Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > hounddogz's Port Reviews of Ensenada, Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas

Carnival Spirit cruise in September 2011
Member Name: hounddogz
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Member Review: hounddogz's Carnival Spirit Review
Ensenada
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We took a bus tour to La Bufadora, a natural blowhole about an hour ride away from the port. We got to wander down a street full of vendors plying their trinkets, they were of course eager for business, but not as aggressive as those in other ports.

Take 50c with you to use the restroom!!

The fish tacos near the bus parking lots were amazing!!

There is a small market just in the cruise port, and couple of vendors selling tequila.

More Ensenada Reviews Ensenada Port Profile Ensenada Forum
Manzanillo
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I loved this port. It is not yet overrun with commercialism for toursits, and makes for a very peaceful destination. As you pull into port, the industry is visible, with smoke stacks pluming into the sky. This is Mexico's major industrial port, and to be honest it was nice to see 'real' stuff instead of Senor Frogs and the usual portside hawkers.

We were greeted by the locals when we got off of the ship, a group of school children wanted to high five us all (not sure why they were brought to the port but they were cute) and local people handed fresh baked goods to cruisers.

We took a tour to the pyramids, and La Comina. The tour lasted 6 hrs and Roberto our tour guide (a geography professor) was informative and entertaining.

More Manzanillo Reviews Manzanillo Port Profile Manzanillo Forum
Puerto Vallarta
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We did not book an excursion for this port - in hindsight I wish we had!

We did get off of the ship and wandered to the local mall and walmart ( how often do you get to travel to walmart by ship)

The touts at the terminal were horrendous, trying to get you into taxis, or to buy stuff in their stores ...I kinda like to be left alone after saying no thank you ...but I guess that's how they get their business.

Not much to say about this port because we didn't really do anything...next time we will book an excursion.

More Puerto Vallarta Reviews Puerto Vallarta Port Profile Puerto Vallarta Forum
Cabo San Lucas
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Such a pretty place! The ship docks adjacent to the rock arches, so the view is spectacular. You have to tender off the ship here - the tender ride is nice and breezy, and takes about 15 mins or so.

We took an excursion to a glass blowing factory, a restaurant for a beer and a cactus place. To be honest, i thought the excursion was a rip off - The glass blowing factory was very cool and that was about it. The restaurant was also nice, but lining to get a your free beer or pop while looking at the ocean from another view point was not my idea of an excursion. I didn't get off of the bus at the cactus place ...lots of people didn't.

We spent a little time on the dock when we returned, went in a very cool store to buy souvenirs and then went into senor frogs for a drink. BIG MISTAKE!! We asked for a daquiri and a margarita...which were delivered in souvenir glasses, and cost over $30 for the two. While we were there, a whistle blowing server, poured three shots down my husbands throat, massaged his head, tweeked his nipples and charged hin $10! ...I shouldn't of laughed, because then she tweeked my nippples...yes, this was the first AND last senor frog visit!!

More Cabo San Lucas Reviews Cabo San Lucas Port Profile Cabo San Lucas Forum