Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > clerkhjh's Port Reviews of Boston, Portland (Maine), Saint John (New Brunswick), Halifax

Carnival Glory cruise in October 2011
Member Name: clerkhjh
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Member Review: clerkhjh's Carnival Glory Review
Boston
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

Boston is an amazing city. We were in port 2pm until 10pm. It is impossible to see enough in this time period. An early debarkation pass is essential. You will lose valuable time if you leave at 4pm without a pass. I waited in line on the ship to get one the day before. The freedom trail is marked by red bricks from the city center. We took a taxi and followed the trail around. I had a wonderful time. Historic sites close at 5pm. In retrospect an excursion may help you see more in your short time there. However, I am happy with my experience on my own. The taxi was $12 to Faneuil Hall. Getting back on the ship was a long line. I waited 45 minutes when I returned at 7pm just to get back on the ship. Others waited longer. There was a problem with the galley. Just be patient. Might pay off to get closer to the deadline of 9:30 rather than wait in line.

More Boston Reviews Boston Port Profile Boston Forum
Portland (Maine)
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

Discover Portland representatives are there right as you get off the ship. We spent $35 per person for a cruise around the harbor and a bus trip. Well worth it. The tour was excellent. This is the way to see Portland. The weather was beautiful. Give yourself time to eat at DeMillo's (its right by Discover Portland stand). Splurge on lobster. You will not be sorry!

More Portland (Maine) Reviews Portland (Maine) Port Profile Portland (Maine) Forum
Saint John (New Brunswick)
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

St John New Brunswick. It was a little cold and wet. Walk down to the market, easy to find of the ship. There is an excellent New Brunswick history museum. We enjoyed learning about whales. Admission is $7. We bought the St Martin & Bay of Fundy excursion from Carnival. Might be a mistake. There were plenty of tour offerings right off the ship. We could have gotten a better deal. The excursion was good. I am glad we saw the Canadian country-side. The leaves are changing there. The red rocks and sea caves are gorgeous. Not to be missed. After reading reviews I knew that the tour would be short. We only spent 60 minutes in St Martin. However, the drive was pretty. The town itself is industrial. It has some beautiful buildings but I think the sea is the real attraction.

More Saint John (New Brunswick) Reviews Saint John (New Brunswick) Port Profile Saint John (New Brunswick) Forum
Halifax
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+

I should have bought an excursion or a tour. We were suprised that there were limited options avaiable when we got off the boat. So, we braved the cold wind. It is an interesting port. I liked the Maritime museum $12 admission. Very interesting and easy to find off the ship. The Citadel is interesting as well. The guards gave us a tour.

More Halifax Reviews Halifax Port Profile Halifax Forum