Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > eviet's Port Reviews of Southampton, Liverpool, Le Havre, Belfast

eviet's Port Reviews of Southampton, Liverpool, Le Havre, Belfast
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Member Review: eviet's Crown Princess Review
Southampton
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
This was our embarkation port. Nothing much unless you don't mind a nice brisk walk to town(around 20 minutes). We were first told there "is nothing around here" by one of the staff at embarkation. However, I later asked someone else and she actually mapped out our walk and gave me her phone number in case we got "lost"! That was super nice.

We ended up at the Mall and went to Mark's and Spencer's (M&S) and purchased soft drinks. PCL as well as CCL don't mind if each passenger brings a maximum of 12 cans soda/pop each. So this worked out good for us. Something I wasn't aware of - they charge for your grocery bag (around 25 cents). This was at all M&S stores we went to to "refresh" our soda supply.

Wished we would have known sooner about the area so that we could have spent more time there.

Embarkation took way too long. PCL said the Lifts weren't working. (?) Crowds everywhere.

In case I forget - Debarkation went smoothly. We had PCL transfers so that was good. Don't keep your carry-on with you since you can pick it up when you get to the airport. No need to drag them all the time. We each just kept our backpacks.

More Southampton Reviews Southampton Port Profile Southampton Forum
Liverpool
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Though not the first port I had to mention it first. This was the best port of them all. Even to Paris, yes, even to Paris. We booked online with busybus.com and Peter - pronounced - Peetur - was the very, very, very, best guide we've had on any of our cruises. The value was unbelievable for the Northern Wales Cruise Special - if you go - you will not regret it. Beautiful country - wonderful guide - what more could you ask for? :)

You can go to their website and choose Lounge and see pictures of the "tourist" in action. He takes pictures while we aren't watching. Really neat.

But book early so you won't be disappointed.

More Liverpool Reviews Liverpool Port Profile Liverpool Forum
Le Havre
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
We booked with PCL only because of the short time there. Otherwise would have taken the train on our own. Though later I heard at the airport; that some passengers did go on the train but it was a bit risky.

We chose the Paris on your own - prety pricey - but we did not know if and when we'd get a chance to go back to Paris.

The bus/coach ride took around 2.5 hours - not bad - we had around 4 1/2 to 4.75 hours on our own. However, the attractions are opposites of each other so if you have trouble walking - it will be a strain on you. Trust me.

I had purchased online tickets for the Eiffel Tower and chose the 12:30 time giving us time for "problems" on the way. First mistake: We were at the Tower at 11:25 and had to wait for the scheduled time we chose. So, if you are in good health and can walk briskly; it probably is safe for you to book your online lift/stairs tickets for the 11:30am - if available - this way you safe an hour for the Arch and the Louvre.

We purchased from the official website. Make sure you choose correctly!! I picked the 2nd level only thinking it was for the 3rd level also and was dissappointed. Though it turned out OK since the lines were pretty deep for the last level and with having lost an hour already; well you get the picture.

All in all, it was amazing to see the Tower; the Louvre; and a glimpse of the Arch. One warning - there are signs all over about pickpockets. I did not trust to give my camera for anyone to take a pic of me and my husband; :( Also, many of the people there you could not make out if they were tourists or locals So just beware. Best thing is look out for others from the ship and then take the pics.

More Le Havre Reviews Le Havre Port Profile Le Havre Forum
Belfast
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
On our own. Took the bus - walked to the Castle - Amazing homes; beautiful area - people so friendly. A wedding was being set up for the castle. Just very nice.

More Belfast Reviews Belfast Port Profile Belfast Forum