Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > upwarduk's Port Reviews of Seville (Cadiz), Sardinia, Split, Venice, Dubrovnik

upwarduk's Port Reviews of Seville (Cadiz), Sardinia, Split, Venice, Dubrovnik
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Member Review: upwarduk's Celebrity Eclipse Review
Seville (Cadiz)
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
Ports of Call (Seville) Cadiz Thursday 7th October We arrived at 8am and after breakfast were soon off the ship. We could not miss the hop on hop off ( hoho) bus which was outside the dock gates. One had just filled up & was on its way, but we managed to get on the 2nd one. We hopped on 3 occasions. We left the Cathedral until last ( unfortunately) Cadiz was like a ghost town, as it was a religious holiday ( Madonna) This entailed a parade from the Cathedral, which we didn't find out about until it was over. We eventually found the Cathedral square & all we saw were the remnants of the parade- the police. However we did find some shops open there- I had been given the job of buying my grand daughter a Flamenco doll ( help for her Spanish homework) & as our visit to Malaga was on a Sunday , I thought we ought to get it ASAP)

More Seville (Cadiz) Reviews Seville (Cadiz) Port Profile Seville (Cadiz) Forum
Sardinia
Port Rating: Not Rated
Cagliari Saturday 9th October Again an open top bus, but this time we had to walk up into the town. I believe there were only 2 doing the tours, which only took 34 people at a time, so we bought our tickets and had an hour to spare before we started the tour. We found a lift that saved us climbing numerous steps, so went up to get an over view of the city. The time eventually came for our bus tour. It was warm & sunny after the tour, so we sat in the small square , where we had a drink, before we made our way back to the ship.

More Sardinia Reviews Sardinia Port Profile Sardinia Forum
Split
Port Rating: Not Rated
Split Monday 11th October We were told the night before we arrived in Split that it didn’t have the infrastructure for large ships and that we would be tendering. We were also told that the passengers who had booked tours (600) would be taken off the ship first, and that the remainder would collect a tender ticket, when they were ready to go ashore. So, we had our breakfast & I went to collect our tickets- Tender number 34! We waited 3 hrs to get off the ship!! Fortunately, it was warm & sunny & for most of that time we sat on the balcony. One of the officers said , “Have a nice day” as we left I replied “ you mean have a nice half day!” I was told that they had asked for tenders from the shore, but none were forthcoming. Why they couldn’t have used more of the ships lifeboats I don’t know. However, there were only 2 of the jetties in use, so I suppose that could have been an explanation. The Captain himself went ashore, to assess the problem. I am sure a report was sent to Miami, as Silhouette is down for a visit next year. When we eventually stepped ashore, we walked straight into the Diocletian Palace, which was just across the road from the port. We spent time ambling around & watching2 dancers from the ship having photos taken to promote a ballet. We then sat down at a café within the palace walls to have a drink. I asked if they took € ( which they did) I heard later that some passengers had ordered in another café where they didn’t take €, so had to then find a machine to get the local currency( We were in Crotia] ]

More Split Reviews Split Port Profile Split Forum
Venice
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Venice Tuesday 12th October I was up at 05.00 watching the sail in to Venice, but my photos were very dark, as I was watching from the port side, whose buildings were not lit up. When we had arrived in Venice by the shuttle ( $16 p.p return fare) we were approached & persuaded to take a free water taxi to Murano via the ‘back streets.’ We then had a tour of the glass blowing factory, but declined to buy; very expensive prices. We walked around Murano & visited the church, before returning to Venice by Vaparetto (€6.50p.p) Later we walked around St Marks square & had a drink before returning to the ship. As we sat near the gondola terminus, we watched Brilliance of the Seas arriving. We had a wonderful sail away, so many passengers lined the decks to watch. The Gemeni Cruise ship “ Happy Cruises” & MSC Opera had left before us & we passed Regency & Silversea on our way out.

More Venice Reviews Venice Port Profile Venice Forum
Dubrovnik
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Dubrovnik Wednesday 13th October We had had a very pleasant day walking around Dubrovnik. Gemeni Cruise ship "Happy Cruises" was in with us again. Also Thompson Spirit was there when we arrived. We walked through the main street and then walked outside the walls through the East gate. It was my intention to go up in the cable car, but Adrian had other ideas when he saw the queue. So we stayed outside the city, where we found a restaurant which took €. We sat for an hour or so admiring the view. We then walked back through the town, stopping to buy an ice cream for Adrian with change ( 10kn note,approx1€)

More Dubrovnik Reviews Dubrovnik Port Profile Dubrovnik Forum
Palermo
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
Palermo Friday 15th October

This was my least favourite port. It was raining when we arrived, and I had wanted to go to Monreale, where there is a huge DOM. We had agreed to share a taxi, but we didn’t see the people at the C.C meetings to arrange a time. I asked 2 taxi drivers, one wanted €40, the €80. So we went on the road train. There was also a Protest March, which caused 2 of the roads to be closed. We tried to walk back to the cathedral, but my hip started hurting, so we found somewhere for a drink & then returned to the ship via a yacht harbour. The noise created by the traffic was unbelievable; the drivers lacked patience in the extreeme. I was glad to get back to the ship, as the place was very run down.

More Palermo Reviews Palermo Port Profile Palermo Forum