Member Reviews
Home > Member Reviews > loulou562's Port Reviews of Stanley, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Montevideo, Buenos Aires

Star Princess cruise in February 2010
Member Name: loulou562
Cruise Date: February 2010
Embarkation: Buenos Aires
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Member Review: loulou562's Star Princess Review
Stanley
Port Rating: 5+ out of 5+
We loved the Falklands. I would still arrange a tour in advance because on port days the population of this island doubles. There is going to be someone who can't get a car or tour. Our friends just hired someone when they got off and had no problem. Other people we spoke with arranged outside of Princess and were very happy. We booked our tour way in advance because we just did not want to take the chance of our boy not getting to see penguins. I wish we would have had more time to spend here. The tender rides are a little rough, but we thought it was fun. We don't mind getting tossed about.

More Stanley Reviews Stanley Port Profile Stanley Forum
Ushuaia
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
I would have not booked a tour in advance here. There are tons of kiosks and drivers just waiting for you. The tour we took was supposed to be a hike that ended up being alot more physical than we planned. It was fun, but messy. My son took it all in stride(in Wellies). We were slogging through peat bogs for a couple of hours. The flora was spectacular. Find a place to eat King Crab, you won't be disappointed. Dress in Layers!!

More Ushuaia Reviews Ushuaia Port Profile Ushuaia Forum
Punta Arenas
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
You can arrange tours when you get here cheaper. If you are planning to go out to see the penguins, bring jackets, gloves and tight hats. It is windy and cold no matter when you go. Another wild tender ride. It took some of our group over half an hour to get to the boat after leaving the dock. The town is great to wander around. There is lot's to see so get out there early.

More Punta Arenas Reviews Punta Arenas Port Profile Punta Arenas Forum
Montevideo
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
Here is yet again a place that you can arrange a tour when you get there. You just cannot see enough in the short time span unless you arrange a tour. We went down to Punte Del Este. I thought it was very interesting to see where the River plate meets the Atlantic. I would love to go back here and spend a week or more. There was not nearly enough time to enjoy this port. We had to be back on the ship at 430pm for a 5pm sailing. It was the last night so I understand there was lots to do, packing, etc.

More Montevideo Reviews Montevideo Port Profile Montevideo Forum
Buenos Aires
Port Rating: 5.0 out of 5+
This is where we started and finished. If you have lots of luggage I recommend arranging a tour that picks you up from the ship with your bags and deposits you at the airport later. We spent three days here before and one night after the cruise. The yellow bus tour is great. It's one of those self guided things that you can ride along and get off/on when you want at their stops. BA is, to me, just like NY city. We stayed down in the garment district at the Best Western. It isn't the prettiest location, but the people were friendly, the price was great, breakfast was included and there was internet access, microwave, blowdryer and fridge. Tip***The Peruvian restaurant three doors down is the best!!! Manos Cirollos I think is the name. Takes a while to get your food, but totally worth it. We kept going back for the ceviche everyday. If you want to experience Argentina, get out of the city. But, if you can wrap your mind around the fact that BA is like NYC you will appreciate it and enjoy it very much. San Telmo was fun. We thought the "Gaucho" tour was OK, but the food was terrible and we got the same dance exhibitions, etc on the ship without the horses, of course.

More Buenos Aires Reviews Buenos Aires Port Profile Buenos Aires Forum