Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > SunLoverMomof3's Port Reviews of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, Ensenada

Carnival Spirit cruise in February 2011
Member Name: SunLoverMomof3
Cruise Date: February 2011
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Member Review: SunLoverMomof3's Carnival Spirit Review
Puerto Vallarta
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
We walked off the ship and took a right turn. There was an information kiosk and they gave us directions to a nearby beach, Playa del Oro. We were able to walk there in 5 minutes. The public access is not clearly visible, you have to walk through Gate 8, then a little strip mall and across a cobblestone parking lot. There is a 10 foot barbed wire fence with a little gate, and there you are on the beach. We walked a little further down the beach and rented a palapa and 2 chairs for $10 from Hacienda Hotel & Spa. This also included 2 drinks and access to an adequate restroom and shower. Our son enjoyed splashing in the waves and we relaxed in the sun. The vendors weren't too bad. I bought a couple carved wooden lizards for $20. We were delighted to have a very pleasant day for very little money! I also used the internet cafe right at the port, I think it was $4 for 30 minutes or $5 for an hour. We always tried to be back on board before 3 so our son could have a nap before dinner.

More Puerto Vallarta Reviews Puerto Vallarta Port Profile Puerto Vallarta Forum
Mazatlan
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
My husband was not feeling well that morning, so we did not head out until after lunch. After taking the compulsory tram to the terminal, we got a taxi to Old Town for $6. We saw the cathedral and the town square. Our son enjoyed feeding the pigeons when some other children shared their rice with him. We walked on the sea walk a little bit and enjoyed the view. We then thought it would be a nice walk back to the ship. It was longer than we thought and we were hot and tired when we got back. We did see a couple of "tourist police" on bicycles and they kind of escorted us back to the ship, in a good way. We weren't unduly concerned with our safety, but it's always nice to know someone is looking out for you in a foreign country!

More Mazatlan Reviews Mazatlan Port Profile Mazatlan Forum
La Paz
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
This was my favorite port. We got off the ship and got on a free bus to Tecolote Beach. It was far less crowded and developed than Peurto Vallarta or Cabo san Lucas. There was just one main restaurant/bar and maybe a couple small ones, but I couldn't really tell if they were open. There were free palapas for shade, no chairs, but the beach was soft! We walked way down to the south (I think!) edge to where the beach ended. Again, our 5 year old loved playing in the water and we were able to relax! We had fish tacos at the restaurant, they were excellent. We ate raw fruits and veggies and used ice at several ports and never had any stomach upset. An absolutely perfect day!

More La Paz Reviews La Paz Port Profile La Paz Forum
Cabo San Lucas
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
It is necessary to take a tender in Cabo, which is a pain. I really wanted to see Cabo, otherwise we would have stayed on board. After waiting about 20 minutes to get off the ship around 10 am, we took a water taxi to the beach for $3 pp. They advertise it at $2, but then they charge an extra dollar bc it's a private dock or some nonsense. I didn't mind paying the fee, I just get very irritated when I feel like someone is scamming me. The water taxi was fun. The beach was crowded, it seemed like there were almost as many vendors as there were tourists. They were not pushy, as soon as I said "no thanks", they simply walked away. My husband bought a Mexican blanket form a gentleman who swore his relative made it by hand in Pueblo, I guess we'll never know for sure! It's pretty either way. The one plus with the crowd was that there were a few other boys for my sone to play with, he seemed to have a lot of fun with his new friends. Since it was such a hassle to get there, we decided to break our rule and stay a little later. We had lunch (chips/salsa, shrimp tacos and a burger - again very good!!!) at The Office. It was a fun beach place. Another $10 water taxi ride back to the port and then tender back to the ship. Easier getting back on than getting off. The boy and I were very tired after our big day, so we slept through dinner and hit the buffet a little later. Hubby had dinner with the rest of the group.

More Cabo San Lucas Reviews Cabo San Lucas Port Profile Cabo San Lucas Forum
Ensenada
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
It was raining when we got to Ensenada. At first we thought we would just stay on board, but I needed to purchase some gifts. We took our son to camp at 9 and got off the ship at about 10. There was a bus for $2-$3 pp. We went to the shopping area and looked around. There was a lot of water in the street, it had been raining for 24 hours. My feet were soaked in my sandals - very unpleasant as the water did not look clean. We got what we needed and got back on board. The sun came out later that afternoon and I sunned myself on deck for a couple hours. This was the only time we had less than perfect weather, so I can't complain.

More Ensenada Reviews Ensenada Port Profile Ensenada Forum