Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > 1865JFK's Port Reviews of Mykonos, Naples, Jerusalem (Ashdod), Haifa, Palermo, Rome (Civitavecchia)

Celebrity Silhouette cruise in October 2011
Member Name: 1865JFK
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Member Review: 1865JFK's Celebrity Silhouette Review
Mykonos
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Walked around the waterfront portion of the Island looking in shops & had lunch in a restaurant. Transportation for this area was not necessary. Since it was an October cruise and in port during the day, going to the beach or a nightclub was not on the agenda. I had been there prior & loved the beaches.

More Mykonos Reviews Mykonos Port Profile Mykonos Forum
Naples
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We had prearranged with a guide prior to leaving the U.S. We went to Sorrento and along the Amalfi Coast, stopping when we wanted to. It was quite expensive for the day, but since 3 of us were sharing the cost it was not too bad ($500 Euros). We were picked up at the port, did shopping and had lunch at a local restaurant in Sorrento & then drove along the Amalfi Coast to a

hotel with a magnificent view & very costly rooms. The cheapest room in season about $2,000 euros a day. Got back to the ship in time to sail off again. I forgot to say that we started the day at Pompeii

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum
Jerusalem (Ashdod)
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Having been there twice prior I spent the two days with my friend who lives there, while my other 2 friends took their tours with her husband. The 1st day I had a private tour of the Pediatric Oncology Dept at Hadassah Hospital as well as other parts of the hospital. The U.S. should take a lesson from Israel on how to treat their patients & for their innovative safety measures in times of crisis. That day we also went to the Old City (where I had been before), had lunch there & then coffee in a restaurant (in a mall attached to the old city) & waited for my other two touring friends to join us. In the evening we went to the Sound & Light Show at the Tower of David in the old city. It is amazing & must be seen by all who can make it.

The second day while my friends were touring I took a cab to the train station & a train to Tel Aviv to meet my friend. We had lunch at a waterfront restaurant & then I returned to the ship the way I came.

Be aware of the Taxi Drivers in Port. They wanted $80 U.S. to go from the Exit of the Port to Tel Aviv (one way). It cost 50 shekels from the Port Exit to the Train each way & being a Senior Citizen the train cost me 19 shekels round trip to Tel Aviv. (The shekel was about 3 3/4 to a dollar). The train ride was very comfortable even if they do not travel very fast, like we are used to.

More Jerusalem (Ashdod) Reviews Jerusalem (Ashdod) Port Profile Jerusalem (Ashdod) Forum
Haifa
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
The 1st day, my friends son picked us up early & dropped me off at the University to visit the archeological museum, while he took my friends touring

in his private car. They did not return to the ship until 7:00 PM, but they had a wonderful time seeing all the Christian sites. The museum was very interesting & the staff friendly and accomodating. They do not open until 10:00AM so I had to wait an hour. Going back to the ship I could not find a taxi, so took a bus and had a wonderful one hour bus ride seeing many different neighborhoods and people. The driver could not be nicer. I walked the wrong way and couldn't find my way back to the ship across the railroad tracks. I aksed a family who was getting into their car & they drove me back to the bridge that I walked across to get back.

The second day while my friends were out touring again, I enjoyded sleeping late and relaxing on the ship until they returned & we sailed off for Ashdod, as I had been to Haifa previously and had seen all the sights.

More Haifa Reviews Haifa Port Profile Haifa Forum
Palermo
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We walked around downtown visiting stores & had lunch in a Chinese restaurant before returning to the ship.

More Palermo Reviews Palermo Port Profile Palermo Forum
Rome (Civitavecchia)
City Tour Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Part of Rome by Night Tour. This was booked because one friend had never been to Rome before and one had only been there during the day. The tour also included dinner.

More Rome (Civitavecchia) Reviews Rome (Civitavecchia) Port Profile Rome (Civitavecchia) Forum