Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > brendasunam's Port Reviews of Acapulco, Cartagena (Colombia), Cabo San Lucas, Punta Arenas

Norwegian Star cruise in January 2011
Member Name: brendasunam
Cruise Date: January 2011
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Member Review: brendasunam's Norwegian Star Review
Acapulco
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
I gave Acapulco a rating of 3 as it has some beautiful sites and shopping but is also overdeveloped and somewhat rundown. We went to see the famous cliff divers and it was well worth it. I got it all on video and I highly recommend that cruisers go there but take a taxi as the hills are very steep.

More Acapulco Reviews Acapulco Port Profile Acapulco Forum
Cartagena (Colombia)
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Cartegena was our first port after leaving Miami. We took a taxi to the old historical area and walked through the town. It was very interesting. I recommend the old Catholic Church as it is beautiful on the inside. I can't remember the name. We ran out of time but I wished we went to the monastery on top of the hill . Everyone said it was beautiful with a great view. It was very hot! Take a taxi to the fort and monastery as the walk is long and too difficult to get to the monastery

More Cartagena (Colombia) Reviews Cartagena (Colombia) Port Profile Cartagena (Colombia) Forum
Cabo San Lucas
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Cabo San Lucas was the most beautiful port we have been to. I highly recommend the whale watching trip which will take you out to the famous arch and there are sea lions on the rocks. We went with a local group and had a lot of fun. We also did shopping and walked around the old part of town. It is more American there as there is a McDonalds and some other Americain type stores. We did the whale watching first thing after getting to the port and had the rest of the day for shopping. As I said in my introduction, please don't go to the photo shops set up for picture taking with baby lion or tiger cubs. I found out later it is a scam and the cubs are not from a reserve at all . They are exploiting the poor animals and when they are too big, they get rid of them. And the rumor is that they are drugged to keep them docile for the pictures. It is a terrible scam and they should be shut down! Otherwise, everything else in the port was great. There are many water activities to do there but there is only so much time.

More Cabo San Lucas Reviews Cabo San Lucas Port Profile Cabo San Lucas Forum
Punta Arenas
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Punta Arenas in Costa Rica was our second stop. We got on a tour bus and didn't tour the town as we went to the Poas Volcano which takes about 2 hours to get there. It is an all day trip- about 7 hours. The countryside by bus is beautiful with mountains and farms all over. I wish we could have actually seen the volcano but it was completely shrouded in mist so that was a little dissappointing. Someone did inform us that many times you can't see it due to mist. Costa Rica does seem a lot safer than some of the other countries we visited. There were no guards with guns at the port. I would love to go back one day and spend more time there.

More Punta Arenas Reviews Punta Arenas Port Profile Punta Arenas Forum