Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > poppydopolous's Port Reviews of Bequia, Dominica, St. Kitts, St. Barts, St. Maarten

Silver Spirit cruise in November 2010
Member Name: poppydopolous
Cruise Date: November 2010
Embarkation: Barbados
Member Review: poppydopolous's Silver Spirit Review
Bequia
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Charming little place, nothing much to do except walk, swim or sit and swill beer. We walked over to Friendship Beach which is not actually very far, just up and down a bit. We saw a great sign saying "We sell intoxicated liquor". Felt a bit mean not using the taxis as I am sure they only get business when the boat comes in.

It is a short tender ride from the boat to the jetty.

More Bequia Reviews Bequia Port Profile Bequia Forum
Dominica
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
This island seemed to have a lot to offer, and the excursions all appealed. Sadly we only had time for one of them - River Tubing. Great fun, but very challenging. Do not believe the description in the Silversea brochure, you need to be quite daring and physically strong to enjoy this, at least on the day we did it. The river was not in the least gentle, it was white water rapids all the way. This was exhilarating, but also scary as you have not control over which way you face, the rubber ring rotates with the current. It is ESSENTIAL that you wear shoes as you will need to fend yourself off from rocks, and if you come out (as many people did), the bottom of the river is full of sharp rocks. Top heavy men who carry their weight around their chests, and very light ladies had the hardest time staying in the rings. But I loved it, it was quite a thrilling experience.

Roseau appeared to be a very genuine town, but also quite run down. I liked it because it was very real and not titivated up for tourists in the same way that some of the other islands have been.

More Dominica Reviews Dominica Port Profile Dominica Forum
St. Kitts
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
I can only do this using second hand experience as tiredness caught up with us and we did not go ashore today. Others said it was "a very nice island". The sugar cane train ride some people found to be a bit too long, but others enjoyed it. No one raved about anything, or even seemed particularly excited.

More St. Kitts Reviews St. Kitts Port Profile St. Kitts Forum
St. Barts
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Very chic. If designer shopping is your thing, then this is a lovely, elegant place to indulge.

It is not my thing, so we went snorkelling instead. The catamaran was owned by a french chap called Thierry, who was great fun and took us out to Sugarloaf rock to snorkel. He gave us a full safety briefing, kitted everyone out with fins and masks and told us not to get too close to the rock as there was quite a swell. The snorkelling was fun and we did see some pretty fish, but I am spoilt for snorkelling as we have been to the Barrier Reef where there is just soo much to see. A very pleasant 45 minutes was spent sloshing around face down with my little Kodak Playsport camcorder recording some of the parrot fish that we saw. However the swell was considerable so most of my pictures look like the fish were swimming out of the frame, when in fact it was me floating being swept this way and that.

More St. Barts Reviews St. Barts Port Profile St. Barts Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Mmm, we took a bus tour of the island and although the guide was very good, she had to work hard at finding things to say. The island is in two parts, the Dutch and the French halves. Much of what we saw was half built or falling down. The highlight was some amazing iguanas nestling amongst the greenery on the road side, and they were really very big indeed.

The market in Marigot was interesting, but half an hour was all that was needed there. My general impression is that tourism is the main industry and this makes it less of an interesting place to go.

There was the most spectacular traffic jam going round what seemed like half of the island. I am just glad we were going the other way.

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum