Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > Tangoguy's Port Reviews of Cochin, Mumbai (Bombay), Dubai, Alexandria, Athens (Piraeus)

Azamara Quest cruise in April 2010
Member Name: Tangoguy
Cruise Date: April 2010
Embarkation: Singapore
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Member Review: Tangoguy's Azamara Quest Review
Cochin
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+
Not worth commenting other than to say it was hot, humid, dirty, and uninteresting.

More Cochin Reviews Cochin Port Profile Cochin Forum
Mumbai (Bombay)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Interesting city with some great architecture, courtesy of the British Raj. Could have stayed a couple days for further investigation of the city.

More Mumbai (Bombay) Reviews Mumbai (Bombay) Port Profile Mumbai (Bombay) Forum
Dubai
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
Certainly was an eye opener for us. City was wonderful...amazing what can be done with virtually unlimited funds.

More Dubai Reviews Dubai Port Profile Dubai Forum
Alexandria
Port Rating: 3.0 out of 5+
The city itself I found to be only moderately interesting however my travel partner went to the Pyramids and found them interesting. Frankly, I would be just as happy to watch "Return of the Mummy" in a movie theatre and not have to endure the long bus ride to and from the Pyramids.

More Alexandria Reviews Alexandria Port Profile Alexandria Forum
Athens (Piraeus)
Port Rating: 1.0 out of 5+
I rate Athens as a "one" only because there isn't a "zero" rating. The city is dirty, smelly, and it is populated with the most dour and unsmiling people I have ever had the misfortune to encounter during my travels.

Accommodations were expensive and of modest quality. Most people we encountered smoked cigarettes on the streets, in cafes and most everywhere else except for the subway which had it's own horrors, being filled with rapacious pick pockets.

In our particular case, my friend had her camera lifted from her purse while we were on the subway. BE WARNED, the pick pockets work in teams of three or four. When you are spotted as a tourist they zero in on you and separate you from your travelling companions so that your view of each other is restricted and then they go to work. Don't let anyone help you take your suitcase on board the subway.

While we were stuck in Athens we visited the Acropolis and found the statues defaced. We think Lord Elgin did the right thing by removing the frescos to his estate and then to the British museum. The Acropolis itself was dirty and uncared for. The statues were filthy and the pathways were strewn with cigarette butts and other garbage.

Unfortunately we happened to be in Athens during the riots and the general strike but I don't think that coloured our opinion of the city. Athens is one place I will certainly avoid in future travels.

More Athens (Piraeus) Reviews Athens (Piraeus) Port Profile Athens (Piraeus) Forum