Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Vagabondvoyager's Port Reviews of Halifax, Saint John (New Brunswick), Portland (Maine)

Norwegian Jewel cruise in October 2011
Member Name: Vagabondvoyager
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Member Review: Vagabondvoyager's Norwegian Jewel Review
Halifax
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We took the Peggy's Cove tour from Halifax and it was a good pick. The drive to Peggy's Cove was very scenic (a few places to stop for photos would have been nice). Peggy's Cove consists of a small fishing village with some souvenir shops and a beautiful lighthouse. I didn't have enough time here. Even if we had just another half hour would have made a big difference. Perhaps, you could rent a car in Halifax and make the drive yourself.
More Halifax Reviews Halifax Port Profile Halifax Forum
Saint John (New Brunswick)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We did the Best of Saint John-Top 10 tour. We saw a lot including the reversing river with the tide coming in and later with the tide out. We went to a beautiful beach where we searched for "wishing stones". I found several, but they were confiscated when we boarded the Jewel. The officer did let me make my wish before he took them. So, if you find "wishing stones" here, only keep the small ones and keep them in your pocket when you get back on the ship! There is a small restaurant on the beach, so be sure to try the seafood chowder because it was excellent. We stopped in the small village of St. Martins where there are two covered bridges and a few souvenir shops. Again, I felt rushed here and would have liked just a little more time.

More Saint John (New Brunswick) Reviews Saint John (New Brunswick) Port Profile Saint John (New Brunswick) Forum
Portland (Maine)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Another pretty port! Unfortunately it was raining for most of our tour. We went out to Portland Head Light (we saw it from the ship when we were sailing into Portland). Its a very scenic lighthouse on a rocky coast line. Again, I felt rushed here. There was a small gift shop here, but I really didn't get a chance to look around in it. Next, we went to the small village of Kennebunkport. We went to Alisson's for lunch. Be sure to try the lobster bisque (the best I've ever had!). The lobster rolls weren't anything special, however. We had time to do a little shopping in Kennebunkport, but it wasn't much fun in the pouring rain!

More Portland (Maine) Reviews Portland (Maine) Port Profile Portland (Maine) Forum