Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > sunnycruiser79's Port Reviews of Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

sunnycruiser79's Port Reviews of Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Member Review: sunnycruiser79's Norwegian Star Review
Cabo San Lucas
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
The Cabo port is a tender port. The Star used their own emergency boats as the tender boats which I thought was interesting (they were a bit crowded though). It only took a few minutes to get from the ship to the pier. We booked an excursion through the ship. Everyone who did this got the first tenders to the pier. If not, you had to go to the lobby early in the morning and get a timed tender ticket. The port was fairly nice and it was clean. There was one shack that had baby lions you could hold as fund raiser for a wild animal rescue. They were so cute!!! It cost $35 to hold two lion cubs for about 5 minutes and get your picture taken with them. The excursion we booked was the Up Close Whale Watching on the Zodiak boats. Each boat hold 15 people. It took us a little while to find some whales, but they put on a show when we found them. It was a amazing!! The swam under and next to our boat. They were surfacing less than 15 feet away. It was unreal. I loved every minute of it. I wish it would have been a little longer, but it was incredible. I would highly recommend this to anyone. I never got wet and wished I had brought my nice camera. I would have still carried it in a water proof case until we found the whales. After the whale watching we hired a boat taxi to take us to Lover's Beach. We arranged with the driver a pick up time prior to getting off the taxi. It was a very pretty beach. The waves were too big to go into the Pacific side, but we did swim on the bay side. The only irritating part of the day was all of the locals who came up to the taxi and "helped" me out wanted a tip. They would follow you asking for a tip. I could have gotten out on my own, but they were in my way. They never helped my husband out, only me. The sunset was pretty as we pulled out of port.

More Cabo San Lucas Reviews Cabo San Lucas Port Profile Cabo San Lucas Forum
Mazatlan
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+
I was a little worried about going to Mazatlan, and it lived up to my concerns. The pier is in this smelly industrial area of the marina and they have trams that take you to the main tourist area. I had booked a Stone Island tour through the boat. NCL used a company called Tropical Tours. From the pier, we took a tram to another part of the dock which was stinky and falling apart. We got on boat that took us to the entrance of the marina and their lighthouse, then turned around and took us to a small pier directly across from the cruise ship. We got off and got onto another tram, this one pulled by a smelly tractor. The tractor took us through this very poor town. We saw some dogs by the road that looked like they were starving. Then we arrived at this "private" beach and restaurant. The tour brochure said that we could choose between a 30 minute beach horseback ride or a horse drawn cart ride. We chose the horseback ride. It ended up being about a 15 minute ride on these poor horses that didn't seem like they were taken very good care of. We went on the beach all of 200 yards then up on a dirt road by the trailer park. Lunch was ok, nothing special. They did have a beach, but with the beach come dozens of vendors who would bother me time and time again. We took a walk down the beach to get away from them and started to notice these green worms all over. I still don't know if they are parasitic or not (and of course I had bare feet). We did ride on the banana boat a few times which was fun. The best part of the excursion was at the end when we left, they had a pinata we got to break. I wasn't very impressed with Mazatlan and will probably never go back.

More Mazatlan Reviews Mazatlan Port Profile Mazatlan Forum
Puerto Vallarta
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We booked the Extreme Canopy tour through NCL. It was awesome. From the pier we took a boat across the bay (about 20-25 minutes). Then we loaded up in these old army trucks for a ride up the mountain. The information given for this excursion states not to bring a camera. Bring one. They won't let you take it while completing the zip lines, but I got some fun pictures on the boat and truck. We reached "Base Camp" where we were fitted with our gear and given instruction. Then we went up to hop on our mules who would take us to the top. The mules seemed well cared for. Their resting spots were covered and fresh water was always available to them there. The mule ride was about 25 minutes to the top. They had 6 guides with our group of 15. Some of the ziplines were really really long and fast. We also did two rappels. One was down a waterfall and the other is a free rappel. The guides have complete control over your descent. You do get completely wet during the adventure. Bring a change of dry clothes with you as you can change afterwards. They had a photographer taking pictures the whole time and you can buy all of your digital pictures at the end. For both of us it cost about $60, but you get all the copy rights to the pictures as well. We had a great time!! It was very fun and exciting. I was a little nervous a few times, but never ever felt like anything was unsafe. Unless you are scared of heights, I would highly recommend this tour.

More Puerto Vallarta Reviews Puerto Vallarta Port Profile Puerto Vallarta Forum