Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > ihatechicago's Port Reviews of Costa Maya, Guadeloupe, Belize City, Cozumel, New Orleans

Norwegian Spirit cruise in February 2010
Member Name: ihatechicago
Cruise Date: February 2010
Embarkation: New Orleans
Member Review: ihatechicago's Norwegian Spirit Review
Costa Maya
Port Rating: 4.0 out of 5+
Having been to Costa Maya before we knew that there wasn't much there. We took the $3 bus to town, got off at the second stop not Tequila Beach. This stop is the beach end with several options.You walk down the beach and several people stop you and show you there menus with prices. Pick the one you like, they seat you at a table on the beach and it yours for the day. We tried a place called El Faro. The drinks were cold, the food was great,and the service was great.I got a massage upstairs for $20, wasn't the best I've had but it beat paying $100+ on the ship. It was for an hour. You can also get a beach massage if you want but I don't do sun well so I chose the shade. The only thing I didn't like was when the bill came they added $5 for tax. I laughed and said there's no tax in Mexico. I gave him the money with a nice a tip, he earned it.Any taxi at the beach will take you back for $2 a person. Getting back on the boat was a breeze, just show your card, didn't even need an ID.

More Costa Maya Reviews Costa Maya Port Profile Costa Maya Forum
Guadeloupe
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
THIS IS GUATEMALA,it wasn't listed in the options. There are a lot of warnings about travelling alone here. So take a tour. The cruise ship offered tours and we thought the prices were to high.When you get off the ship and go into there little port there they have plenty of tour guides offering the same tours that the ship offers. We took a 4-5 hour Rio Dulce river cruise with a tour of Livingston and it was beautiful. The tour guides English wasn't the best but the scenery was great.It cost us $30 per person and was worth every penny. The boat stopped for a break at a hot spring. They served beer or soda there then we went to Livingston for a short walking tour and then a restaurant in town for lunch and a cultural dance show.I would highly recommend this tour. Back at the port they had a nice selection of goods that were different from the typical Mexico wares and the prices were pretty cheap. We bought some Guatemalan coffee for $5 a lb and it was very good.

More Guadeloupe Reviews Guadeloupe Port Profile Guadeloupe Forum
Belize City
Port Rating: 2.0 out of 5+
This port is a tourist trap. Everything was very expensive and it was really crowded. We ate at the Wet Lizard which was recommended by our cruise director and the portions were small and not that good but the prices were high. The prettiest part of Belize however was the port area. They offered a city tour inside the port for $35 in a van that holds 9-12 people. We went outside the gate and were immediately approached by local tour guides with goverment tour ID's around their neck offering private city tours for $20. We took this tour and basically got in this guys private minivan and he took us around the town explaining all the neighborhoods and tourist attractions.The city of Belize is very rundown and poor. There are no beaches for miles here. I was not impressed with this city at all. He did take us to a shop in town where we bought a couple of shirts much cheaper than at the dock.

More Belize City Reviews Belize City Port Profile Belize City Forum
Cozumel
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I've been to Cozumel 4 times and still love it. Despite the constant selling tactics and despite Diamonds International taking over this is still a nice place. If you can, get off the main street and stray a little to the flea markets right behind the main strip. The deals are good and the people are very friendly. Never a fear of being mugged here. Many good restaurants to eat here also. I didn't do a tour here this time but this is the place for snorkeling.

More Cozumel Reviews Cozumel Port Profile Cozumel Forum
New Orleans
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
As I opened with, the best vacation spot in America. The best food, the best music, the best drinks, and the friendliest people in America. Make sure you spend some time here, check out a festival if you can and go to K-Pauls, the best restaurant in the world period!

More New Orleans Reviews New Orleans Port Profile New Orleans Forum