Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > TylerRose's Port Reviews of Ketchikan, Juneau, Victoria, Anchorage

TylerRose's Port Reviews of Ketchikan, Juneau, Victoria, Anchorage
Destination: Alaska
Member Review: TylerRose's Amsterdam Review
Ketchikan
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Our first port was Ketchikan. After wandering about town... we were off with the crew as "guests" on the Aleutian Ballad from Season 2 of "The Deadliest Catch". We listened to their Bering Sea tales and observed demos of prepping and using the crab cages and pots. Later they pulled up different cages and pots to show off their pre filled catches to teach us about them and to let us touch, & sometimes hold them. I loved this excursion and it actually left me with one of my favorite memories of the trip. They passed around a big crab for folks to hold and take photos with. After handing the crab off to my daughter, the handler was distracted and wandered off leaving, my daughter holding the crab! After a few minutes she was still standing there holding it while the rest of us laughed our heads off!

More Ketchikan Reviews Ketchikan Port Profile Ketchikan Forum
Juneau
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Juneau... we did not waste a moment! We wandered about some & then hopped aboard the Mt. Roberts tram for a quick lunch and views. We had booked a helicopter/airboat tour of Taku Glacier with Coastal Helicopters. Unfortunately, the boat pilot was unavailable due to weather troubles, and we were greeted dockside by their apologetic rep offering alternatives. My husband had his heart set on photographing Taku Glacier, and after some discussion, an itinerary was created to allow flying over, about, & landing on TAKU for a walk about. (It is one of the few glaciers still advancing.) If you have ever wondered what it feels like to stand on top of the world... stand on a glacier! Afterwards, we whale watched with Captain Larry from Orca Tours. This was our fourth outing with Captain Larry and as always, he knows how to "follow the pod".

More Juneau Reviews Juneau Port Profile Juneau Forum
Victoria
Port Rating: 0.0 out of 5+
Victoria ended up our family favorite. Partially because of the day’s glorious weather… but mostly because of timing. We disembarked as a man showed up in his classic Ford 1954 Sunliner & set out on an open air touring adventure. We visited Victoria ‘s beautiful views, such as the castle, neighborhoods, and parks. As we passed deer grazing in folks’ gardens and peacocks wandering parkside, we waved to locals admiring our ride. Day 14, or is it 15… Disembarkation in Seatle was simple and well organized. I had stressed over return home flight times, and after advice never to book before noon, we stayed on in Seattle overnight. While some were still waiting for their group to be called, as suite passengers, we could disembark whenever we were ready, so we did, and we were assisted by eager luggage valets, grabbed a taxi dockside and headed off to our hotel. If you are in a suite I do not think even an 11AM flight would be a problem… but of course, things happen.

More Victoria Reviews Victoria Port Profile Victoria Forum
Anchorage
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We rented a van and explored on our own. We drove out to the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood for the aerial tram allowing magnificent views & lunch. We drove about some more & ended up at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. A place to get close up to rescued native animals, it is a photographer’s dream & many of the animal images you see in the Alaska brochures were taken here. Day 8: Homer: This is a port you either loved or hated for its small size and slightly eccentric character. We loved it! After walking past a frenzy of seagulls, we bought tickets to a jump on/jump off bus allowing 4 stops… My daughter and I chose to get off at the fourth stop and spend our time the beach, watching the hula hoops spin while the dogs chased Frisbees, while sipping lemonade sold by kids, and enjoying a snack at the most excellent Two Sisters’ Bakery. My husband took a flight-seeing trip he enjoyed very much. Alas, rough seas lay ahead and The Master Chef’s dinner was for many of us not meant to be… but rest of my family enjoyed the chefs parade, music & fun.

More Anchorage Reviews Anchorage Port Profile Anchorage Forum