Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > minimidget5's Port Reviews of Barcelona, Monaco, Florence (Livorno), Rome (Civitavecchia), Naples, Taormina (Messina)

Carnival Magic cruise in October 2011
Member Name: minimidget5
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Member Review: minimidget5's Carnival Magic Review
Barcelona
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We started and ended in Barcelona. Definitely enjoyed the city and it seemed like there was plenty to do here. We really only spent one full day after the cruise in port, but could have easily spent more. We took the hop on and off bus around the city and thoroughly enjoyed it.

More Barcelona Reviews Barcelona Port Profile Barcelona Forum
Monaco
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Loved this port! It was so easy to just hop of the ship and walk around. Unless you want to leave the area or want an official tour, you don't need an excursion to get around Monaco. We walked to the palace and casino with no problem. The whole place is beautiful, safe and just fun to explore.
More Monaco Reviews Monaco Port Profile Monaco Forum
Florence (Livorno)
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We took a 5 euro shuttle to the center of Livorno, there are buses lined up right outside when you disembark. From there, the tourist info center was selling tickets for a shuttle to Florence - 25 euro round trip. This worked out well for us and seemed reasonable enough for the convenience. If you are interested in going into Academia or Uffizi, make sure you have reservations in advance. We spent way too much time waiting in line at Academia and I regretted not planning ahead.

More Florence (Livorno) Reviews Florence (Livorno) Port Profile Florence (Livorno) Forum
Rome (Civitavecchia)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We took the shore excursion that toured Rome and the Vatican Museum. It was, of course, expensive but totally worth it. It was a carefree day for us where we got a great tour of the city and an even better tour of the Vatican. Not having to wait in lines was a great plus. We got 2 hours of free time to run around Rome, which we got to see the Pantheon, Trevi and Spanish Steps. They included lunch which was delicious, although maybe our table drank a little bit too much wine considering the Vatican was in the second half of our day :)

More Rome (Civitavecchia) Reviews Rome (Civitavecchia) Port Profile Rome (Civitavecchia) Forum
Naples
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+
I really did not like that this port was the gateway to so many different wonderful places. We went to Pompeii and Sorrento for the day, which were both amazing. Naples felt unsafe, unclean and just overall a place that I did not want to be. Unfortunately, I did not choose a shore excursion for this day and had planned to take the train. We had no problems taking the train both to Pompeii and Sorrento (even after countless warnings about pickpockets). It was just a shame that we had to even be in Naples at all. I would say just plan on leaving Naples for this day in port - whether you go to Pompeii, Amalfi, Sorrento, etc.

More Naples Reviews Naples Port Profile Naples Forum
Taormina (Messina)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We were actually in port in Messina. I was pleasantly surprised with the city. I was worried that I hadn't scheduled an excursion for that day, but we found plenty around Messina to see. We were able to walk all around town and really enjoyed the day.

More Taormina (Messina) Reviews Taormina (Messina) Port Profile Taormina (Messina) Forum
Palma de Mallorca
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
A shuttle (I don't remember how much but not too expensive) will take you across the street from the cathedral. We had nothing planned, so we just walked around and really enjoyed how clean and quaint everything seemed.

More Palma de Mallorca Reviews Palma de Mallorca Port Profile Palma de Mallorca Forum
Marseille
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We did an excursion to Avignon and Chateauneuf de Pape. Avignon was very interesting and we enjoyed the tour. We didn't like that lunch was not included but we were able to find some good choices in the main square. I was excited to have some wine tasting but it didn't really live up to what I had imagined. I would have liked to have had a tour at the wine museum as opposed to just having to wander about and read signs. It got boring and the main focus for our group was just shelling out money on the mediocre wine.

More Marseille Reviews Marseille Port Profile Marseille Forum