick but nothing scary. If you can't swim to that point they can set you up to do another trick on the little platform we all waited on instead, water is waist high. I loved this; only down side is the photos are only their photos and they charge a very, very high price. They don't say one price for the package, they make you pick the photos, more photos cost more, and video is separate also. Take cash or a credit card it is over $100 for both. Some folks brought family to film them but observers are only allowed on this overlook and they had us facing away from that platform while performing the tricks like being kissed or kissing the dolphin, giving it a hug, or holding onto the fins and being pulled along, so the observers could not take the photos. You also can rent a locker $3, no jewelry and if you can't get your ring off they tape over it on your finger. You can't wear any type of shoes in the pool but up to the pool you can. Bring a towel. There is a changing room and when the Taxi drops you off on the main street afterwards you can go directly to the shops, but the shops are very overpriced, postcards are $1.50 each instead of 30 cents some will haggle but not too much.
Read Bushy H.'s full Norwegian Pearl cruise review
Member Image BrandyWyneOKC
Mar 2012
Fabulous. We observed the Cayman Dolphin Swim and this blew it out of the water!
Read BrandyWyneOKC's full Disney Magic cruise review
Member Image dawnvan
Feb 2012
We loved our interaction with the dolphins... the highlight of my children's trip. Very happy with it. The employee's were all very nice and helpful. The only negation was the price of the picture cd. For a family of 7 they wanted over 200 dollars! No thanks not after paying almost 700 dollars for the excursion. I did bring my own waterproof camera so I do have those pictures.
Read dawnvan's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image denbroncs
Feb 2012
If you can get past the disorganization & rip-off of $140 to buy "their" pictures (you are not allowed to take your own pictures) you will really like this. My 7 y/o had the time of his life & the expressions on his face are priceless
Read denbroncs's full Norwegian Star cruise review
Provider: Chakanaab
Member Image GoldenRose
Feb 2012
We did the Dolphin Push, Pull and Swim at Chankanaab. The adults (including me) loved it. It was a little intimidating to our 6 year old son, who was very enthusiastic about it in theory. He loved doing the simpler interactions with the dolphin, the kiss, the hug, the dance, and the command to have it rise out of the water. He was too intimidated by the belly ride and boogie board push when we were actually there in person, although he thought they sounded great when he was learning about the excursion. The thought of going into deep water with only the dolphin nearby (without a parent) made him a little nervous. They did bring a lifeguard over to assist, as there were a couple of children in our group, but our son still decided not to go out into the center of the large pool we were assigned to. We all still had a great day.
Read GoldenRose's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Member Image rhonda819
Feb 2012
Wonderful experience. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Pictures too expensive.
Read rhonda819's full Norwegian Spirit cruise review
Member Image SamFritz
Feb 2012
A great experience. Bring your own waterproof camera. Even though they tell you you can't photos, at the last minute they will try to sell you one of their waterproof cameras.
Read SamFritz's full Jewel of the Seas cruise review
Member Image akiba1393
Feb 2012
We took the Dolphin Push Pull and Swim excursion. It was okay. My wife and I swam with the Dolphins on a previous cruise on the western side of Mexico which was great. This excursion was more about them taking photos of us with the dolphins so that they could sell us a photo package (which we did not purchase for $179). The kids liked some of it - but it was not a great experience. Cozumel has much more to offer as far as shopping and dining. We did not partake - and instead headed back to the ship.
Read akiba1393's full Celebrity Millennium cruise review
Provider: Celebrity Cruises
Member Image Rudyard
Feb 2012
Loved this experience and would highly recommend it. Our guide and the dolphin trainers were great and very patient. Transportation from the pier to the park and back was very easy and trouble free.
Read Rudyard's full Mariner of the Seas cruise review
Member Image jdminark
Feb 2012
It was awesome must do the push pull swim!! dont forget to check out the sea lion show also!!
Read jdminark's full Carnival Conquest cruise review
Member Image nolaphile
Feb 2012
It was worth doing once. The dolphins were so cool and it was fun to be up close. The trainers were knowledgeable, kind, and made it fun for every member of our family. I was bugged that we weren't allowed to take pictures and they wanted us to pay an arm and a leg for their photos. I didn't buy a single one and don't regret not, but it's sad not to have been able to snap a few with our own camera.
Read nolaphile's full Disney Magic cruise review
Member Image Hathawaycruiser
Feb 2012
Did the Dolphin Swim, which was the highlight of our cruise!! Wonderful! The pictures were a bit expensive, but well worth it!
Read Hathawaycruiser's full Norwegian Spirit cruise review
Member Image Ivansmom02
Jan 2012
Dolphin Push, Pull and Swim at Chankanaab park. Had an amazing time. Finding our excursion guide, getting us there, and getting back to port was very simple and were very nice guides. The shopping in Cozumel is lots of fun b/c it's so cheap and there's so many shops to look at! Ate at 3 Amigos, had a blast there!!!!
Read Ivansmom02's full Carnival Magic cruise review
Member Image pk2826
Dec 2011
I could not go since the Mexican police were hostile and RCI did not provide security to protect against them. Cozumel is a bad place to go.
Read pk2826's full Voyager of the Seas cruise review