Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > sutrotower's Port Reviews of Berlin, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm

Norwegian Sun cruise in June 2011
Member Name: sutrotower
Cruise Date: June 2011
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Member Review: sutrotower's Norwegian Sun Review
Berlin
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We reserved with Alla Tours, which we had also reserved for our tour in St. Petersburg. Our tickets said 8:00am and we were down there waiting from 7:30am on. By 8:00am, all the NCL, SPB, and smaller tour companies had already left to Berlin as it is a 3 hour drive. I began emailing Alla through our private account, but she was busy in St. Petersburg with their tours, so I did not hear back from her. By 8:45, still no Alla tour rep and we were stressing about how we'd still get to see Berlin. We asked other groups earlier if we could join them and they were full so we could not. At 8:45, my husband went walking around and found a taxi that would take us to Berlin. It was a relief to know we'd still get to go and I'd say he did a great job saving the day. Berlin was fun to see, if only in a whirlwind day. We are glad we did it and that is a city I could go back to and explore in more depth. Alla later answered my email around 5pm, Berlin time, and apparently the tour time had changed to 9:30, but she forgot to tell us. She had told the others from our ship, so we were the only one down there at 8:00 looking for an "Alla" sign. We hit really bad traffic on the way back and we began getting stressed we would not get to the ship in time and nobody would know where we were at. We did make it back in time. We left Berlin at 5pm and we were glad when we were stuck in all the traffic. The boat left at 10:30 instead of 10:00 that night and we think it was because others that had left later were also in the traffic and got back later than they had planned.

More Berlin Reviews Berlin Port Profile Berlin Forum
Helsinki
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Great port. We walked to the city center, which took us an hour. We are used to walking so it was fine to us, but others may want to get a taxi or do the hoho bus, which was there waiting when we got there. We took a ferry to Suomenlinna and that was very enjoyable. The old fortress was pleasant to walk around and we enjoyed it very much. The shopping in Helsinki is fun because the shops have things that crafty and unique from things we see elsewhere.

More Helsinki Reviews Helsinki Port Profile Helsinki Forum
St. Petersburg
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We did a private tour with Alla tours. Our group was 16 in a Mercedes van that was air conditioned. We got a late start due to NCL not letting us off until all their tours had disembarked, so we missed the Farmer's Market and they Hydrofoil unexpectedly closed so we didn't get to go on that as well. I would say Alla tours was efficient and allowed us to see a lot on our two days there. All the camera fee's were included in the price of the tour, except for one. It was offered to us that if we wanted to take pictures, we could pay the fee, we were also advised by our guide that she did not think it was worth it. Nobody in our group paid the extra fee for this place, and we are fine not having pictures from it. NCL tours do not include photo fee's for museums and the pricing for that is on your day sheet that you get the night before. We picked Alla tours because of the early admission to the Hermitage. Don't let this be your only deciding factor because it looked like all the cruise ships in dock that day were there at the same time and it was a bit of a zoo. We took a picture of the crowd waiting to get in, but not sure how to post it here.

More St. Petersburg Reviews St. Petersburg Port Profile St. Petersburg Forum
Tallinn
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We loved Talinn. What a fun place to walk around. Took about 10-15 minutes to get to the old city wall and enter into the cobble stoned streets. There were buses and taxi's waiting at the pier and some people opted to have transportation take them to the top of the old town and then they explored walking back. We walked both directions to the top of old town and back, taking different routes and felt like we got to see a lot. Prices are better here than anywhere else on the cruise for souvenirs and food.

More Tallinn Reviews Tallinn Port Profile Tallinn Forum
Stockholm
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Biggest disadvantage as others have noted is NCL docks an hour away. You tender into port and then you have an hour drive to Stockholm. Reading this ahead of time and not wanting to miss the boat due to being unfamiliar with Stockholm's transportation system, this is the only port we opted to do an NCL tour. At first we wanted just to pay for the 7 hour bus ride, and have free time while we were there. We should have done that. Instead we did the 8 hour bus ride/Vasa Museum/Leisure time in old town. We got to the Vasa and there was a line to get in. In fact, too many people were inside, so we had to wait until groups left until we could go in. Then our tour guide let everyone do a bathroom break and we reunited while she talked for 5 - 10 minutes on the Vasa. She kept saying I will make it quick as I want you to have as much time as possible on your own. Then when she said it was our own time at 11:15am, she said meet me outside at 11:30am. We had 15 minutes and I could have spent longer. I was expecting her to say noon. 45 minutes would have been nice. We then drove to old town and were dropped off at the Opera House for 4 hours of free time.

If I could do it again knowing what I know now, I'd take the NCL bus to get me into town and walk to where we wanted to go. They give everyone a map when you get off the tender boat and the things we wanted to see were not too far if you don't mind walking. The NCL buses begin departing back to the boat around 2pm until 3:30pm. You can pick what any of the buses to come back on. Stockholm is a pretty city.

We talked to someone on the boat and they took the train into Stockholm, transfered to the metro in Stockholm and had a great time with no problems. There was also a HOHO bus at the port, not sure if it's always an option, but that would work as well.

More Stockholm Reviews Stockholm Port Profile Stockholm Forum