Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Lochnessmonster1's Port Reviews of Alexandria, Cairo (Port Said), Jerusalem (Ashdod)

Thomson Celebration cruise in September 2011
Member Name: Lochnessmonster1
Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Dalaman
Destination: Middle East
Member Review: Lochnessmonster1's Thomson Celebration Review
Alexandria
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
The Alexandria Museum trip wasn't all that good, the tour party was too large, you couldn't hear what the guide was saying as the museum was too small for the busload to circle around the various items of note. If you are next to the guide- then great, if your older and struggle with stairs etc you'll be on the outskirts and missing out.You don't really get time to explore yourself its a school type expedition - as they all are really

More Alexandria Reviews Alexandria Port Profile Alexandria Forum
Cairo (Port Said)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
The Cairo Museum is a must, there is so much to see that you could spend two days in there. you get a couple of hours in a packed inferno of commotion. You are supplied with 'whispers' radio headphones and the guide therefore has your ear at least. Far too rushed and chaotic, you are told when you can pee and when you cannot - I'm not joking! You get 10 min to do your own thing- that includes the toilet and the optional mummy tours that cost an extra £16. These exhibitions are at opposite sides of the museum ( 2 displays). Well worth seeing- even if you are 5 min late to get back! Astonishing to see these preserved icons of Egyptian history.

Giza pyramids follow on from the Cairo tour. Well worth a visit, I went inside one to have a look and feel of the internal atmosphere, cost an extra £7 but worth it to me. You need to be able to negotiate a steep ramp stairway while bent over, only takes 10min but you see internal chambers, and a segregated tomb section.surprisingly cool inside.

More Cairo (Port Said) Reviews Cairo (Port Said) Port Profile Cairo (Port Said) Forum
Jerusalem (Ashdod)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Jerusalem - our tour guide Adrian would have put Bethany Hughes to shame! We got a non stop class in the origins of religion -as the world knows it, very convincing, bit much for me to listen to so much as I tend to want to spend my time exploring than in the sun being tought, but he knew his stuff and it was very interesting.Lots to see here but not enough time in this tour to see it. I will definately go back. Good tour good guide, just not my cup of tea.

Bethlehem - guide was a character - Ramsey. will sell you candles in the nativity church and sand to the arabs! Make sure you go downstairs to the birthplace within the church, I didn't know it was there as ramsey was selling candles, found out afterwards what we missed. I'll go back when there is more time to appreciate it.

My mother did very well, Jerusalem is a stairway nightmare and she struggles with her knees ( ops) but still managed.This tour was different, the tickets prior to it had our bus number on it and we had travelled together. On this trip you get on the bus first come first served. They got on a bus as we were changing money and we only caught a fleeting glance of them on another bus all day. Stick together on this one.

More Jerusalem (Ashdod) Reviews Jerusalem (Ashdod) Port Profile Jerusalem (Ashdod) Forum