Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > notadoormatt's Port Reviews of Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert

notadoormatt's Port Reviews of Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert
Destination: Alaska
Member Review: notadoormatt's Norwegian Star Review
Ketchikan
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Weather was beautiful, and we were lucky to be there on one of the 50 sunny days of the year. 60-65 degrees was also very nice.

I booked a kayak fishing trip with Ketchikan Kayak Company. When I got back to the ship, I was convinced that I had the best time out of every passenger on board. I got to kayak, catch fish, and feed a bald eagle all in the same trip. Other ship passengers went salmon fishing and caught nothing. There was a bald eagle spotting shore excursion which also returned disappointed.

After the fishing trip, I also had some time to walk around Ketchikan.

My wife also decided not to book a shore excursion in Ketchikan. Instead, she wanted to relax and walk around leisurely. She walked upon the "Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show", and found the tickets to be half the price than if she booked the shore excursion.

More Ketchikan Reviews Ketchikan Port Profile Ketchikan Forum
Juneau
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Glacier bike tour was good. Tour was supposed to include a tour of the Alaskan Brewery, but turned into an Alaskan Beer tasting at a local pub instead. Disappointing!

Ship departure at 1pm did not allow us any time to leisurely walk around Juneau, also disappointing.

More Juneau Reviews Juneau Port Profile Juneau Forum
Skagway
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Original reserved shore excursion was an off road jeep tour into Yukon, Canada.

Upon boarding, we learned that the jeep tour would not be off road, but still at same price.

Two days later, jeep tour was cancelled. Our plan B was bus tour which was sold out.

Upon arrival at Skagway, we had to hit the bricks at 7:30am to find a tour to the Yukon. Thankfully, we found one.

It was great to travel the Klondike Highway and see the Yukon. Like every other stop, I wish we had some time to walk around the town.

More Skagway Reviews Skagway Port Profile Skagway Forum
Prince Rupert
No shore excursions!

We casually walked around town.

We found a nice bar table with wine and cold Canadian beer!

We ate a real meal, instead of the dog food served on the ship.

I did not care that some of the other ship passengers were rude to the merchants, and demanded that they get an extra cent for their American dollar.

Yay, Prince Rupert!