Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > HeinBloed's Port Reviews of Venice, Kotor, Split, Dubrovnik, Taormina (Messina), Naples

Norwegian Jade cruise in October 2011
Member Name: HeinBloed
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Member Review: HeinBloed's Norwegian Jade Review
Venice
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We arrived a day earlier and stayed at Hilton Garden Inn in Venice Mestre (Mainland). Great location and great value for the price. Easy to reach airport and port. We booked a private water taxi but this did not show up. They forgot to arrange. Private canal tour was great. Visit in Murano Glass manufacturer a little unnecessary. But Venice is the place for romance that I deeply regret that I have never been there before. Book a portside balcony cabin to experience the set sail out of Venice.

Days 0 and 1

More Venice Reviews Venice Port Profile Venice Forum
Kotor
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
It should be Koper in Slovenia and not Kotor in Montenegro but there was no Koper in the checkbox.

It was the perfect port for the start of the cruise. Very calm and relaxing.

We saw an old historical church in the surrounding and had a great wine tasting.

Day 2 in Koper.

More Kotor Reviews Kotor Port Profile Kotor Forum
Split
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We went to Krka National Park to see the waterfalls. Then we had a true authentic Croation BBQ. Due to mistake of restaurant I had to ask for a doggy bag and wanted to eat it onboard. They confiscated my food because it smelled too good and I am sure they had a great party with the food. The joke: they refer to the poster to warn to take food ASHORE.

Day 3 in Split.

More Split Reviews Split Port Profile Split Forum
Dubrovnik
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
The was the highlight of the cruise and intial reason to go on this cruise. We were lucky that the driver told us from his family's point of view on the civil war. So it was living history.

Day 4 in Dubrovnik.

More Dubrovnik Reviews Dubrovnik Port Profile Dubrovnik Forum
Taormina (Messina)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We were visiting Taormina but our ship berthed in Messina which is not in the checkbox. It was a great experience and my expectation to be killed by the Mafia on this cruise was replaced to act like in Sophia Loren's and Clark Gable's "It started in Naples". Living Italia lifestyle pure. Best place to have true authentic ice cream you have never before. I am looking for someone who invented something to make ice-cream to carry without having a fridge...

Day 5 in Messina.

More Taormina (Messina) Reviews Taormina (Messina) Port Profile Taormina (Messina) Forum
Naples
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We went to Amalfi. Unfortunately the 2nd part of the shore excursion had to be withdrawn due to heavy rain. Amalfi is worth to visit everytime and we had a great tour company.

Day 7 in Naples.

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum
Rome (Civitavecchia)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I hate this port Civitavecchia but I love Rome. We had to fly the same afternoon home and my friend's parents never have been in Rome. So we arranged a photoshot tour on the way to the airport.

Day 8 in Civitavecchia.

More Rome (Civitavecchia) Reviews Rome (Civitavecchia) Port Profile Rome (Civitavecchia) Forum