Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > tef's Port Reviews of Buenos Aires, Stanley, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt, Santiago (Valparaiso)

Veendam cruise in December 2011
Member Name: tef
Cruise Date: December 2011
Embarkation: Buenos Aires
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Member Review: tef's Veendam Review
Buenos Aires
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Buenos Aires was slightly disappointing -- a little run down from what I was expecting. I never felt unsafe, but the areas close to the cruise terminal seemed a little seedy. The people we dealt with were always nice and also polite. The airport on the return trip was a mess -- it was 100 degrees and rolling blackouts had put the airport on generators. The airport terminal building was hotter inside than outside, but the outside air was severely polluted due to the generators. We had hours to spend there, and it was with gratitude that I finally boarded our plane...

Oh, the cruise terminal was modern, air conditioned, and very nice...

More Buenos Aires Reviews Buenos Aires Port Profile Buenos Aires Forum
Stanley
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Beautiful town in a beautiful and underpopulated land. The land reminded me a little of Ireland, and a little of Wyoming -- lots of rugged beauty and untouched wilderness. The fact that such a small town (2,000 residents) can host cruise ships with thousands of passengers is still amazing to me...
More Stanley Reviews Stanley Port Profile Stanley Forum
Ushuaia
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Also a wonderful small town -- much nicer than Buenos Aires. Very safe to walk around and shop. I treated myself to great espresso in one of the coffee shops...

More Ushuaia Reviews Ushuaia Port Profile Ushuaia Forum
Punta Arenas
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Didn't see the town, but the trip to Magdelena Island was a challenging ferry ride. I felt the tour company or Holland America could have done much better. Still, the Magellan Penguins are breathtaking to see once you've enduring the industrial ferry boat ride to the island.

More Punta Arenas Reviews Punta Arenas Port Profile Punta Arenas Forum
Puerto Montt
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Didn't really spend time in Puerto Montt -- went to the Orsono volcano instead on an excellent day trip which included a terrific restaurant for lunch (and Chilean wine which was much better than the wine on the ship). Orsono was breathtaking, and from there we could see the erupting volcano on the horizon spewing ash into the stratosphere.

More Puerto Montt Reviews Puerto Montt Port Profile Puerto Montt Forum
Santiago (Valparaiso)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Didn't spend time there -- just took the post cruise transfer bus to the airport. It was a pleasant bus ride, though, and gave us a chance to see some spectacular scenery on our way -- mountains, farms, and wine vineyards.

More Santiago (Valparaiso) Reviews Santiago (Valparaiso) Port Profile Santiago (Valparaiso) Forum