Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > SJT4802@aol.com's Port Reviews of Corsica (Ajaccio), Rome (Civitavecchia), Nice, Palermo

Island Escape cruise in August 2011
Member Name: SJT4802@aol.com
Cruise Date: August 2011
Embarkation: Other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Member Review: SJT4802@aol.com's Island Escape Review
Corsica (Ajaccio)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Ajaccio was a great first stop. We walked through the market which was fun, lots of fresh local produce and an authentic French experience. We stopped for lunch in a local cafe (English was limited but got by with my school french!).

We then caught the "Noddy Train" for a 45 minute tour. This took us up to the local Napoleon statue which was ok and around various local streets. This was worthwhile as it was too hot to walk around (August). The cost was 7 euros per adult (and children 13 and over).

More Corsica (Ajaccio) Reviews Corsica (Ajaccio) Port Profile Corsica (Ajaccio) Forum
Rome (Civitavecchia)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
We actually docked in Civitavecchia which is close to Rome. As my family and I have been to Rome several times before we stayed near the port. However, if you've not experienced Rome I highly recommend it. The price from the ship isn't cheap but you do get to see all the sights, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Vatican City etc.

The port was pretty good though with a free bus into the local market (it can be walked in ten minutes but the weather is hot). The market was good for my wife and two 13 year old girls buying some hand made jewellery and the usual holiday souvenirs. Just beware of any pick-pockets which we were warned about, but didn't feel threatened.

More Rome (Civitavecchia) Reviews Rome (Civitavecchia) Port Profile Rome (Civitavecchia) Forum
Nice
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Nice, France - absolutely stunning!! The best stop we had. You can go on an organised tour to Monaco and Monte Carlo which was about £47 for an adult but you can do this yourself on the local train from about 7 Euro each.

We decided to stay in Nice which is beautiful. We took the open top bus tour which is about 20 euros for an adult (children 13 and over) and headphones are provided so you can listen in on the facts in multiple languages. There are 12 stops in total and it takes about 40 minutes but you can get off and on whenever you want. It was great going around seeing the sites, local architecture is fabulous and the beaches are excellent.

We got off on the beach front (kids wanted a McDonalds!), had a photo with the Ferrari outside the casino then hit the beach for a bit. We walked back to the ship, which was great, around the harbour with some fantastic expensive yachts, picturesque cafes and restaurants. This was my favourite stop, stunning scenery, a wealthy area, and I would love to go back here.

More Nice Reviews Nice Port Profile Nice Forum
Palermo
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
On the Costa Brava, this is typical Spain, good beaches, plenty of restaurants and a town centre with stores selling the usual souvenirs. I was a bit disappointed with this stop but I think I'd been spoiled by Nice in France.

More Palermo Reviews Palermo Port Profile Palermo Forum