Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > dolfndreams's Port Reviews of St. John (U.S.V.I.), Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten

Carnival Victory cruise in February 2010
Member Name: dolfndreams
Cruise Date: February 2010
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Member Review: dolfndreams's Carnival Victory Review
St. John (U.S.V.I.)
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Did Carnival Island tour on St. John, it did let me get some great overlook shots of the beaches and homes, not something I would do twice mainly because it was difficult to see much except at overlook points since foliage was too tall. Our guide while adequate was pretty basic, the other bus's guide seemed a bit more energetic.

It did let me know I would be snorkeling down at Trunk Bay next year, absolutely stunningly beautiful.

More St. John (U.S.V.I.) Reviews St. John (U.S.V.I.) Port Profile St. John (U.S.V.I.) Forum
Dominica
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Loved this island. I did Bumpiing tours per CC recommendations and they were great. Vivian was our guide and he was great, told us about the island, fed us as many drinks as we could hold (local beer, water, soda). Swam into Titou Gorge, walked to the waterfalls (next year hoping to do the Middleham falls but not in good enough shape this year), visited the volcano (could have missed this without a problem, but not bad) and finished up snorkeling at Champagne Reef. Back at the ship an hour or so before leaving.

Roads here are not something I would attempt, still trying to figure out how they would pass each other:) Driver was excellent though and felt completely safe. Gorgeous views on the drive, beautiful rainforest country. My favorite island I think.

More Dominica Reviews Dominica Port Profile Dominica Forum
Barbados
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Silvermoon Catarmaran here. I only rate it a 4 in comparison to the others. A very good experience but next year will try to get on the 12 person catamaran. They met us at port and were soon on the catamaran.

I think I had my expectations a bit higher because of rave reviews and while they were very good the 24 person catamaran was about the same as other excursions I had done. I suspect the personal attention would be much higher on the 12 person. Crew polite and fellow passengers were great. Lots of space to spread out and meal was good. Blender broken so no pina coladas (and if that is your biggest complaint for a day things are pretty good:) Meal was good if not exceptional and the warm banana bread was great.

A beautiful sailing day, swam with the turtles taking lots of pictures and over the shipwreck, good but not the best snorkeling I was able to do this trip. Lovely time all together and will definitely try to be back with them next yer.

More Barbados Reviews Barbados Port Profile Barbados Forum
St. Lucia
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Had to do Cosal tours based on the reviews and it was as good as they say. Redbird (Cosal's brother) was our guide. All the people gathered in the plaza right off the ship and they split us all up in to parties of 8-10. Lots of room in the van. Definitely didn't feel as crowded as you would think it should with as many vans as they had (I think 8 on this day). They stagger so you are the only van at most stops and where we all met up there was food and the blue van with all the drinks.

Rum punch was awesome, and the food stop for a mixture of sampler trays of local foods was great (Piton chicken amazing). Lots of stops for pictures, a small boat ride over to a beach (fires burning all over the island since they had no rain for 3 monts) so the beach stop was a bit shorter than normal, falling rocks from the cliffs/fire kept us from snorkeling. We didn't see any but security was clearing out every one. Since I had forgotten to bring a swimsuit (Reminder to self, never forget your swimsuit you will be getting wet/swimming:)

Ended with a stop on the way back to the boat for hot bread/cheese that was amazing.. I am still in awe at the smooth running of this excursion, we were out for 7hrs and it flew by, saw an incredible amount of the island. Great job by Cosal and definitely will repeat next year. If this is the island with a 3 month drought I want to see it at its best. Lovely

More St. Lucia Reviews St. Lucia Port Profile St. Lucia Forum
St. Kitts
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Went with Rose & Jim's taxi to see St. Kitts. We had Rose a nice english lady who had married a local and lived on the island for 26+ years. Learned alot and have some great pictures especially from around the Batik factory. I enjoyed this tour but not quite as enjoyable (hard to follow Cosal I'm afraid) We did end with Cockleshell beach, crowded and not really my thing.

Two couples and I asked to be taken back early to the ship and Rose was great in doing so and coming back for the 4 who had wanted to stay at the beach. Definitely would recomend Rose & Jim although I will pick another tour operator next time just for a different perspective on the island. Again drought here but still green and lovely. Great photo ops at Brimstone fortress/coastline and Batik factory grounds.

More St. Kitts Reviews St. Kitts Port Profile St. Kitts Forum
St. Maarten
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
I was afraid I would be to tired by this point but this ended up being one of my favorite excursions. I signed up for Captain Alan's 3 island Snorkel based on some trip advisor reviews mostly. It was incredibly fun. Small boat but only 5 of use 2 local vactioners, a british couple from the ship next to us and me. I'm sorry not to remember the guide's name because he was amazing. Friendly helpful and a great person to spend the day with.

Snorkeled at three different locations and he tried to get us close to watch a Regatta that was taking place that day, sails as far as the eye could see which was a nice bonus. Since they can't go where they used to for the volcanic mud bath he brought some along and took us to a beautiful beach and brought a bucket with the mud he mixed up. With his promises this would take off 16years:) we slathered up with the mud, let it dry then off for a swim in the bluest water I've ever seen. Fun and it really did make my skin feel amazing. You will however be showering off sand back at the ship, well worth it.

Wonderful way to end the cruise, fast bouncy boat ride, lots of snorkeling and laughter. Another repeat for next year, they usually see turtles etc per our guide, even without special sightings a great day.

More St. Maarten Reviews St. Maarten Port Profile St. Maarten Forum