Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > DeepThinker's Port Reviews of Virgin Gorda, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Grenada, Aruba

Celebrity Millennium cruise in April 2011
Member Name: DeepThinker
Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: DeepThinker's Celebrity Millennium Review
Virgin Gorda
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
This was our first time to the British Virgin Islands and we chose the Virgin Gorda Baths tours which is a lot of fun. You do need to be pretty mobile to do this tour as you climb around incredibly huge rocks and up and down rickety ladders. It's hard to believe how these rocks could have been deposited the way they are, very worthwhile! You need to waterproof your camera but there are some awesome shots to be taken.

More Virgin Gorda Reviews Virgin Gorda Port Profile Virgin Gorda Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
St. Maarten is beautiful and very wealthy, it's very arid, all the green you see on the hills aren't trees, they are cactus! Last year we did the Rhino Rider adventure which was a lot of fun, we enjoyed cruising the lagoon and seeing the hundreds of staffed yachts. St. Maarten is known for shopping but most shops are closed on Sunday!

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum
St. Lucia
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Beautiful volcanic island. If you scuba dive then diving in the marine reserve near the Piton is a must! I did not book through the ship since those dives tend not to be advanced to accommodate open water divers. I walked off the ship and booked with a dive master who was taking snorkelers to a beach near the Pitons. We did a drift dive at about 80 feet, gradually rising to about 50 feet. The coral was in excellent shape, great variety, and fantastic schools of fish. Second dive was shallower of course but still very worthwhile. Highly highly recommended!

More St. Lucia Reviews St. Lucia Port Profile St. Lucia Forum
Barbados
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+
Our 3rd time at this island, could the people be any less friendly?? I gather they frown on smiling which is why they frown ALL the time. Next time we are not going to bother getting off the ship. Barbados is just a big bump in the ocean, it's quite industrialized, there are probably some nice areas but we certainly haven't discovered them. The port is ugly too.

More Barbados Reviews Barbados Port Profile Barbados Forum
Grenada
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Grenada has come a long long way, considering it's turbulent history. They have really cleaned up their act and built a beautiful port for the ships to arrive at. We found the people very friendly and enjoyed a glass bottom kayak tour. We felt very safe here and had fun shopping for gifts for our daughters.

More Grenada Reviews Grenada Port Profile Grenada Forum
Aruba
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Now we know why Aruba is so popular but it is expensive as well. It is quite westernized, very clean, very hot, and very beautiful. We did the Pirate sail, snorkel, and swing adventure. I thought it might be hokey but it was fun. The first snorkel spot over a sunken barge was congested, but otherwise ok. Our second snorkel spot was much better, we had purchased a Fujifilm waterproof camera that did video so we were having fun with it. My wife pointed out a nice blue fish but beside it was an octopus, I got great video of it as it moved around changing colour! Then we swam around the ship and encountered millions of sardines, we were completed surrounded, it was so cool. I swam down through them and my wife video taped me. So all in all, a lot of fun.

More Aruba Reviews Aruba Port Profile Aruba Forum
Curacao
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Our last stop this cruise and definitely one of our favourites, what a gorgeous island. I went scuba diving here but unfortunately the coral reefs have been damaged by several hurricanes plus all the development along the shores, I suspect they will never recover. I noticed a number of small resorts that looked very welcoming, I would certainly like to visit here longer.

More Curacao Reviews Curacao Port Profile Curacao Forum