Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > xxprimrose's Port Reviews of Copenhagen, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Gdansk, Rostock (Warnemunde)

Discovery cruise in August 2011
Member Name: xxprimrose
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Harwich
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Member Review: xxprimrose's Discovery Review
Copenhagen
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I am a little disabled so I booked an excursion but did not feel sufficiently well to leave the coach for photo stops so Julie our Shearings representative made sure that I was comfortable and she took photographs for me. Then we took a boat to see some more of this lovely city and it was very comfortable and enjoyable.

More Copenhagen Reviews Copenhagen Port Profile Copenhagen Forum
Stockholm
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Took a boat trip again, arranged by Shearings and it was lovely. We had a great guide who was enthusiastic and very informative. This was an afternoon trip.

More Stockholm Reviews Stockholm Port Profile Stockholm Forum
St. Petersburg
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Wonderful evening excursion to the ballet, fully escorted and we had front seats.

Next day went on an afternoon excursion to the Yusopov Palace, followed by another boat trip which was great fun. There was time to visit a souvenir shop near the Yusopov Palace and I was served with complementary tea and Russian bread.

Really enjoyable and saw so much of St. Petersburg and avoided the seriously bad traffic.

More St. Petersburg Reviews St. Petersburg Port Profile St. Petersburg Forum
Gdansk
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
One of my favourite trips. We went from MV Discovery to a private hire boat which was very comfortable. Coffee and cake was served on nice china and we were so lucky again to have such a good guide. We travelled by boat to Gydnia where we visited a jewllwery shop for a talk about amber, which was fascinating. Then we had about 45 minutes free time to wander this very beautiful city. I visited shops and toilets and got lost but the local people understood sufficient English to help me. Then we took a coach back to a cruise ship and our guide gave us so much information that it made me want to return some day.

More Gdansk Reviews Gdansk Port Profile Gdansk Forum
Rostock (Warnemunde)
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
This was my favourite excursion and I think that the reason was our Shearings rep and our Port guide who was so very knowledgeable. We visited Rostock which is an amazing place that was very inspiring. It was interesting to see what had survived the war and the occupation and also to see how Rostock had been rebuilt.

We visited the old town wall which dates to medieval times and also the university. We also saw the Stasi building which fascinated all of my fellow passengers, but there were too many steps withing the building for me to actually view the rooms in which the Stasi went about their business. The building is now a museum. Again there was a little time for shopping in this wonderful town that is such an interesting mix of old and new. On our way back to the coach, we visited an amazing church which house a working medieval astronomical clock. One of only two in the world, I believe, that is still working. This church is very fine and it's building and upkeep have been financed by sailors. It is truly astounding.

More Rostock (Warnemunde) Reviews Rostock (Warnemunde) Port Profile Rostock (Warnemunde) Forum