Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > redfrock's Port Reviews of Tunis (La Goulette),, Rome (Civitavecchia), Portofino, Monaco

Eurodam cruise in April 2011
Member Name: redfrock
Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Member Review: redfrock's Eurodam Review
Tunis (La Goulette)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We did Best of Tunisia tour. Guide was very informative, especially about the recent Jasmine Revolution. Carthage was v. interesting. I really enjoyed the Bardo museum, where one of the guards allowed us to have a peek in a room being restored - fabulous ceiling. It makes me want to go back.

The Medina is a typical souk, labyrinthine streets, dealers offering to bargain, but not too aggressively. When we stepped down from the bus, a Tunisian woman greeted me happily with 'Bonjour', but not everyone was so friendly. Our guide said if we got lost, everyone would be able to tell us how to get to Kasbah. We had quite a bit of time to wander the souk on our own and we did end up lost. I asked various women (in French) for directions. Some just ignored me completely and others shrugged their shoulders, although they were obviously familiar with the area. Even a female police officer was vague and unhelpful. Another group of young women tried to help, however. The ship information said that if we didn't want to go to the ubiquitous carpet shop visit, we should say so, but I saw someone try this and the guide explained how difficult that would be for him, how he had to tell eveyone where to meet etc, etc. In the end, the couple just came to the demonstration. Having said that, it was more interesting than most, as we saw a woman at work, weaving a carpet and it was nice to see all the different designs.

Sidi Bou Said was a picturesque town, but I felt we spent too much time there. I would have liked to spend more time at Carthage or the Bardo museum. Nevertheless, a very informative and interesting tour.

More Tunis (La Goulette) Reviews Tunis (La Goulette) Port Profile Tunis (La Goulette) Forum
Rome (Civitavecchia)
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We didn't go into Rome. Civitavecchia is not that interesting. There was a shuttle bus provided by our ship, but there is another blue shuttle bus going to a shopping area further into town. I think this may have been the best one to take, but I didn't realise until we were back at port. Both buses were free.

More Rome (Civitavecchia) Reviews Rome (Civitavecchia) Port Profile Rome (Civitavecchia) Forum
Portofino
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Beautiful little port. Expensive shops, expensive restaurants, but you pay for the setting.

Easy to buy a ferry ticket to Portofino just on the dock, where the tender comes in. You can buy a single or return. The ferry runs once every hour - the journey only takes about 15-20 mins. It is a picturesque trip. The coastline is beautiful and looking at all the expensive houses and villas is a sight in itself.

There's also a bus, but to be honest, the ferry is better as it takes you right into the centre of the port. I think you have to trek up a hill to get the bus back.

More Portofino Reviews Portofino Port Profile Portofino Forum
Monaco
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We didn't get off, as we took the opportunity to relax. Monte Carlo is worth seeing though. We have all been there before and the old town is nice. Always a chance of celebrity-spotting.

More Monaco Reviews Monaco Port Profile Monaco Forum